Author Topic: Real Estate investment  (Read 80811 times)

Offline Shauly101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dirshu!
Re: Real Estate investment
« Reply #260 on: July 15, 2021, 09:01:05 AM »

Other option is becoming an LP (limited partner) on someone's deal.

how to you find these deals - and how to you scrutinize them

Offline whacked1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 15, 2021, 02:34:39 PM »
First and foremost is finding someone you trust. If you know ppl in real estate, let them know you are looking to invest and they should put you on their list. If you dont have anyone in a first relation, ask a friend who they invest with etc etc.

Always check how much money the gp is putting into the deal. You want them to have skin in the game and not just playing with your money. Try to see what they did on previous deals, what were their returns. If you are unable to analyze the deal yourself, there are people/companies that will can break it down for you. Shouldn't be too expensive (obviously depends how much you are investing...)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 02:39:32 PM by whacked1 »

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 15, 2021, 02:48:09 PM »
Do yourself a favor, have the operating agreements reviewed by a lawyer.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline Fish Tank

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 15, 2021, 05:57:03 PM »
Should ask a tax professional. But there might be limits of how much passive income losses you can use to offset regular income.

So that is what I thought but then someone told me you can only deduct a loss (depreciation) if you are considered a "real estate professional"

Typically these investments are very tax beneficial as even a good property, distributing funds will have a negative profit for tax purposes.

My understanding is that the difference between a RE Pro and not is whether it is called active or passive income.
I was recently listening to a podcast, and it was explained like this:

If you are not classified as a real estate professional, you can only deduct the depreciation/losses against passive income streams.

If you are classified as a real estate professional, you can deduct the losses against income earned from active income streams as well.

To be classified as a real estate professional the IRS requirements are:

• More than one-half of the personal services you performed in all trades or businesses during the tax year were performed in real property trades or businesses in which you materially participated.
  • You performed more than 750 hours of services during the tax year in real property trades or businesses in which you materially participated.

Offline Shmulie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 15, 2021, 07:04:02 PM »
If you are not classified as a real estate professional, you can only deduct the depreciation/losses against passive income streams.

are long term capital gains considered a passive income stream?

also CMIIW but I think if you don't have any passive income to deduct against the "losses" they carryover and you can use it over the next few years or until the property is sold

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #265 on: November 03, 2021, 08:54:21 AM »
I need help with some basic calculations as this area is really not my strong suit.

if a commercial property costs $2.1mm and brings and income of $162k annually.  is this decent?

how do I make the calculations?

Thanks

#TYH

Offline shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 03, 2021, 09:15:35 AM »
I need help with some basic calculations as this area is really not my strong suit.

if a commercial property costs $2.1mm and brings and income of $162k annually.  is this decent?

Thanks
$162k before or after expenses?

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 03, 2021, 09:16:19 AM »

Offline Mordyk

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 03, 2021, 09:17:00 AM »
$162k before or after expenses?
before expenses. trying to get expenses numbers.

Expenses are $40k.  but can increase rent with some minor upgrades
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 09:29:48 AM by Mordyk »
#TYH

Offline Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 03, 2021, 10:30:59 AM »

Thanks

before expenses. trying to get expenses numbers.

Expenses are $40k.  but can increase rent with some minor upgrades

Hate to be the one to say this but there's way too little info to assess an investment. With the two numbers you provided it looks like roughly a 5.8 cap, but that could be amazing or horrible depending on asset type, location, what kind of financing you can get, how much cash you'll need, potential upside, tenancy/vacancy risk, cost to fill vacancies, your plans (exit, refi/cash-out, etc), etc.

For example, a property in the middle of nowhere in a low-demand market with huge tenants that expire soon and will need lots of work to get new tenants in is obviously a massive risk as you might sit with vacancy for years, pay a ton of TI, LL work, commissions, etc to fill. On the other hand, a property with A+ covenant long-term tenancies or huge upside in a super-hot market will obviously trade at a much higher value. Your financing will also reflect all of these factors, which will have a huge impact on your returns.

In short, you need a proper pro forma to figure this out.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: November 03, 2021, 10:42:31 AM »
Hate to be the one to say this but there's way too little info to assess an investment. With the two numbers you provided it looks like roughly a 5.8 cap, but that could be amazing or horrible depending on asset type, location, what kind of financing you can get, how much cash you'll need, potential upside, tenancy/vacancy risk, cost to fill vacancies, your plans (exit, refi/cash-out, etc), etc.

For example, a property in the middle of nowhere in a low-demand market with huge tenants that expire soon and will need lots of work to get new tenants in is obviously a massive risk as you might sit with vacancy for years, pay a ton of TI, LL work, commissions, etc to fill. On the other hand, a property with A+ covenant long-term tenancies or huge upside in a super-hot market will obviously trade at a much higher value. Your financing will also reflect all of these factors, which will have a huge impact on your returns.

IOW, if you're investing this kind of money you better know what you're doing or you could potentially get into trouble.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Mordyk

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 03, 2021, 11:11:15 AM »

Thanks! i appreciate you taking the time to spell this out for me.

Offline Yosel

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 03, 2021, 12:13:43 PM »

Thanks

Please tell me that it is a 17 unit in Newark

Offline Mordyk

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 03, 2021, 01:02:05 PM »
Please tell me that it is a 17 unit in Newark
no. i semi % fluctuated the amounts for confidential purposes
#TYH

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 04, 2021, 12:13:02 AM »
IOW, if you're investing this kind of money you better know what you're doing or you could potentially get into trouble.
Or else have someone you trust that knows what he is doing thoroughly look over the deal

Offline michael

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 16, 2022, 09:54:25 PM »
I have 5000 square feet of second floor office space available in Brick NJ. Have been trying through brokers to lease the space for six months, with little interest. We have a sign outside the building advising of the availability. Asking price is low. Any other ideas?

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #276 on: February 16, 2022, 11:34:50 PM »
I have 5000 square feet of second floor office space available in Brick NJ. Have been trying through brokers to lease the space for six months, with little interest. We have a sign outside the building advising of the availability. Asking price is low. Any other ideas?
Price, exact location, condition?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline michael

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 16, 2022, 11:48:45 PM »
Price, exact location, condition?
$5k per month. 11 Princeton Avenue in Brick. Good condition, can send pictures. Second floor above a retail strip.

Offline whacked1

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 17, 2022, 07:49:59 AM »
I cant speak for Brick NJ, but office space in general is very weak now. Retail seems to have bounced back (somewhat). Office is swamped (especially with the absorption of weworks etc).

Some ideas you can try: first off make sure space is showing well (well lit, clean, etc), offer full commission for co-broker, offer GC to agent that transacts the deal (avoids him having to split with agency), host open house for brokers with art exhibit etc to create buzz....

Again, not sure about Brick, these are some in the general market that seem to work

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 17, 2022, 09:10:45 AM »

If the financials make sense, maybe you can offer $c toward remodeling it to lessee’s needs in exchange for x year lease.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)