Author Topic: Lipa Shmeltzer Videos Thread  (Read 12148 times)

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
Re: Lipa Shmeltzer Videos Thread
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2015, 11:42:20 AM »
Lipa is a prime example of a charismatic, talented individual, whose capabilities were not appreciated and channeled correctly. Instead of his community embracing it, he was shunned (the Big Event saga was an awful, awful thing to do to someone). He has now come up with his own brand of Orthodox/Chassidic Judaism.

True, he is no rabbi, but he is influential, much more so than most rabbis. For the most part, he is harmless, perhaps even hepful. Shlock - I would agree with you that opening a Shul for people to feel comfortable in a "kosher" setting is a great thing that should be encouraged. I personally belong to a community where head-shaving is not a thing, so that video doesn't bother me. But, he does have campaigns I am against. He is a big proponent of getting a secular education - and that's fine. If he wants to campaign for that, good on him. But he is veering off from campaigning for secular education into campaigning against yeshivos, and encouraging the government to shut them down/change their function.

And even if I was ok with that, what's next? What would be your red line? He is a powerfully charismatic character who could go in any direction. Had his talent been appreciated and channeled appropriately, he may have used that influence in more acceptable ways to most.

The saddest part (for me) of this is that his music just plain sucks now. He used to have stirring lyrics, pretty melodies, and beautiful arrangements. Now, in his attempt to mainstream EDM in the Jewish community and go for popularity over substance, the quality of his music is just awful.

Offline ShlockDoc

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2015, 11:47:43 AM »
Lipa is a prime example of a charismatic, talented individual, whose capabilities were not appreciated and channeled correctly. Instead of his community embracing it, he was shunned (the Big Event saga was an awful, awful thing to do to someone). He has now come up with his own brand of Orthodox/Chassidic Judaism.

True, he is no rabbi, but he is influential, much more so than most rabbis. For the most part, he is harmless, perhaps even hepful. Shlock - I would agree with you that opening a Shul for people to feel comfortable in a "kosher" setting is a great thing that should be encouraged. I personally belong to a community where head-shaving is not a thing, so that video doesn't bother me. But, he does have campaigns I am against. He is a big proponent of getting a secular education - and that's fine. If he wants to campaign for that, good on him. But he is veering off from campaigning for secular education into campaigning against yeshivos, and encouraging the government to shut them down/change their function.

And even if I was ok with that, what's next? What would be your red line? He is a powerfully charismatic character who could go in any direction. Had his talent been appreciated and channeled appropriately, he may have used that influence in more acceptable ways to most.

The saddest part (for me) of this is that his music just plain sucks now. He used to have stirring lyrics, pretty melodies, and beautiful arrangements. Now, in his attempt to mainstream EDM in the Jewish community and go for popularity over substance, the quality of his music is just awful.

Great points. There's no way he can support that shul and be a role model for those youngsters without money.  So I guess he has to balance the line as an entertainer who needs publicity to pay his bills and as a crusader for progress in the community.  Crusaders for change are never accepted in the community at first so he can't have the best of both worlds. 

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2015, 12:02:20 PM »
Don't mock it.  I never appreciated the beauty and depth of the selichos until I went to a leibedik selichos.  Was the most inspiring selichos I've attended.
I think this discussion has been had before on DDF, but for the life of me, I can't understand how 'beauty and depth of the selichos' goes together with 'leibedik selichos'.

Offline ShlockDoc

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2015, 12:08:17 PM »
I think this discussion has been had before on DDF, but for the life of me, I can't understand how 'beauty and depth of the selichos' goes together with 'leibedik selichos'.

It surely doesn't surprise you that people are different.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2015, 12:23:58 PM »
It surely doesn't surprise you that people are different.
Of course not. I'm sure I would enjoy it too, but I'm not sure it would serve the intended purpose of selichos.

Offline CS1

• View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2015, 12:27:13 PM »

G-d wants people alive -- not repressed and oppressed. Passion and/or Simcha is a big part of the lives of chassidim, so in tefillla songs and music play a huge part regardless of the date on the calendar. In some yeshivas there's a kumsitz before slichos, too. Life cycles, return/teshuva, and hope for a better year are all reasons for emotional, uplifting, passionate song. (Rabbi Wolf in ma'ayon Yisroel in LA has a lot of leibidike songs and tunes for all occasions..)
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2015, 12:40:58 PM »
G-d wants people alive -- not repressed and oppressed. Passion and/or Simcha is a big part of the lives of chassidim, so in tefillla songs and music play a huge part regardless of the date on the calendar. In some yeshivas there's a kumsitz before slichos, too. Life cycles, return/teshuva, and hope for a better year are all reasons for emotional, uplifting, passionate song. (Rabbi Wolf in ma'ayon Yisroel in LA has a lot of leibidike songs and tunes for all occasions..)
I agree with all of that... except the suggestion that the purpose of selichos can be accomplished in that manner.

Offline CS1

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2015, 12:46:30 PM »
I agree with all of that... except the suggestion that the purpose of selichos can be accomplished in that manner.

if it's real then Hashem can make the purpose of slichos be accomplished in any manner.
whether on an israeli battlefield, in a singing shul or by yourself in a secluded location in idaho, PR, or tasmania if it's 100% real, heartfelt and proven by positive follow-up authentic actions in the coming year, then the purpose of slichos will be accomplished.
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline yochiek93

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2015, 05:10:04 PM »
celebrating and slichos is an oxymoron

Offline A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2015, 05:17:47 PM »
One can go Slichos hopping in Monsey

Offline CS1

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2015, 05:23:36 PM »
Monsey really has a selection i see.

The ma'ale of that one ^  ^  ^  is that it has the "pre-kumsitz" and it doesn't include the word "celebrate". However, bringing your own instruments is an interesting add-on.

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2015, 01:12:54 AM »
Lou Bob, I'm here.
Where are you? I don't see you.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2015, 02:26:26 AM »
One can go Slichos hopping in Monsey
Wow talk about diversity

Offline nocknock

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2015, 08:04:19 AM »
I think it's a shame that such a nice and ehrlicha forum like DDF should even have a thread for this GOIESHE MONGOLIAN

Offline churnbabychurn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2015, 08:15:50 AM »
Lipa is a classic modern Orthodox Bal habayis. Albeit a little more charismatic.

Nothing new to see here at all.
What is he selling? Secular Ed? inclusiveness? not blindly following gedolim? Modernizing some minhagim?

Wake me up when he comes up with something interesting or vaguely original.

Offline mgarfin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2015, 09:46:25 AM »
I heard that his shul closed over a dispute on an aliyah for a non shomer shabbos guy, but reopened after some agreement with folowers on mota Frank.

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2015, 09:51:19 AM »
I heard that his shul closed over a dispute on an aliyah for a non shomer shabbos guy, but reopened after some agreement with folowers on mota Frank.

Yeah, S. G.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2015, 09:54:57 AM »
3/4 of the chabad houses in the world would be closed for that :P
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2015, 10:16:15 AM »
3/4 of the chabad houses in the world would be closed for that :P

One does it for kiruv and one is a kal (at best) and likes other kalim.

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2015, 11:42:51 AM »
5/4 of the chabad houses in the world would be closed for that :P
FTFY :P