Author Topic: Labor Day Hop on the WN Companion Pass: New York to Florida  (Read 45694 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Labor Day Hop on the WN Companion Pass: New York to Florida
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2015, 05:35:00 PM »
Guess u settled for Miami :)
Yup. Too much of a hassle with food, hotel, transport for VQS. But it's on my radar now.
Was gonna say, W bathroom I had last week looks 100x better than that.
Though to be fair, for $109 you basically are paying for a Motel 6...
Lol
Great TR so far, AJ. I don't have any plans to visit MIA, but on the rare chance that I find myself there in the future you're info could be useful (or outdated, who knows). Either way I enjoy reading!

Airboat rides are awesome! The place we used had a "show" afterwards where you got to hold and take a picture with a baby alligator. I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't expensive at all.
That would have been cool, but it wasn't imperative as we'd gone to a croc farm in Chiang Mai (see TR) that was nuts.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2015, 08:52:07 PM »
You can't take an award flight without writing how many miles it cost.
And you can't take a WN flight without writing what boarding number you got. C'mon! :)

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2015, 10:05:56 PM »
Great TR so far. Glad to have inspired the "live-blogging" version of your TR.

I'm currently in the Washington Hilton, figured we would get a nice room with HH Diamond status for the two nights we are here. Instead, the gave us a "bigger" room which was not designed in any logical manner, and it straddles some kind of machinery that makes a racket all day. I think we've had enough of slumming it in standard Hiltons and need to move back up to the Conrads.

Anyways, looking forward to the rest of your TR, and hopefully i can get my mini-TR out faster than some of your other one sin progress :).
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline eliteflyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2015, 12:07:45 AM »

For one, and the biggest issue, is the bathroom.  It simply does not compare to the bathroom of other Conrads; not even close.  I mean, in what world does a Conrad have a shower curtain??

It's a handicap accessible room, hence the grab-bars and curtain in the bathroom.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2015, 11:51:51 AM »
Friday morning dawned sunny, and after the morning prayers, off we went to Tasti Beach Cafe.

20150904_132016 by AJK DDF, on Flickr

Though we read mixed-reviews on this place, we thought both the food and the service were very good.  We unilaterally sat down at one of the outside tables, and a waiter quickly delivered menus unprompted. 

We each ordered one of these:

20150904_124301 by AJK DDF, on Flickr

Mrs. AJK ordered:

20150904_124435 by AJK DDF, on Flickr

And I ordered:

20150904_124342 by AJK DDF, on Flickr

The drinks were good, but the wraps were very good.  If you're someone who likes spicy, I'd definitely recommend the Miami Heat, and Mrs. AJK would definitely recommend the Avocado Wrap for those who like their food a bit on the tamer, but no less tasty, side.  Again, I must say that despite the reviews, we found the service to be quick and efficient.  Would definitely return.

After breakfast, we went around the corner to Kosher Price Market to get some provisions for Shabbas.  While there, I bumped into a friend of mine from Yeshiva who was in town for "draft day."  Apparently, he came down to Miami because LeBron James and Chris Paul are in his fantasy league and they were going to attend in person the draft day. I couldn't help but doubt the story, but he whipped out his phone and showed me emails from LJ himself. Pretty cool for someone who is into the fantasy league stuff. 

While in the store, I reached out to the Chabad Downtown (HT: Dan) and asked if they were having meals/minyanim that week and found out they were having minyanim and a lunch, but no dinner this week. So, after the Kosher Price Market, we went back to Tasty and ordered two salads for Friday night dinner.

We then went to the Frieze. And wow. If it isn't the best sorbet I've ever tasted, and it may be, it certainly is the most unique (and most expensive).

20150904_154501 by AJK DDF, on Flickr

I got red wine + lychee sorbet:

Mrs. AJK got passionfruit and pomegranate:

All of that for the low price of around $13.  But man were the flavors were rich and delicious, especially the red wine which was out of control. Must get it if you're in the neighborhood.

With our sorbet in hand, we walked around the outdoor Lincoln Road Mall, where Mrs. AJK did some shoe shopping and I dutifully followed and offered my opinions when solicited :P

With our sorbets finished, and the temperature remaining constant, we headed back to the car and drove back to the hotel stopping at Walgreens for some further provisions for Shabbas (read: candy and iced coffee).  On the way, we called the Conrad and requested a mini-fridge put in our room, a request which they were happy to accommodate. (Though, in fairness, it did take a follow up phone call to finally get it.)

Before shabbas, we wanted to check out the pool, which requires going from our room on the 22nd floor, up to the lobby on the 25th, down to the ground floor, heading across the entrance way to another tower part of the Conrad, which houses the gym on the bottom floor, and then heading to the 10th floor, where the outdoor pool is.  It's a bit of shlep, but can't complain when I'm taking elevators, instead of the stairs which we've done on shabbas many times.

Once up there, we were treated to a pretty pool and beautiful rainbow (it had been raining 30 mins prior).

20150904_183953 by AJK DDF, on Flickr

While we didn't go in, we had the pool to ourselves for most of the 20 mins we were there, and then headed back to the room to get ready for Shabbas.  Friday night we stayed in, davened, ate our salads, which were just the ticket after being vegetable-starved the past few days.

Shabbas morning, I had my iced-coffee and Entenmann's donut and we left to Chabad at 9:45 AM, arriving there just as they started davening at 10:00 AM. 

The building, owned entirely by the Chabad, is only a 10 min walk from the Conrad and is beautiful.  The shul is on the second floor, a preschool and mikva on the third, and a nice rooftop at the top, while the first floor is occupied by commercial tenants, the rental income of which helps to offset the not insignificant costs of running such an operation in downtown Miami.

Though we didn't have a minyan by Barchu, we had one by Shemona Esrei, and ended up with 15 worshippers, all led by Rabbi Eli Lipskar. (The Chabad is run by two brothers, Rabbi Chaim, the older brother, and Rabbi Eli, the younger brother. This week, Rabbi Chaim was away at a simcha.)

After davening, everyone was invited to a Kiddush/Lunch with mashke, salads, deli, and cholent, and we stayed until about 3 PM shmoozing with Rabbi Eli and his wife about food, travels on miles and... Dansdeals. A really nice guy all around.  Apparently, the Chabad, for the first time ever, is hosting a Kosher event for the South Beach Food and Wine Festival in 2016, with food prepared by three top kosher chefs being flown in to cater.  Event is limited to 100 diners at $250/pop.  DO anyone?

Apparently, Rabbi Eli i quite the lurker around these parts. Perhaps he'll pop up and reveal himself :)

We walked home in a drizzle and spent the remainder of shabbas relaxing.

After shabbas, we drove over to Cine Citta, a dairy italian place for some melave malka.

20150905_222016 by AJK DDF, on Flickr

20150905_222109 by AJK DDF, on Flickr

We ordered:

20150905_225350 by AJK DDF, on Flickr

20150905_224252 by AJK DDF, on Flickr

20150905_232141 by AJK DDF, on Flickr

Again, we were delighted by the service. The food though was a mixed-bag.  The pasta, on the one hand, was actually excellent. We added a touch of parm to the top and it really was delicious.  The pizza, though, was nothing special. It was just missing that *zing.* And the dessert was not worth getting; it just didn't compare to versions offered by similar restaurants.

Sunday morning, we woke up and decided to relax, so as DIA members, we partook of the Conrad's breakfast, where we had kosher yogurt, fruit, coffee, and juice on the balcony overlooking the bay.  When we were finished we were presented with our most expensive breakfast check yet:

20150906_104047 by AJK DDF, on Flickr

Luckily, most or all of that will be taken off.

Back to relaxing for now.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2015, 11:59:14 AM »
Dood.
Cinne Cita I told you that you had to get the gnocchi and the creme brulee (esp considering you are a creme brulee fan!)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 12:04:49 PM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2015, 11:59:37 AM »
Cool! At least shabbos wasn't too rainy.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2015, 12:02:15 PM »
You can't take an award flight without writing how many miles it cost.
And you can't take a WN flight without writing what boarding number you got. C'mon! :)

Fair question.

I think total for the round trip was 27K (Mrs. AJK has CP), and considering I booked this ticket about a week before Labor Day, and this being WN, and it being non-stop, that price (13.5K RT/person) was a miracle.

And, since I totally forgot about check-in, we were C3 and C4  :o

Not that it mattered, anyway, because we got to sit next to each other and weren't all the way in the back.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2015, 12:03:47 PM »
It's a handicap accessible room, hence the grab-bars and curtain in the bathroom.

Aha! I wonder if the non-accessible rooms have glass shower doors.

Dood.
Cinne Cita I told you that you had to get the gnocchi and the creme brulee (esp considering you are a creme brulee!)

:-[

Cool! At least shabbos wasn't too rainy.

Actually shabbas was our *only* rainy day, tG. Rained from lunch until Havdala, which suited us just fine.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2015, 12:08:13 PM »
Still since it's MIA and rain is inevitable, at least it came at the most opportune time.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2015, 12:12:51 PM »
Still since it's MIA and rain is inevitable, at least it came at the most opportune time.

Indeed. Can't complain about the weather.

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2015, 12:16:58 PM »
MIA is actually in a partial drought.

Offline Yaalili

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2015, 12:35:23 PM »
Good stuff, coming back soon for more.

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2015, 12:52:30 PM »
Fair question.

I think total for the round trip was 27K (Mrs. AJK has CP), and considering I booked this ticket about a week before Labor Day, and this being WN, and it being non-stop, that price (13.5K RT/person) was a miracle.

And, since I totally forgot about check-in, we were C3 and C4  :o

Not that it mattered, anyway, because we got to sit next to each other and weren't all the way in the back.
Thanks! Gotta love when WN prices are expensive when close-in but then cut in half with CP. :)
Glad you got seats together and not in the back. We sure could use another auto-checkin to come around.

Nice installment. As someone who has never been to MIA (except for a 1 nighter for a wedding without DW), I've wanted to learn what the Shabbos trip options are. This is definitely helping!

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2015, 12:53:58 PM »
Was actually going to ask why you did not part take in the Conrad breakfast daily. Bc you had a list of breakfast places you wanted to try or just dont like Conrad breakfast that much.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2015, 01:27:32 PM »
Was actually going to ask why you did not part take in the Conrad breakfast daily. Bc you had a list of breakfast places you wanted to try or just dont like Conrad breakfast that much.
Yeah, more the former. Too many places to worry about free yogurt :)

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2015, 01:34:16 PM »
MIA is actually in a partial drought.
That's good one . Come to CA to learn what drought means.

Offline Buruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2015, 01:39:12 PM »
Thanks! Gotta love when WN prices are expensive when close-in but then cut in half with CP. :)
Glad you got seats together and not in the back. We sure could use another auto-checkin to come around.

Nice installment. As someone who has never been to MIA (except for a 1 nighter for a wedding without DW), I've wanted to learn what the Shabbos trip options are. This is definitely helping!

It's even nicer when you plan in advance,  and get say lax-sju for 20k RT, and THAT gets cut in half to 10k pp :)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2015, 01:46:22 PM »
It's even nicer when you plan in advance,  and get say lax-sju for 20k RT, and THAT gets cut in half to 10k pp :)

Ha, yup.  Last time I flew ISP-FLL I got it for 3K RT P/P.

Offline KidOOO

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2015, 05:21:17 PM »

[deleted]

Just noticed this thread, reading it now love the pics

I actually am doing the same right now left from JFK this morning 6:40 am, going back tom. night

Funny thing we're staying at the W and also got upgraded to a massive suite 2 living rooms 2 bathrooms plus many other things we have no use for and some that we do..

Looking for a good steakhouse / meat place for tonight any recommendations?

If interested would love to get dinner with you guys and get to know the man behind the plane seat
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 06:03:09 PM by KidOOO »