Author Topic: There is extraterrestrial life - says the Rebbe  (Read 3545 times)

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
Re: There is extraterrestrial life - says the Rebbe
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2015, 04:53:57 PM »
+1

That basically sums up the Rebbe's Shitah on the matter, not sure why this is news...
-1/2

In this sicha the Rebbe says there are humanoids, (though not on the level of humans on earth,) not just living organisms.
Just looked at the Sicha inside, it's tricky, the word used is בני אדם, though that seems strange as בני אדם are  usually human.

It's an unedited Hanachah, it would be interesting to know what words the Rebbe actually used...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 05:48:16 PM by Achas Veachas »

Offline Freddie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2015, 04:56:28 PM »
Just looked at the Sicha inside, it's tricky, the word used is בני אדם, though that seems strange as בני אדם are surviving human.

It's an unedited Hanachah, it would be interesting to know what words the Rebbe actually used...
It's from Lahak. They're usually pretty reliable, no?

Oh, and I did a little FTFY.

Online dovy2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2015, 05:08:07 PM »
Just looked at the Sicha inside, it's tricky, the word used is בני אדם, though that seems strange as בני אדם are surviving human.

It's an unedited Halachah, it would be interesting to know what words the Rebbe actually used...
Where do you see that? Look at the last paragraph, there's a clear differentiation where  בני אדם which are on this world and  ברואים on another planet

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2015, 05:51:20 PM »
It's from Lahak. They're usually pretty reliable, no?

Oh, and I did a little FTFY.
As reliable as they are, I wouldn't make a Diyuk on a single word in a Hanachah Bilti Mugah.

Where do you see that? Look at the last paragraph, there's a clear differentiation where  בני אדם which are on this world and  ברואים on another planet
Look in the end of the bracket it says בני אדם. I assumed that's what whYME meant when he said that they are humanoid as ברואים can mean anything.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2015, 06:06:09 PM »
I assumed that's what whYME meant when he said that they are humanoid as ברואים can mean anything.
Probably.
It's been a couple of years since I've really looked at it...

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2015, 08:33:54 PM »
I guess once where on the subject there's the famous meeting between the Rebbe and Professor Velvel Green, a microbiologist working for NASA:
Back then—this was the early 1970s—when word got around that I was working with NASA and looking for life on Mars, some religious Jews would rebuke me. They said, “You mustn’t do that. You mustn’t work in the space biology program or the exobiology program, because it goes contrary to Torah. You shouldn’t be doing this kind of work.” Since at this point I had already begun my journey to Jewish practice, their words caused me concern—was I doing something wrong? I didn’t know what to make of these statements. Rabbi Feller suggested that the next time I would meet with the Rebbe, I should ask the Rebbe if that was in fact true.

The Rebbe didn’t respond right away. He thought for a while, and then he said this:

“You should look for life on Mars, and you should keep looking for life on Mars. If you don’t find it, then keep looking elsewhere, and do not stop looking, because to sit here in this world and say there is no life elsewhere is to put a limit around what G‑d can do. And nobody can do that!”
Link

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2015, 08:46:30 AM »
I recently read the Rebbe told someone they will be disappointed with what they find on the moon (~half a year before the 1969 landing).
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2015, 08:50:59 AM »
I recently read the Rebbe told someone they will be disappointed with what they find on the moon (~half a year before the 1969 landing).
Link?

Amazing that we haven't been back in 40+ years.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2015, 09:09:55 AM »
I remember something of the sort though not quite the way you put it.

ETA: is this what you meant?
http://chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/947466/jewish/Retaining-Gravity-on-the-Moons-Surface.htm

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2015, 09:48:47 PM »
Link?

Amazing that we haven't been back in 40+ years.

That's because the government has no interest in spending billions of dollars to visit a rock. They found nothing there and moved on. When they finally find nothing on Mars they will move on as well.