Topic Wiki

WEDNESDAY February 14, 8:00pm EST NBC
THURSDAY February 15, 7:30pm EST NBC

Practice runs Tuesday 2/13. Video at 0:17 and 1:37

Author Topic: Ask AJ Edelman Anything: DDF Member And Member Of The 2018 Israel Olympic Team!  (Read 78499 times)

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
    • Israel Olympian AJ Edelman / Israel Bobsled BobTeam Edelman
  • Location: A bobsled track going 90mph, or in a plane doing 500.
  • Programs: Sleeping-on-couches (Hachnasat Orchim) Diamond
The only thing I can think of is, WHERE IS THE DD SHOUT OUT??
Couldn't.  Massive violation of rule 40 prohibiting any speech related to organizations that don't pay tons of money to the IOC.  Called the "anti-athlete" rule, I cannot mention DD at the Games, even for all of Dan's starpoints, Chase points, and MR points combined.

Offline davidrotts63

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
Couldn't.  Massive violation of rule 40 prohibiting any speech related to organizations that don't pay tons of money to the IOC.  Called the "anti-athlete" rule, I cannot mention DD at the Games, even for all of Dan's starpoints, Chase points, and MR points combined.
We'll let it pass this time.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Now that there is no need for cash donations, we will start donating HT's for AJ. I will start by donating my HT that Dan won't give me.

Bobsled/Skeleton Israel is a 501c3, so if you are interested in a tax-deductible donation to help me cover my costs that im still paying for from the last 4 years, you can check out IsraelSkeleton.com/go.  Though to be very fair there are many tzedakot more important--a favorite of mine is Rav Machlis in Yerushalayim. 

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
We'll let it pass this time.

After violating rule 50 with the Samson helmet, I spray painted over my spikes which had "im tirtzu" and "am Yisrael Chai" on them with spray paint.  Those were also rule 50 violations. Basically as a zionist I was a walking rule 50 violation.  Breaking rule 40---that'd have been the icing on the cake :p

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Can't seem to find it.
The commentator they stuck on the online stream was horrible, and probably never saw skeleton in his life. Watching the replay on the sassvideo page makes me cringe because he seems to not know much about the track, sport, etc.
Bree Schaff on NBC Sports coverage of it on TV would be far more insightful, as would Shelley Rudman for the UK viewers, Montgomery on Canadian broadcasting--I need to find one of those.  Bree would be a good one to watch, if anyone DVRd it.

Offline CS1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
After violating rule 50 with the Samson helmet, I spray painted over my spikes which had "im tirtzu" and "am Yisrael Chai" on them with spray paint.  Those were also rule 50 violations. Basically as a zionist I was a walking rule 50 violation.  Breaking rule 40---that'd have been the icing on the cake :p

some muscle guy breaking down pillars; can't that just be an athlete? Who says that it's a Samson guy?
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
A crash is due to a number of factors, but generally problems start a corner or two back.  If you dont get the correct entry into a curve (lets say you enter a little too far left or right, the pressures can come on quicker/harsher/differently, or you might have steered wrong and caused a problematic exit.  In the Olympics, with the exception of Ghana we are all experienced and decent drivers (although Jamaica's times were helped immensely by his sprinting start, he was significantly outdriven by the remainder of the field).  Even the best drivers have problems on corner 2 and 9 on this track.  I'm a good driver (couldn't make the Games without driving well given my slow sprint), and I went airborne in 9-->12 chicane on the last run.

A good observation on over-driving--generally people overdrive when they get into trouble and they make things worse.  It happens to all of us--you get into trouble and your brain thinks it can extricate itself by just finding the fast lines.  But every time you steer you cut ice and slow yourself. Sometimes best thing is to just lay there.  I will remember of all the times in my career on a sled, this was the race i executed that well.  I went completely airborne on that last run, and managed to completely regain my position and cancel out almost all steering in the subsequent corners to try and get some speed back.

Going first/last also makes a huge difference, I was disappointed when I got last in the draw of 30 the evening before the race.  Generally the track deteriorates over the course of a race.  Going early you get the benefit of the fresh spritz they put on the ice--it's generally quicker.  the ice can deteriorate as the weather warms, or it can play games with your equipment setup, if you've set it up for colder and it goes warmer over an hour etc.

Thanks for the insightful answers, and congrats for realizing your dream!
Visibly Jewish

Offline ash

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
congratulation a
on representing .... Thank You

Offline mlomni

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Just came across this article on OU.org
Nice little family history.

https://www.ou.org/life/inspiration/hebrew-hammer-lifes-platinum-medal/

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile

Lol, he should've come here to ask all his questions.

Offline noturbizniss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile

Half decent article. Except for the nauseating shidduch part. Also, just a drop of research would have saved all those tissues. Too lazy to. Find it but aj said and it was very common knowledge that he really had no chance at medaling
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline ADG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile

Going first/last also makes a huge difference, I was disappointed when I got last in the draw of 30 the evening before the race.  Generally the track deteriorates over the course of a race.  Going early you get the benefit of the fresh spritz they put on the ice--it's generally quicker.  the ice can deteriorate as the weather warms, or it can play games with your equipment setup, if you've set it up for colder and it goes warmer over an hour etc.

Going last is best in other competitions (like hlf pipe). Its an interesting distinction.

Congrats again!

Offline ShlockDoc

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
So what's next for you, AJ?  Can you use this experience to speak to kids and earn a living or is it back to the daily grind for you?

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Why does home field advantage play such a large role in Skeleton, but not as much in Bobsled or Luge?

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
So what's next for you, AJ?  Can you use this experience to speak to kids and earn a living or is it back to the daily grind for you?
Speaking to kids is my passion. It is the fulfillment of my goal. Earning a living would be nice. I need to start a family and need to start earning parnassa. Skeleton is extremely dangerous on the brain I think and so I don't believe another cycle is in the cards for me. I started using a helmet that could reduce impacts to the head and innovated on my sled setup to act in conjunction with it. Unfortunately though it was not illegal and was approved at two races, the helmet shape was disallowed at the games, (I'm told after intervention as well from a coach of one of my competitors who I handily beat, as it seemed that the helmet was on track to be okayed again until it was abruptly shot down). Unfortunately this absolutely affected my performance as my position on the sled was based on where I situated my head with this particular helmet on.  You can note a difference in the flag on the chin for my original helmet I showed you guys vs. My race helmet. This sealed it for me that it was my last time.

Why does home field advantage play such a large role in Skeleton, but not as much in Bobsled or Luge?
Luge I can't speak to. But Bob/skeleton I can.
You see a lot less in skeleton. Feeling pressures and knowing where you are in the track are critical. There are far fewer visual cues. Hence the repetition of runs down a track is invaluable.

Offline noturbizniss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Hella talented family clearly.

https://youtu.be/kv2Xgvaztk8
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile

Offline stbaum

• View Profile
Omg that’s hysterical! Loved it
My greatest achievement? I am fluent in FRIENDS quotes

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Hella talented family clearly.

https://youtu.be/kv2Xgvaztk8
Feel like we could run a pesach program.  :P