Author Topic: Long Term Rental (Lease) Vs Purchase  (Read 1191 times)

Offline JewJitSew

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Long Term Rental (Lease) Vs Purchase
« on: June 16, 2015, 10:40:22 AM »
A couple years ago I purchased a used BMW 335d - an amazing car due to its combination of performance and efficiency. I have a 100mi round trip commute to the office and thought this would be a perfect car for me as it is fun, reliable, and efficient. I love the car but it has had some major issues and I am highly thankful for the CPO 100k mile warranty that has paid out as much as the car's value. I will soon hit 100k and know that the risk is too large for me to keep this car without a warranty. I have two options, sell it or get an extended warranty.

While thinking on the topic I had another idea, what if I rented a car rather than buying? It would be like leasing without the regular maintenance, acquisition fees, down payments, and mileage limits while providing me with a new(ish) car.

As an Avis CC I typically drive nicer cars equivalent to what I would personally choose and when I want/need something special I can often exchange for that just by talking nicely to the rental agent. On an annual basis I average 1 week a month out of town and could, for all intents and purposes not pay for airport parking that week by returning the car.

Here is my math:
Currently I pay $550/mo payment + roughly $165/mo insurance + maintenance (has been covered previously but figure between tires etc. $1000/yr) $85/mo = $800 mo total

Renting based upon 4 weeks a month and not accounting for the one week per month where I don't require the car.
Average intermediate size weekly rate: $175 inl taxes (airport branch is most convenient so I pay a few dollars more – rate is as low as $130 as high as $200 during peak season but average is under $175)
I would add extra insurance coverage for non-owned vehicle to our second car covering us for rentals (even though I rely upon my Chase Sapphire) $10/mo
$710/mo total

Has anyone else contemplated the same and if so what did you ultimately decide? I will be at a break even on value by year's end to sell my 335d.
TIA.

Offline Platinum

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Long Term Rental (Lease) Vs Purchase
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 11:16:40 AM »
You also need to factor in the money you will get from selling your car.

Offline Toasted

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 11:31:04 AM »
A couple years ago I purchased a used BMW 335d - an amazing car due to its combination of performance and efficiency. I have a 100mi round trip commute to the office and thought this would be a perfect car for me as it is fun, reliable, and efficient. I love the car but it has had some major issues and I am highly thankful for the CPO 100k mile warranty that has paid out as much as the car's value. I will soon hit 100k and know that the risk is too large for me to keep this car without a warranty. I have two options, sell it or get an extended warranty.

While thinking on the topic I had another idea, what if I rented a car rather than buying? It would be like leasing without the regular maintenance, acquisition fees, down payments, and mileage limits while providing me with a new(ish) car.

As an Avis CC I typically drive nicer cars equivalent to what I would personally choose and when I want/need something special I can often exchange for that just by talking nicely to the rental agent. On an annual basis I average 1 week a month out of town and could, for all intents and purposes not pay for airport parking that week by returning the car.

Here is my math:
Currently I pay $550/mo payment + roughly $165/mo insurance + maintenance (has been covered previously but figure between tires etc. $1000/yr) $85/mo = $800 mo total

Renting based upon 4 weeks a month and not accounting for the one week per month where I don't require the car.
Average intermediate size weekly rate: $175 inl taxes (airport branch is most convenient so I pay a few dollars more – rate is as low as $130 as high as $200 during peak season but average is under $175)
I would add extra insurance coverage for non-owned vehicle to our second car covering us for rentals (even though I rely upon my Chase Sapphire) $10/mo
$710/mo total

Has anyone else contemplated the same and if so what did you ultimately decide? I will be at a break even on value by year's end to sell my 335d.
TIA.

I think ppl definitely have done this. They may throw you out if you're burning too many miles.

Offline JewJitSew

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 10:49:43 AM »
You also need to factor in the money you will get from selling your car.
I will just be breaking even on selling my car. Unfortunately.

Offline JewJitSew

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 10:55:01 AM »
I think ppl definitely have done this. They may throw you out if you're burning too many miles.
Do you mean as in putting too many miles on the car? I don't think it should be too bad. I am averaging 20-24k miles annually which is nothing compared to someone who actually drives for a living. I would hate to risk Avis CC but that is the only part making it a viable solution for me because I really don't think I could stand long highway commutes in a Kia etc.

Offline Moshke

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 10:49:35 PM »
I heard many ppl renting now from Vermont for 8 months and paying $500 range.
Can anyone explain how this works I tried checking rates showing to $8-900

Thank you