Author Topic: Jimmy Carter announces he has cancer  (Read 31096 times)

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmy Carter announces he has cancer
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2015, 09:09:20 AM »
Why would any non-Jew develop an opinion of an entire nation based on the comment of one individual?
Especially when the individual is not even Israeli.

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2015, 09:25:04 AM »
I do know that Chabadsters, like all chasidim, tend to mold the Rebbe into the person they want him to be, rather than the person he always was.

Please elaborate. Are you referring to the extremist group within Chabad, or Chabad in general?

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2015, 09:35:26 AM »
@CM: your comments suggesting that harsh criticism of American presidents and calling them "evil" and the like are un-American are so laughable I won't even address them.
You want to criticize a president that is fair game. Your attacks are pure hatred. Funny you bring up un-American since I never said that. Someone feeling a little guilty? Maybe I should refer to your duck comment?  :P
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2015, 09:36:25 AM »
Why would any non-Jew develop an opinion of an entire nation based on the comment of one individual?
Hopefully they don't.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2015, 09:43:21 AM »
You want to criticize a president that is fair game. Your attacks are pure hatred. Funny you bring up un-American since I never said that. Someone feeling a little guilty? Maybe I should refer to your duck comment?  :P

To play devils advocate.
If he believes Carter has been a leading advocate of hatred against Jews for many, many years, that wouldn't justify his hatred of Carter?

Are you saying that pure hatred is never allowed?
Visibly Jewish

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2015, 09:56:09 AM »
To play devils advocate.
If he believes Carter has been a leading advocate of hatred against Jews for many, many years, that wouldn't justify his hatred of Carter?

Are you saying that pure hatred is never allowed?
It is hard to tell what his hatred is based on since he is so far out there. Criticizing a president and hating him are two different things. There are many things you can criticize Carter for and not ever bring hate into it. I would even agree he was probably one of the worst presidents.  :)

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2015, 10:09:16 AM »
There are satmar and NK rebbes and chassidim who have said a lot worse things about Israel than carter. Do you wish them ill as well?

Satmar Rebbe (I am far far from a fan of his) himself once said that non-Jews who are anti-Israel are anti-Semites. Don't confuse Jewish theological opposition to anti-Semitism.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2015, 10:12:11 AM »
Satmar Rebbe (I am far far from a fan of his) himself once said that non-Jews who are anti-Israel are anti-Semites. Don't confuse Jewish theological opposition to anti-Semitism.
Would not being in favor of aid to Israel be anti-Israel?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2015, 10:12:38 AM »
I don't get it. Satmar can criticize the Israeli government's actions as causing harm to the jewish people but non-jews can't?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2015, 10:18:15 AM »
It is hard to tell what his hatred is based on since he is so far out there. Criticizing a president and hating him are two different things. There are many things you can criticize Carter for and not ever bring hate into it. I would even agree he was probably one of the worst presidents.  :)

I don't know enough about Carter to wish him suffering.
But many of us here don't like Obama but he is usually criticized and not hated in a "I wish he dies" kind of way.

Carter is a special breed, and he is probably one of the most prominent anti-israel advocates, and anti-israel advocates are usually a small step away from anti-semitism.
I don't think being the President automatically makes you immune to to the natural response of lifelong hatred and actions against Israel.
Visibly Jewish

Offline cf

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2015, 10:21:11 AM »
I don't believe he ever said that....  Satmar tries to make aware people that Jews and Isreal is not one thing....

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2015, 10:25:20 AM »
I don't get it. Satmar can criticize the Israeli government's actions as causing harm to the jewish people but non-jews can't?

I don't get what you are trying to say..

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2015, 10:36:02 AM »

Offline Centro

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2015, 10:46:04 AM »
A non Jew has no issue with Jewish law therfore if he's anti Isreal he's antisemitic unlike a Jew...

Offline JoeyShmoe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2015, 10:59:07 AM »
I absolutely DO NOT want to get into the whole Jimmy Carter discussion, but I do want you explain this difference.

The Satmar Rebbe (talking about the original one, the Divrei Yoel) never criticized the Israeli government, he criticized the fact that there actually is an Israeli government, and was against the idea of Jews forming a government (especially in Israel) while still in Galus. When he did criticize it was mainly those that were trying to take the Judaism out of Israel (the whole Yemeni kids situation). Those that scream against the Israeli government nowadays, or worse, rally against the Israeli government together with Israel's enemies do not IMHO follow in the footsteps of the D"Y.
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline Shmuli11

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2015, 11:19:56 AM »
I do think that equating anti-Israel to anti antisemitism is wrong. More often than not, people are just plainly ignorant, not anti-semitic.

Saying a sitting president is an anti semite because of his Israeli policies is also wrong. Obama isn't looking to hurt Israel even if his rhetoric may make it seem that way to some. Making foreign policies is part of the job description! In fact, Israel has made less concessions in this administration other recent administrations (including the last Bush administration). It's not always the best to be buddy buddies with the U.S. Administration.

"You shall pray for the welfare of the government" (Pirkei Avos).

I don't think Satmar is pro giving back land (although you might hear that from fringe elements). They do however believe that it's our G-d given task not to take the land. We are against giving land and saving Jewish lives. They only care about the Jewish lives which is by default means that you can't give back land.

Jimmy Carter, as one of the most knowledgeable people in the world on foreign affairs has made it his post-presidency mission to side with the Palestinians. That is where I draw the line.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2015, 11:21:53 AM »
I absolutely DO NOT want to get into the whole Jimmy Carter discussion, but I do want you explain this difference.

The Satmar Rebbe (talking about the original one, the Divrei Yoel) never criticized the Israeli government, he criticized the fact that there actually is an Israeli government, and was against the idea of Jews forming a government (especially in Israel) while still in Galus. When he did criticize it was mainly those that were trying to take the Judaism out of Israel (the whole Yemeni kids situation). Those that scream against the Israeli government nowadays, or worse, rally against the Israeli government together with Israel's enemies do not IMHO follow in the footsteps of the D"Y.
Have the current Satmer Rebbes not screamed against the Israel govt?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline JoeyShmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2015, 11:26:02 AM »
Have the current Satmer Rebbes not screamed against the Israel govt?
I think the current Rebbes may have taken it a step further than their great uncle, so I can't vouch for that. I can't recall them ever screaming against the government in general (not on a specific law) though CMIIW.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 11:58:55 AM by JoeyShmoe »
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline Ches

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2015, 11:34:28 AM »
Btw as Of what I heard the Satmar rebbes are crying for every Jew that gets killed, even for IDF Soldiers.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2015, 11:55:51 AM »
I don't know enough about Carter to wish him suffering.
But many of us here don't like Obama but he is usually criticized and not hated in a "I wish he dies" kind of way.

Tell that to the guy in my Shul who got up the Shabbos after Obama's election and announced that he wants to fulfill the Mitzvah of praying for your government, he then proceeded to read Psalms 109 out loud... ;D