Topic Wiki

Thread summary:

Trump walks in a room.

1. Moshe123 shoots at him because he is pure evil, 2. ilherman+hachover jump in front of the bullets because Trump is our savior. 3. aygart tackles Moshe123 because Trump is better than HRC, 4. but Baruch can't stand Trump so he tells aygart he's crazy and Trump is a madman. 5. ExGingi would like to point out that who cares what he is, all that matters is the supreme court nominations. 6. Dan and others aren't really sure how this makes them feel plus they don't really want to drink poison. 7. Spoiler alert: Moshe123's gun was empty, it was just a blank.

And Freddie is in the back of the room just cooking his cholent. Until he announces that there are TWO menu choices, Pareve Cholent or Vegetable Lasagna. While etech0 figured out that they are both poisoned.

Repeat x100.

And then Hilary walks into the room with the most confidence a candidate has had in recent history. She is so confident that she eats both the Pareve Cholent and Vegetable Lasagna. Everyone is the room is aghast, they don't know how this happened, could it be Comey is behind this poisoning or was it that her Obamacare premiums were to high to get her the help she needed.

Everyone stared as she choked and was cast into oblivion on November, 8, 2016 the last day she was heard from in the public eye.

Moshe123, ilherman, hachover, Baruch, ExGingi, Dan, Freddie, etech0, and the rest of America are in total shock and hope that so long as Trump doesn't eat any Pareve Cholent and Vegetable Lasagna and stays true to his supreme court nominees this may be the greatest thing to happen since the CSR and GC's.

But remember this may be the beginning of the end...

P.S. Thanks to cognitive dissonance aygart, Michael Moore, and Scott Adams knew the whole time that Trump could win, unfortunately for JTZ he may be off DDF for the next 4 years due to his mandatory 3 times daily consumption of CROW!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub notes:

Nov 8 : Time to edit the wiki. Biggest upset in American History according to Michael Isikoff.

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=57647.0

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton_vs_johnson_vs_stein-5952.html
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump?lang=en
http://blog.dilbert.com/
http://fivethirtyeight.com/
All Political Ads - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvuOH0oJFwElBgRKz-eMlLw

As things turns out, the most prescient view on this election was that of Michael Moore! Though Scott Adams is also claiming a high view level of prescience.

Poll

Who are you voting for?

Clinton
12 (10.3%)
Trump
67 (57.3%)
Johnson
2 (1.7%)
Other (Write in)
8 (6.8%)
I don't vote in general and won't be voting this year
9 (7.7%)
I do vote in general, but won't be this year
19 (16.2%)

Total Members Voted: 117

Author Topic: US Politics/2016 Election Pick Your Poison Master Thread  (Read 3860732 times)

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: US Politics/2016 Election Pick Your Poison Master Thread
« Reply #11880 on: April 03, 2017, 01:10:40 PM »
Looks like we are headed nuclear on Gorsuch. My feeling is that the Dems are overplaying their hand over here. They have not been making the case to the public as to why Gorsuch should not be confirmed. Most of what we have been hearing is that the nominee should be blocked no matter who it is in revenge for Garland. Under those circumstances the Rs have a much easier case to nuke since it is not specific to this nominee and they certainly have a right to confirm someone. This would then ensure that future nominees would be confirmed as well even if they will reallly change the ideology of the court and would be an easier case for the fillibuster.
Irony?

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #11881 on: April 03, 2017, 01:16:51 PM »
Irony?
How so? I think it is simply short sighted of them. Maybe their blind hatred of everything trump
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #11882 on: April 03, 2017, 01:20:30 PM »
Big mistake for the R's to take this route just as it was a mistake when the D's did it for lower court nominations.
The Dems ( Shummer ) are the Masters of media. Its pathetic to see that Republicans can't make a case that would've gotten the moderate Dems to go along...

If they couldn't win the Gorsuch PR war ( when there was no war ) they won't win any...

Offline JTZ

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11883 on: April 03, 2017, 01:22:06 PM »
If they couldn't win the Gorsuch PR war ( when there was no war ) they won't win any...
+1
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline Toasted

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #11884 on: April 03, 2017, 02:24:13 PM »
The Dems ( Shummer ) are the Masters of media. Its pathetic to see that Republicans can't make a case that would've gotten the moderate Dems to go along...

PR wars are a self serving fantasy of the media who profits off it. DJT lost every PR war during the campaign. Bigly.

Offline springles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11885 on: April 03, 2017, 02:39:26 PM »

PR wars are a self serving fantasy of the media who profits off it. DJT lost every PR war during the campaign. Bigly.
agreed, but this isnt just a PR war. Its an actual governing war. And IMO this Gorsuch thing makes everyone look bad

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #11886 on: April 03, 2017, 02:57:29 PM »
Big mistake for the R's to take this route just as it was a mistake when the D's did it for lower court nominations.
Couldn't agree more. The Hebrew/yiddish expression for this is א בכיה לדורות!

The only silver lining that might come out of something like this is if Trump gets to nominate another one or two while the R's still control the Senate.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #11887 on: April 03, 2017, 03:31:28 PM »
What is the other option? They will do this for anyone nominated by Trump. This has nothing to do with Gorsuch at all. A different nominee would be the same story.

I am not so sure they lost the PR war. I think that those who care and are not alreaady partisan will place the blame on the Ds for not leaving any other option. The Rs are much better off getting done what would eventually happen anyhow with Gorsuch where it is quite clear that the Ds would never allow a vote on any Trump nominee.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #11888 on: April 03, 2017, 03:37:26 PM »
What is the other option? They will do this for anyone nominated by Trump. This has nothing to do with Gorsuch at all. A different nominee would be the same story.
I am not so sure they lost the PR war. I think that those who care and are not alreaady partisan will place the blame on the Ds for not leaving any other option. The Rs are much better off getting done what would eventually happen anyhow with Gorsuch where it is quite clear that the Ds would never allow a vote on any Trump nominee.
Please tell me you recognize the irony in your comments. If the non-partisans cared, wouldn't they have made it known when the R's did it to Garland?

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that one way or another, we're gonna end up with Gorsuch instead of Garland. But it's disingenuous to have a discussion about the second half of the story (D's all voting against, R's going nuclear to push Gorsuch through) without the first half (R's refusing to hold hearings on Garland).

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #11889 on: April 03, 2017, 03:49:31 PM »
Please tell me you recognize the irony in your comments. If the non-partisans cared, wouldn't they have made it known when the R's did it to Garland?

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that one way or another, we're gonna end up with Gorsuch instead of Garland. But it's disingenuous to have a discussion about the second half of the story (D's all voting against, R's going nuclear to push Gorsuch through) without the first half (R's refusing to hold hearings on Garland).
I think that people consider the 2 to be very different. With Gerland I think the Ds were all upset, the Rs happy and the non-partisans mostly indifferent since it was not an open ended no. It was very clearly a no only until the election. Had H won they would have confirmed Garland immediately before H nominates someone more liberal. They did not filibuster Sotomayor etc. There was no discussion of saying the new president, even if it were H would not be able to nominate anyone at all. The most it was is a delaying tactic and it was viewed as such.

What the Ds are saying now is that Trump should not be entitled to nominate anyone at all for his entire presidency. I don't think the public is ready to accept that.

I am referring to strategy alone. The arguments for and against it are all insincere based on the Barone rule- All process arguments are insincere including this one.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 03:53:40 PM by aygart »

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #11890 on: April 03, 2017, 03:51:54 PM »
I think that people consider the 2 to be very different. With Gerland I think the Ds were all upset, the Rs happy and the non-partisans mostly indifferent since it was not an open ended no. It was very clearly a no only until the election. Had H won they would have confirmed Garland immediately before H nominates someone more liberal. They did not filibuster Sotomayor etc. There was no discussion of saying the new president, even if it were H would not be able to nominate anyone at all. The most it was is a delaying tactic and it was viewed as such.

What the Ds are saying now is that Trump should not be entitled to nominate anyone at all for his entire presidency. I don't think the public is ready to accept that.
Ie a delaying tactic.

ETA: There's no qualitative difference, only a quantitative one. And your assumption about what the R's would've done if HRC won is exactly that - an assumption. One that can't be confirmed, since HRC didn't win.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #11891 on: April 03, 2017, 03:56:39 PM »
Ie a delaying tactic.

ETA: There's no qualitative difference, only a quantitative one. And your assumption about what the R's would've done if HRC won is exactly that - an assumption. One that can't be confirmed, since HRC didn't win.
The quantitative difference will be viewed as a big one. The proof regarding HRC is that they did not block earlier O nominees.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #11892 on: April 03, 2017, 04:00:12 PM »

I am referring to strategy alone. The arguments for and against it are all insincere based on the Barone rule- All process arguments are insincere including this one.
Very well stated.

However, they already managed to get a few D's to say they'll confirm. I don't know if at this stage, more can be won over with time, persuasion or by any other means, but I would have definitely preferred to see this advanced in a smart, rather than forceful way (that strategy failed with their attempt at Obamacare repeal & replace).
-- Dan

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #11893 on: April 03, 2017, 04:03:48 PM »
The quantitative difference will be viewed as a big one. The proof regarding HRC is that they did not block earlier O nominees.
I don't view that as proof of anything - it occurred in a vastly different political environment.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #11894 on: April 03, 2017, 04:03:53 PM »
Very well stated.

However, they already managed to get a few D's to say they'll confirm. I don't know if at this stage, more can be won over with time, persuasion or by any other means, but I would have definitely preferred to see this advanced in a smart, rather than forceful way (that strategy failed with their attempt at Obamacare repeal & replace).
I agree and wish it would not have come to this. My original point is that I think it is a foolish move by the Ds since this one is an easy one for the Rs to nuke. Had they let Gorsuch through they would still have the filibuster available next time with the ability to argue that it is due to the nominee and not the president and point to Gorsuch as proof.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #11895 on: April 03, 2017, 04:04:43 PM »
I don't view that as proof of anything - it occurred in a vastly different political environment.
how so?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #11896 on: April 03, 2017, 04:06:06 PM »
I agree and wish it would not have come to this. My original point is that I think it is a foolish move by the Ds since this one is an easy one for the Rs to nuke. Had they let Gorsuch through they would still have the filibuster available next time with the ability to argue that it is due to the nominee and not the president and point to Gorsuch as proof.
The Ds don't have an exclusivity on foolish moves. As a matter of fact, a cursory look at Washington seems to indicate that foolishness might be an entry requirement.
-- Dan

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #11897 on: April 03, 2017, 04:16:28 PM »
The Ds don't have an exclusivity on foolish moves. As a matter of fact, a cursory look at Washington seems to indicate that foolishness might be an entry requirement.
+10000000000000000 on that

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #11898 on: April 03, 2017, 04:19:47 PM »
+10000000000000000 on that
Next time please use commas, it's a little straining to figure out that number without them, even for those that would be barred from entering the Washington cesspool.  :)
-- Dan

Online zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #11899 on: April 03, 2017, 04:44:14 PM »
As a matter of fact, a cursory look at Washington seems to indicate that foolishness might be an entry requirement.

https://thefederalist.com/2017/03/31/consider-possibility-we-are-led-idiots/