Author Topic: StarKist Tuna Class Action Lawsuit  (Read 6647 times)

Offline Aj3042

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
Re: StarKist Tuna Class Action Lawsuit
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 12:17:10 AM »
I'm facepalmING your bs about anonymous "chashuva"  rabonim who KNOW there is dolphin, ye the OU covers it up.
THERMITE PAINT!!!
If you'd actually be interested in knowing what's behind this halachik debate (instead of just spewing ignorance) I'd actually go through it with you.
In fact, about 20 years ago there was a big machlokes if OU tuna is kosher, because of the presence of dolphins caught in the tuna nets. Note that the OU agreed to the premise but decided to follow the opinion of some poskim that they were batul b'rov. It's a very technical and unclear issue, and some say that R' Moshe held it's assur. I imagine you were unaware of any of the above. This is a technical reply to your assertion that there's no way there's any dolphin in the tuna. Read: you're dead wrong.

In addition, your comments suggesting that "this could never be" display your naivete of the world in general and the hashgacha business in particular. Contrary to the rosy picture of Judaism you learned in 2nd grade, a hashgacha business is a business, not a chesed organization. The notion that the OU, a worldwide political and financial behemoth, has no other considerations but pure kashrus in all of its decisions is, to put it mildly, quite stupid and frightfully naive. You have clearly never interacted with any high level individual belonging to a big kashrus organization in matters related to his business. Lots of tings get swept under the rug, decisions are made based on political and financial considerations, corners are cut, and much more. I know this because I myself and family members of mine have worked with and interacted with various high level people in the business who have made this quite clear numerous times to them and other intelligent people.

Either way I'm not interested in turning this into a PC thread but your glaringly ignorant and stupid comments warranted a response so you got one. Now you can crawl back into bed and dream of all those hundreds of people making millions of dollars in hashgachos and how they're all looking out for you and not their bottom line-how comforting. I hope I didn't burst your bubble.

ETA: obviously here are many well meaning and upstanding people in the business as well. These comments are by no means a reflection on any one erson but on the business (wow it's actually a business) as a whole.

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2015, 12:24:06 AM »
If you'd actually be interested in knowing what's behind this halachik debate (instead of just spewing ignorance) I'd actually go through it with you.
In fact, about 20 years ago there was a big machlokes if OU tuna is kosher, because of the presence of dolphins caught in the tuna nets. Note that the OU agreed to the premise but decided to follow the opinion of some poskim that they were batul b'rov. It's a very technical and unclear issue, and some say that R' Moshe held it's assur. I imagine you were unaware of any of the above. This is a technical reply to your assertion that there's no way there's any dolphin in the tuna. Read: you're dead wrong.

In addition, your comments suggesting that "this could never be" display your naivete of the world in general and the hashgacha business in particular. Contrary to the rosy picture of Judaism you learned in 2nd grade, a hashgacha business is a business, not a chesed organization. The notion that the OU, a worldwide political and financial behemoth, has no other considerations but pure kashrus in all of its decisions is, to put it mildly, quite stupid and frightfully naive. You have clearly never interacted with any high level individual belonging to a big kashrus organization in matters related to his business. Lots of tings get swept under the rug, decisions are made based on political and financial considerations, corners are cut, and much more. I know this because I myself and family members of mine have worked with and interacted with various high level people in the business who have made this quite clear numerous times to them and other intelligent people.

Either way I'm not interested in turning this into a PC thread but your glaringly ignorant and stupid comments warranted a response so you got one. Now you can crawl back into bed and dream of all those hundreds of people making millions of dollars in hashgachos and how they're all looking out for you and not their bottom line-how comforting. I hope I didn't burst your bubble.

ETA: obviously here are many well meaning and upstanding people in the business as well. These comments are by no means a reflection on any one erson but on the business (wow it's actually a business) as a whole.
Give me a tub sources and names,  otherwise I will revert to occams razor instead of thermite paint.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline Aj3042

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2015, 12:34:36 AM »
No use I'm not here to convince anyone about this nor to determine the halacha. Look and you shall find.
And pardon my expressions, no offense was intended. I just got to call a spade a spade.

Offline tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2015, 12:47:35 AM »
No use I'm not here to convince anyone about this nor to determine the halacha. Look and you shall find.
And pardon my expressions, no offense was intended. I just got to call a spade a spade.
And in the process say loshon harah on many many rabonim and gedolim, or more likely motzei Shem rah. For ever unscrupulous individual working at kashrut agencies world wide (and yes they are out there) there are great people (not to mention rabonim) that are mosser nefesh for what's right. I personally know people that have put their whole livelihood on the line more than once. With regards to the dolphin in tuna issue it's not nearly as clear cut as you make it. I have actually discussed the back and forth of it with a leading posek, not looking to get into it now though.

Offline doodle

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2015, 12:56:08 AM »

WELL SAID!! 
you neglected to mention to them that many Poskim  require Mashgiach Temedi on fish to see the scales.
 Rav Moshe and Rav Henkin are Machmir,
( a detailed explanation is way over their paygrade here, so ask your Rov to explain it to you )
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 12:59:32 AM by doodle »
Salt Is Good

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2015, 06:42:50 AM »
Are you serious? I happen to know some choshuve people that hold that OU tuna (like Starkist) has kashrus issues and that there's a significant amount of dolphin that gets packaged as tuna. Most people aren't aware of this issue though so I'm not sure if you're referring to that or if you're just joking.
you know chashuve people that know that a significant amount of dolphin is packaged with tuna? I don't think so. Either you are misinformed, or they are misinformed. You should learn the real issue of bycatch and bedikas siminei dag tahor before making wild accusations on dans deals. I spoke to yidel shain ain't gonna cut here.
Which expert have you spoken with has confirmed that there is significant dolphin bycatch processed with tuna? 
The issue has more to do with a halachic requirement of bedikas simanim, hence the requirement for a mashgiach temidi. Now, i can tell you from experience that even those that require a mashgiach temidi don't actually check every fish in all cases. For instance, when they do a fish gelatin production the fish skins come in large barrels containing10000's skins and the mashgiach isn't required to check each skin by any hashgacha, ditto to sardine production. So double check with your rav hamachshir what they're someich on in these specific cases.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 06:51:32 AM by moko »

Offline Live N Learn

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2015, 07:35:06 AM »
i always count the splenda packets. it's almost never 100 packets exactly. where do i file a lawsuit? ::)
Here.
".איזהו חכם, הלומד מכל אדם"

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2015, 11:38:43 AM »

This is wrong on so many facts i don't even know where to start.

WELL SAID!! 
you neglected to mention to them that many Poskim  require Mashgiach Temedi on fish to see the scales.
 Rav Moshe and Rav Henkin are Machmir,
( a detailed explanation is way over their paygrade here, so ask your Rov to explain it to you )
Which has ZERO to do with other fish being mixed with the tuna. On that issue it is well known that the OU does not require it based upon a psak given them many years ago by R' Soloveitchik. THis is a clear cut question and their attitude about it is that if you wish to be machmir like R' Moshe, which btw R Belsky advises people to do, just don't buy it the same way many don't buy OUD.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline doodle

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2015, 02:33:26 PM »
Which has ZERO to do with other fish being mixed with the tuna. On that issue it is well known that the OU does not require it based upon a psak given them many years ago by R' Soloveitchik. THis is a clear cut question and their attitude about it is that if you wish to be machmir like R' Moshe, which btw R Belsky advises people to do, just don't buy it the same way many don't buy OUD.
you are right
Salt Is Good