Topic Wiki

For starters:
Part 1, Part 2, Part 3

Link to "Trick-it" thread on FT, Good Luck!

Booking: "Airline's own site is usually best. It just simply won't work there most of the time, hence the need for OTAs. And some of the smaller OTAs have employees doing manual checks of their tickets, so gotta be cautious there, too." (Moishebatchy)

See, this is precisely why booking FD's is NOT for the unwashed masses!!!

Here, let me make this nice and clear for you: when booking a FD, you CANNOT call the airline for ANY reason. You cannot call to add an infant, you cannot call to order kosher meals, you cannot call to request seats, you cannot even call to check if your flight is running on time!!!! No human eye (belonging to an airline employee) can ever see your ticket, period. If it cannot be done online, then you cannot do it at all. The risk is too great. Capische?

Oh, and as far as changes/cancellations are concerned... YOU CANNOT CANCEL A FUEL DUMP TICKET. EVER. Even if it's cancel-able online, because online cancellations are often manually reviewed by human auditors. You spent $450 on a cheap ticket to Israel and now your work schedule changed? That's too bad, you're gonna have to eat the $450 loss and let your ticket go into the garbage. If you try to cancel, your greed in saving $450 can trigger the cancellation of tens of thousands of dollars of other people's fuel-dumped tickets. Think I'm exaggerating? I've seen it happen with my own eyes.

NOW do you people understand what I mean by the "dark side of FD"?!

And NOW do you see why we don't like when the newbie, "gimme a cheap ticket to Israel!!!!" crowd gets a hold of these?! Let me tell you, when someone from that crowd gets a hold of these fares and books his family of 10 people for $4,500 total, and then they have to cancel the trip for some reason, I GUARANTEE you he will not resist the temptation to cancel and get his $4,500 back. He WILL cancel to get his money back, and he WILL get the dump killed for many other people. And THAT is a big part of why veterans don't like it when newbies get their hands on this stuff.

« Last edited by shoobi on August 31, 2015, 10:16:13 PM »

Author Topic: Trick-It Master Thread  (Read 184352 times)

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
Re: Reduce USA -> TLV flights by $415
« Reply #220 on: August 26, 2015, 01:14:56 PM »
So I guess since we are on the topic....When booking FD with a provider who does not calculate lap child fares and request me to call the airline direct after booking to price it out. Would calling airline to do this put the deal at risk? and if so, where can this be booked to include a lap child.

Here, let me make this nice and clear for you: when booking a FD, you CANNOT call the airline for ANY reason. You cannot call to add an infant, you cannot call to order kosher meals, you cannot call to request seats, you cannot even call to check if your flight is running on time!!!! No human eye (belonging to an airline employee) can ever see your ticket, period. If it cannot be done online, then you cannot do it at all. The risk is too great. Capische?

Oh, and as far as changes/cancellations are concerned... YOU CANNOT CANCEL A FUEL DUMP TICKET. EVER. Even if it's cancel-able online, because online cancellations are often manually reviewed by human auditors. You spent $450 on a cheap ticket to Israel and now your work schedule changed? That's too bad, you're gonna have to eat the $450 loss and let your ticket go into the garbage. If you try to cancel, your greed in saving $450 can trigger the cancellation of tens of thousands of dollars of other people's fuel-dumped tickets. Think I'm exaggerating? I've seen it happen with my own eyes.

And NOW do you see why we don't like when the newbie, "gimme a cheap ticket to Israel!!!!" crowd gets a hold of these?! Let me tell you, when someone from that crowd gets a hold of these fares and books his family of 10 people for $4,500 total, and then they have to cancel the trip for some reason, I GUARANTEE you he will not resist the temptation to cancel and get his $4,500 back. He WILL cancel to get his money back, and he WILL get the dump killed for many other people. And THAT is a big part of why veterans don't like it when newbies get their hands on this stuff.

/rant

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #221 on: August 26, 2015, 01:15:50 PM »
OK so give the OP a HT and delete the thread, I think it's a win win situation
what exactly is a HT with now that the HT DOs are no longer happening?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline SearchGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 26, 2015, 01:19:05 PM »
I hope Dan could see how many people are crying when seeing this thread, and those people are his veteran members!!! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #223 on: August 26, 2015, 01:23:24 PM »
Yet you still added a direct link to this thread on 6628 posts on DDF

talk about some sense..
Yes I totally don't get that. Can someone please explain that logically? If you don't want it publicized why incorporate it into your signature?

It's quite simple: risk vs. reward.

Let's face it: a thread with a provocative title like "Reduce USA -> TLV flights by $415" that keeps getting bumped up to the top of the Up In The Air section every 2 minutes is gonna get noticed anyway. It doesn't get too much more "publicized" than that. At that point, linking to it from my signature is only a small risk for additional exposure, with the possible reward that if it raises enough awareness for enough people to protest and make themselves heard, the thread would get deleted.

I have since removed my signature, however, because it is now clear that this thread isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I may as well use this thread as an opportunity to educate the public about the dark side of FD, so that the people who already have seen it and figured it out don't go all ape-crazy on the poor FD.

Offline ycohen

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 26, 2015, 01:24:12 PM »

/rant

FYI - completely unwarranted.

Agreed and hence why I was wondering if there were any other way to book infants without calling in. I have no intention to risk ruining it for other just for a couple $$.

Geez I think "Mr. 180" needs a vaca. Lets just hope after all of your ranting and drawing further attention to this post you can still find a flight somewhere;p

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: August 26, 2015, 01:25:25 PM »
This has to be one of the best threads ever.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 26, 2015, 01:27:32 PM »
Actually, I did learn it on my own. I spent many hours reading the thread on FT, meeting other FDers and getting little bits and pieces of info, etc. until I finally started getting somewhere on my own. Only after I proved my worth - coming up with decent dumps on my own - did one of the "veterans" offer to speak to me on the phone and teach me some of the deeper stuff. He was the one who originally opened my eyes to the "dark side" of fuel dumping, which was a very sobering lesson for me.
Everyone say this 100 times then write it 100 times. Here is your golden goose and it is not just for FD's.

Offline lunatic

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 26, 2015, 01:27:57 PM »
And it's not even Friday

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 26, 2015, 01:28:00 PM »
Couldn't hold back any longer from this thread, could you?

Offline Aj3042

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #229 on: August 26, 2015, 01:28:51 PM »

/rant
I hear-you definitely have good points and what your'e saying makes sense. You seem to know how to advance a case instead of just yelling.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #230 on: August 26, 2015, 01:30:20 PM »
I hope Dan could see how many people are crying when seeing this thread, and those people are his veteran members!!! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
There are always more noobs than vets with a growing website. And the vets were once noobs.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
Re: Reduce USA -&gt; TLV flights by $415
« Reply #231 on: August 26, 2015, 01:31:05 PM »

And the vets were once noobs.
And sometimes still are

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 26, 2015, 01:32:17 PM »
Someone just brought it to my attention.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #233 on: August 26, 2015, 01:33:39 PM »
Someone just brought it to my attention.
Please tell  me you saw it in certain members signatures? :)
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline miller123

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 26, 2015, 01:35:43 PM »
sukkos tickets are gone
chanukah is still available

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 26, 2015, 01:43:44 PM »
Please tell  me you saw it in certain members signatures? :)
No it was via PM but what members?

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 26, 2015, 01:44:30 PM »
FYI - completely unwarranted.

Geez I think "Mr. 180" needs a vaca. Lets just hope after all of your ranting and drawing further attention to this post you can still find a flight somewhere;p

Very warranted, actually. You were one phone call away from killing this for everyone.

And get your facts straight, newbie - I'm not "Mr. 180". You have me confused with someone else. Kindly pay attention to the discussion, hmmm?

I hear-you definitely have good points and what your'e saying makes sense. You seem to know how to advance a case instead of just yelling.

Thank you. I just wish people like ycohen had as much sense as you... :)

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 26, 2015, 01:45:46 PM »
Everyone say this 100 times then write it 100 times. Here is your golden goose and it is not just for FD's.

I once learned such a lesson from a very wise man I met at Milt's... ;)

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 26, 2015, 01:53:35 PM »
I once learned such a lesson from a very wise man I met at Milt's... ;)
We all love JJ.

Offline mgarfin

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 26, 2015, 02:00:12 PM »

If mesh couldn't do you think CM can!!

BTW AKJ has yet to leave his 2 cents....