Author Topic: MP and Co's Trip Around the World in Thirteen Days  (Read 49867 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: MP and Co's Trip Around the World in Thirteen Days
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2015, 06:01:09 PM »
Thanks for everyone's nice message

As this board is used by a mostly 'halacha keeping, keeping crowd I was wondering about a valid point. How would people like it when a guy wrote in his trip report that he went to a brothel every night?!
People take notes and plan their trip according to other trip reports and this could be a major 'chet' that people don't realize. This is not cholov stam or cholov yisroel issue.

The op can respond if he chooses to or ignore it. If you dont like the question to bad!

+1

TRs are a great resource for people who are planning trips. People assume that most TRs are written by frum jews and therefore wouldn't think that certain sights/attractions may be halachically problematic.

If the OP's Rabbi was ok with him visiting, he should - as most people do- make it clear this is something to AYLOR. There is nothing wrong in discussing it, it is discussed plenty in the Rome thread for example.

Having said that, the tone of the original questioner was definitely disrespectful.

Again, no one is suggesting that asking the question is inappropriate.

However, the forum in which it was asked, the tone in which it was asked, and the manner in which it was asked, were all indeed inappropriate.  If you personally have a religious issue with someone's vacation choice, feel free to ask him via PM, or your LOR about it, and share that point of view--if you feel so inclined--in a separate thread.  It's isn't common courtesy to thread-crap someone else's TR with your own religious agenda, especially--as in this case--the issue is far from clear cut.

TR's are shared as a kindness to the community; the OP shouldn't have to defend his choices, or explain the motivations behind them, to the self-appointed religious hanhala of DDF.  At the very most, a respectful comment of "FYI for the community: visiting temples could be considered halachically questionable by some. It would be wise to consult your LOR before doing so. Great TR!"

Finally, anyone who follows blindly the trip-planning info contained in TRs without adapting that info to his own use would be akin to doing something "well, because he did it!"

I'll answer what every 2nd grade morah answers in response: "Well, if he jumped off a bridge, would you?"
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2015, 06:03:37 PM »
I do agree it is a AYLOR situation, but do people really follow blindly what others have done. I always use TR's as a guide and build off of that.

+1, absolutely. It would be asinine to suggest doing the Kalalau Trail with 2 infants because "I saw on DDF that this other guy did it, so we can too, honey! Never mind we're different people, with different family structures, needs and desires!"

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline chuchem

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2015, 08:10:26 PM »
I think people are reacting badly here and taking it personal... maybe because they know they themselfs did it and can't really justify it, but never mind...

To the op, I did thailand 2 years in a row and while you see the a'z all over there is a difference of seeing it and not caring or specially going there and having 'hanoe' taking pics and saying how amazing it is...
I did hkg and didn't go look at the buddah or the summer palace in bejing and skipped the Tempel part

I will ask my own rabbi, but just curious if someone here did and got a ok or just doing it and not caring about the halacha

Offline Hershelsdeals

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2015, 08:30:28 PM »
How about moving the Halacha questions to a separate dedicated thread. Mods?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2015, 09:54:51 PM »
I think people are reacting badly here and taking it personal... maybe because they know they themselfs did it and can't really justify it, but never mind...

To the op, I did thailand 2 years in a row and while you see the a'z all over there is a difference of seeing it and not caring or specially going there and having 'hanoe' taking pics and saying how amazing it is...
I did hkg and didn't go look at the buddah or the summer palace in bejing and skipped the Tempel part

I will ask my own rabbi, but just curious if someone here did and got a ok or just doing it and not caring about the halacha

Finally the true colors shine.  You're "just curious if someone . . . is just doing it and not caring about halacha." Call the mashgiach! Light the pitchforks! Down with the OP!

OK, so now we know all know you skipped the Buddha and every other temple. Congratulations. Your holier than thou attitude is off-putting and has no place here. Either be respectful or move on, bro.

I'm done with this topic.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 10:06:39 PM by AJK »

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2015, 11:23:53 PM »
yes, I am curious. Not about the op, but people jewish people in general going

A few people have writen that they went to these type of places and it seems that its ok and no issue to go, unless all people here don't care about basic haloche (one of the aseres hadibrois we read this shabbes!) So I am bringing up a valid question after reading such a visit once again

people take this question very personal here, I wonder why....

Offline MosheD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2015, 12:00:21 AM »
We are liberal over here. The move is to attack the question instead of providing an answer.  :o :o

Offline shwarmabob

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2015, 12:05:38 AM »

chuchem, your have a valid question in general, however it may be the wrong place to ask when MP is on vacation. Maybe there should be a separate thread for the many valid halachik questions that arise while traveling. Also you can never blindly follow what other -even frum- people do, there are different hashkafos and minhagim, interests.
I am not sure where you get the idea that looking or taking a picture is "honoah". Additionally, most of today's idol-worshippers are not true idol-worshipers, they simply follow the tradition of their ancestors - they have their own yeridas hadoros - without actually worshiping and believing in idols - see Chullin 6. But AYLOR.

Offline DMYD

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2015, 12:13:13 AM »
I don't understand why anyone has the right to ruin MPs TR! He is writing a TR and stuff that don't belong here are being discussed. I hope Mods move them to the correct threads.

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2015, 12:53:48 AM »

yes, I am curious. Not about the op, but people jewish people in general going

A few people have writen that they went to these type of places and it seems that its ok and no issue to go, unless all people here don't care about basic haloche (one of the aseres hadibrois we read this shabbes!) So I am bringing up a valid question after reading such a visit once again

holy smokes. You really don't get it,
you wanna talk about a subject, fine open up ur own thread.

STOP CRAPING UP THIS THREAD

Especially when the OP's doing us a favor by writing this TR while he's on vacation

Offline Super Speed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2015, 01:35:01 AM »
holy smokes. You really don't get it,
you wanna talk about a subject, fine open up ur own thread.

STOP CRAPING UP THIS THREAD

Especially when the OP's doing us a favor by writing this TR while he's on vacation
+1

Offline MosheD

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2015, 02:33:49 AM »
OK ok ok, everyone shut up! Everythe this is bumped I get excited about a new segment...
(I know I'm being hypocritical now)

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2015, 07:30:01 AM »
Part Six:

Today was a day where we just hung out and relaxed at the hotel. Waking up a little later, spending some time at the pool and beach and just sitting around. We did have photo session that we booked through the hotel. They offer a free framed photo and some other packaged purchase options if you want additional pictures. Tomorrow we are going to be doing another full day tour, so having this rest day was really nice.

Since this was a rather short post, I figure I can go over the food options we brought along. We had bought some frozen items from our local store and packaged them into meals we would want. For example, we put mozzarella sticks and pizza bits in a container and froze that. Doing this we were able to save some money on food costs and did not have lots of leftovers that would be wasted. For the rest of the meals we had some meat and some dairy dishes from Noah’s Ark/Shelly’s. Of the packaged food we put together ourselves, we found the eggrolls and blintzes came out fairly well and were a good options. The pizza bagels we brought did not work out, as the foil held onto all the cheese and we were left with a bagel and sauce. We had a similar issue with the pizza we got from Shelly’s, though we were not expecting that to be an issue originally. They did seem to have it packaged well, though for some unexplained reason, they put foil under the pan cover and we were left with no cheese. For the meat dishes we got from them, the chickens were great and we liked the meatballs and spaghetti. Unlike Pomegranate, you don’t really get much of an option for side dishes, and we had no say at all, as we ordered during the Nine Days and had to take what they had. For future orders, we will likely go with the “junior” size that Noah’s Ark offers, as we consistently have leftovers.

Until tomorrow…
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline yochiek93

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2015, 10:05:12 AM »

As this board is used by a mostly 'halacha keeping, keeping crowd I was wondering about a valid point. How would people like it when a guy wrote in his trip report that he went to a brothel every night?!
People take notes and plan their trip according to other trip reports and this could be a major 'chet' that people don't realize. This is not cholov stam or cholov yisroel issue.

The op can respond if he chooses to or ignore it. If you dont like the question to bad!
you asked the question once and the op ignored it why ask it again leave him alone and this TR

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2015, 10:09:00 AM »

I would personally like to read that one.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2015, 11:18:28 AM »
you asked the question once and the op ignored it why ask it again leave him alone and this TR

Well, because then he couldn't "satisfy his curiosity" at the expense of the OP, that's why.

Must. know. whether. OP. is. committing. a. sin. so. I. can. call. him. out. in. public.

I would personally like to read that one.

You and me both :)

Offline shwarmabob

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2015, 06:02:25 AM »
Well, because then he couldn't "satisfy his curiosity" at the expense of the OP, that's why.

Must. know. whether. OP. is. committing. a. sin. so. I. can. call. him. out. in. public.

You and me both :)
lol, is there a guided tour?

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2015, 06:44:28 AM »
Part Seven:

Today’s first stop was picking up Tom Brady from the Grand Hyatt. We had made up to share a tour for the today and we would pick him up. Once we got everyone together, we were off to our first stop on the East Bali tour. Stop one was the Kerta Gosha Justice Palace, which was a bit over an hour away from the Nusa Dua and the hotel area. The palace very similar to a lot of the locations we had seen already. There were some nice walking paths, a large area of water with some structure in the middle as well. This location happened to have a “museum” as well, which took about 5-10 minutes to walk through the three rooms. After walking through the area, we spent some time walking around the market area across the street. This was not a tourist market, and had some more local wares for sale.

Justice Palace:

Justice Palace II:

The second stop was the Tenganan Village, which was around 35-40 minutes (IRRC) from the justice palace. This village I believe was to be what the people used to live like, but it didn’t seem much different than other places. Every door entrance was selling some kind of sarong or other souvenir to all the tourists. There were also a lot of roosters running around, some in very bright colors, while other were in some kind of a cage. We did see a sign promoting cock fighting, and some guy seemed to even offer us a show, but we passed on it. We did come across some cactus like plants that were covered in eggshells, with no real reason or explanation as to why that was.

Eggshell Tree:

Pink Chicken:

Interesting Village Signage:

Village Cordless Phone:

Stop three was the Tirtagangga water garden and another long drive to get there. As with the theme of the stops, this had lots of water features, walking paths, some structures and nice landscaping. They had a nice stepping path through one of the water areas that was pretty cool to walk through. They even had an area that you could go swimming in, for an additional fee. After walking around and hanging out for a bit, we were heading back to the car and our next stop.

Water Stepping Stones:

Stepping Stones:

Not Sure What This Means:

Stop four was the Ujung water palace. This was another drive and had similar features as the previous water garden. While a lot of the locations had very similar themes, it did not feel like we were seeing the same thing over and over again. This water palace had an enormous lake type area, much bigger than the others we had seen and a large walking bridge running right through the center. There were stairs going up the side, which provided a great view of the area.

View from The Top:

The last stop was about and hour and half away, but back towards our hotel, so it was not too stressful thinking about the drive.  We were to be stopping at a salt making village, but it turned out to be more of a single hut that was making the salt. There was a guy that had buckets draped over his shoulders, he would fill it up in the ocean and then sprinkle it on the sand. They would then take the sand, press out the water through a filter, than let it sit in the sun until it became salt. IT was pretty interesting to see, but something you can see in ten minutes.

Salt Making:

Once done with the salt, we were back on the road to the hotel. The drive went by rather quickly and we were sitting in the lounge sharing a few drinks before Tom Brady had to head back to his hotel. Overall, we had a nice time and found out a lot about Mr. Brady’s whirlwind tour through Asia and the Middle Eat (look out for his TR). Tomorrow is our last day here and we plan to spend most of the day just hanging around the hotel.  We are looking forward to getting some time in Singapore and ever closer to or Emirates flights.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline mgarfin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2015, 08:40:50 AM »
Sorry for the ignorance who is Tom Brady?  :)

Offline TimT

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile