Author Topic: Jimmy Carter announces he has cancer  (Read 31613 times)

Offline Matovu

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond,
Re: Jimmy Carter announces he has cancer
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 12:33:35 AM »
Jew hater or critic of Israeli government policies?  It's important to acknowledge that they're different and to not throw around the anti-semitism charge willy nilly.
+100000
Big difference
Carter doesn't hate JEWS, stop with the nonsense.

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2015, 12:37:28 AM »
One could compare him in a way to mechiyas amalek. We certainly don't feel sympathy.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2015, 12:42:03 AM »
You're speechless? Were you sympathetic when Arafat was sick as well? This man is a rabid Jew hater and has dedicated his retired life to undermining, besmirching, and delegitimizing us. Explain yourself-why in the world should a Jew feel one ounce of sympathy for this man? Sympathy and understanding are important but likewise it's important to know their limits.
I'll be dan l'kaf zechus that you simply haven't read his books or followed his actions closely enough and that's why you feel sympathetic to such a sonei yisrael who has done and continues to do so much harm to us.
How about you explain yourself. Why would any non-Jew care about Israel with comments like yours?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline doodle

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2015, 01:17:36 AM »
There are satmar and NK rebbes and chassidim who have said a lot worse things about Israel than carter. Do you wish them ill as well?
NK does not have Rebbes.!.
 Never curse out whole groups of Jews. Especially when its obvious you know very little about them.
Salt Is Good

Offline avremie

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2015, 01:34:57 AM »
The man has written several books on the Palestinian cause so I find him indirectly responsible for Jewish blood.
וואס פריער איז בעסער.

Offline yakrot

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2015, 02:44:15 AM »
How about you explain yourself. Why would any non-Jew care about Israel with comments like yours?
I think most non-jews care about Israel because it is the only stable democratic forward thinking country in the region and therefore an important ally to all democracies.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2015, 03:00:05 AM »
I think most non-jews care about Israel because it is the only stable democratic forward thinking country in the region and therefore an important ally to all democracies.
I agree but when you see comments like Aj's it makes you think twice about that.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2015, 03:10:07 AM »
Wow. I'm no friend of Carter's but I'm speechless...
Why? The hatred for US Presidents on this forum seems to be SOP.

Offline yakrot

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2015, 03:12:22 AM »
I agree but when you see comments like Aj's it makes you think twice about that.
I don't think aj's comments make the country any less stable .

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2015, 06:54:14 AM »
i think this thread went too light on a jew hater of his rank.
I suppose this Gemarah went too light as well:

"אמר רבי יוחנן  מאי דכתיב  ולא קרב זה אל זה כל הלילה (שמות י"ד, 20), בקשו מלאכי השרת לומר שירה, אמר הקב"ה מעשה ידי טובעים בים ואתם אומרים שירה" (תלמוד בבלי, מסכת מגילה י ע"ב. )

I guess the Gemarah just isn't "old school" enough.

I know you have reading comprehension issues so I'll spell it out a little clearer this time.

Jimmy Carter has done quite a lot of damage in his life, he has not endeared himself to the Jewish nation (me included). There is still a big difference between not feeling sympathy for him and rejoicing in a human being's suffering.  The former is understandable while the latter comes across as highly immature.

Anyone who knows anything about the Lubavitcher Rebbe's position on Eretz Yisroel knows that there is no one who knew the danger in Carter's policies and opinions than the Rebbe, yet that didn't stop the Rebbe from publicly thanking Carter more than once for the good things he did do (yes there were some of those as well).

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2015, 07:00:26 AM »
This person that some are calling a Jew hater is this the same person that brokered the peace deal between Israel and Egypt?

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2015, 07:42:01 AM »
This person that some are calling a Jew hater is this the same person that brokered the peace deal between Israel and Egypt?
Not true at all. It was done directly between the two parties. He was called in for the photo op and signing at the end.
This quibble has no bearing on my opinion on the rest of this thread.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2015, 07:47:53 AM »
Not true at all. It was done directly between the two parties. He was called in for the photo op and signing at the end.
Comments from some of Israel's leaders contradict what you are saying. To put it bluntly "What are you smoking?"  :)

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2015, 07:51:11 AM »
Comments from some of Israel's leaders contradict what you are saying. To put it bluntly "What are you smoking?"  :)
I just finished reading about this in Yehuda avner's book "the prime ministers." It has been returned to the library, so I can't quote chapter and verse, but if you truly want me to back this up, I can do it after shabbos.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2015, 07:54:29 AM »
I just finished reading about this in Yehuda avner's book "the prime ministers." It has been returned to the library, so I can't quote chapter and verse, but if you truly want me to back this up, I can do it after shabbos.
Without Carter this does not happen. You want to try and rewrite history go right ahead.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2015, 07:58:18 AM »
Without Carter this does not happen. You want to try and rewrite history go right ahead.
Exactly my point. Without Carter it most certainly does happen. Without *any* us president, it doesn't happen.

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2015, 08:26:23 AM »
I suppose this Gemarah went too light as well:

"אמר רבי יוחנן  מאי דכתיב  ולא קרב זה אל זה כל הלילה (שמות י"ד, 20), בקשו מלאכי השרת לומר שירה, אמר הקב"ה מעשה ידי טובעים בים ואתם אומרים שירה" (תלמוד בבלי, מסכת מגילה י ע"ב. )

I guess the Gemarah just isn't "old school" enough.

I know you have reading comprehension issues so I'll spell it out a little clearer this time.

Jimmy Carter has done quite a lot of damage in his life, he has not endeared himself to the Jewish nation (me included). There is still a big difference between not feeling sympathy for him and rejoicing in a human being's suffering.  The former is understandable while the latter comes across as highly immature.

Anyone who knows anything about the Lubavitcher Rebbe's position on Eretz Yisroel knows that there is no one who knew the danger in Carter's policies and opinions than the Rebbe, yet that didn't stop the Rebbe from publicly thanking Carter more than once for the good things he did do (yes there were some of those as well).
Your distortion of the Gemara's words is quite shocking. I guess that what happens when you only learn half a of a whole piece of Gemara.

That piece you quoted is part of larger Gemara quoted in Sanhedrin 39B. There the Gemara EXPLICITLY states that while God himself doesn't rejoice, he makes others (meaning the Jews) rejoice. That's why Moshe Rabeinu and Klal Yisrael rejoiced at Krias Yam Suf and said shira (weren't thinking of that were you?). Even more, the Gemara states that when Achav, a wicked Jewish king, was killed in battle, the Jews REJOICED at his death. It uses that exact word, and quotes a passuk, "with the death of wicked people there is happiness/song/rejoicing". So you see there, your proof is turned on its head by the whole piece in which rejoicing (which you refer to as "immature") is condoned when it comes at the death of wicked people, even wicked Jews.

As for the rebbe, I won't debate on that. I specifically preempted such a challenge by showing how R' Avigdor Miller would act towards Carter, and he's no less qualified than the Rebbe to have an opinion on the matter. I do know that Chabadsters, like all chasidim, tend to mold the Rebbe into the person they want him to be, rather than the person he always was. I don't know if God behavior towards that rasha Carter were as you say it as you want. Either way, the Rebbe isn't the beginning and end to all. Other people have conducted themselves on other ways in regards to American presidents who were Reshaim (all of the recent ones are which eclipsed by Carter).

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2015, 08:32:50 AM »
@CM: your comments suggesting that harsh criticism of American presidents and calling them "evil" and the like are un-American are so laughable I won't even address them. I can only advise you to turn on the news a bit more and see the way people on both sides on the aisle refer to their political opponents as "Satan", "evil", and much worse. Furthermore, I'd say that given the peril we are facing and the diametrically opposed ideologies tearing this country apart that such language is far from being off the mark.

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2015, 08:36:29 AM »
shem reshaim yirkov

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2015, 09:01:34 AM »

Why would any non-Jew develop an opinion of an entire nation based on the comment of one individual?