Author Topic: zow's 2015 Europe and Israel TR (my first TR!)  (Read 16870 times)

Offline davidmal

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
Re: zow's 2015 Europe and Israel TR (my first TR!)
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2017, 04:51:08 PM »
I'm considering booking this route on this airline with kids, how's their bag fees & actual flight experience
way to bump a old TR....
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2017, 04:58:02 PM »
way to bump a old TR....
  needs finishing

Offline zow

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2017, 02:02:21 PM »
Oh, boy, can't believe I never finished this TR.
Can't do it right now, but I'll try to answer the AMS-TLV question, and hope it's not too late to be useful.

Paid cash for this route:
Fare: 198E pp.
Seat res: 4E pp.
20kg hold lug: 20E pp.
Booking fee: 5E.
Credit card fee: 5E.

Total was 225 Euro per person.

They treated us nicely, but the experience was confounded by my tending to an older woman who fainted in the boarding area. She hadn't slept much, had been up early, hadn't eaten, was worried about the travel in general...B'H she was fine, with some water and something to eat.  If I recall correctly, the airline crew offered me some snacks or something -- I don't think anything had a hechsher, but not remembering now. The plane was clean and brightly colorful, as I recall, Scandinavian feeling. 

Hope this is helpful.

Offline zow

• View Profile
zow's 2015 Europe and Israel TR (my first TR!)
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2017, 02:41:48 PM »
Part 4: The Waldorf-Astoria Jerusalem.

We arrived into TLV on a Thursday around noon.  Spent some time in the baggage claim area trying to find someone who could help me to track down my checked luggage, which had been MIA since I checked it with Aer Lingus in Boston. Of course there is no Aer Lingus office or staff in Ben-Gurion, but they have a partnership with KLM. Long and short of it, couldn’t get anyone to provide any substantive help in person, but eventually the bag showed up erev Shabbat, delivered to the WA.

In any case, we rented a car at TLV, drove to the Waldorf, where at the time parking was free. We used a Be My Guest Certificate for a free night. We were booked into what must have been slightly above a standard room, as we had a nice mirpeset with a view overlooking Mamilla Cemetery and Independence Park.  The room was beautiful, a nice balance of modern with classic. IIRC, they had iPads through which you could read the news or even notify the front desk of any concerns or requests.  I recall that the toilet would run on, so I tried to contact the staff through their internal app, but it didn’t work.  Not a big deal.

View from our mirpeset, Nespresso from the room and pastries from the Shuk.

Morning view from our mirpeset

The fitness center at the Waldorf was sufficient but nothing spectacular. The pool was especially refreshing.  ??? The highlight of the Waldorf was the breakfast/brunch, which was included for my wife and me, and on check-in, we were told that we would need to pay for our son.  But as it turned out, they didn’t charge us for him.  Dan and others have described and photographed the brunch spread, so I won’t go into any detail. I’ll just say that “brunch at the Waldorf Jerusalem” has entered our vocabulary as the standard by which all brunches, and maybe all meals, are compared.

We only had one night at the WA. We had dinner out at Gabriel, which we enjoyed immensely. It was a little pricey, but really interesting and great tasting food. See photos.

We spent Shabbat with our friends in Rehovot. Really wonderful friends who are almost like mishpacha. They have a way of making us feel totally comfortable and “at home”, but also like honored guests.  They’re a little older than we are – in their late 60s – but they have no shortage of energy. For example, motsei Shabbat they planned an outing to Jerusalem.  This was Shabbat Nachamu, the first week of August, so Shabbat didn’t end until around 9PM. That didn’t stop them. We made Havdalah, jumped in the car, and got to Jerusalem for a 10PM concert. I hope we have their energy when we’re their age!

The next morning, we were headed for the final “chunk” of our vacation, TLV-LHR.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 02:50:40 PM by zow »

Offline hachover

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2017, 02:45:28 PM »
They treated us nicely, but the experience was confounded by my tending to an older woman who fainted in the boarding area. She hadn't slept much, had been up early, hadn't eaten, was worried about the travel in general...B'H she was fine, with some water and something to eat.  If I recall correctly, the airline crew offered me some snacks or something

I was once on Spirit, and someone fainted. The FA asked if she needed a doctor and she said yes. They whipped out the credit card machine and asked for a $25 PA fee. Then, they asked if any doctors were flying with us today. Of course, none were. Had they asked whether there were any Uber drivers on board, or any motivational speakers, I'm sure the $25 would have been worth it...
I'm an optimist; but only because life isn't going to give me any other good choices.

Offline zow

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2017, 02:56:08 PM »
I was once on Spirit, and someone fainted. The FA asked if she needed a doctor and she said yes. They whipped out the credit card machine and asked for a $25 PA fee. Then, they asked if any doctors were flying with us today. Of course, none were. Had they asked whether there were any Uber drivers on board, or any motivational speakers, I'm sure the $25 would have been worth it...
:)

Offline davidmal

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2017, 10:36:05 AM »

lol
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"