Author Topic: Hurricane Harvey  (Read 15325 times)

Offline bb1836

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 154
    • View Profile
As @davidmal says: "Likes" feed the family

Offline Suave

• DansDeals Developer
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
    • SWIZU Web Development
  • Programs: Photoshop
Re: Hurricane Harvey
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2017, 04:23:33 PM »
Anyone want to fly down to Houston with me tomorrow?
DDMS Built with ♥ by SWIZU

Offline rs242

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2017, 12:47:39 AM »
Anyone want to fly down to Houston with me tomorrow?
U think his brisket is that good?

Offline bb1836

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2017, 12:48:17 AM »
U think his brisket is that good?
He won't be there tomorrow

Offline rs242

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2017, 12:49:31 AM »
He won't be there tomorrow
In his video he said he going for two weeks

Offline bb1836

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2017, 10:10:05 AM »
In his video he said he going for two weeks
He's gone for a few days but will be back. Has a wedding back home I believe. He's gonna come back and cook a few thousand meals for the upcoming yomim tovim! Incredible!

Offline bb1836

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2017, 05:11:18 PM »
A mini Houston TR cont...

Before going to sleep on day 1 we all wanted to go out somewhere, as it was our one and only night on Houston. I wanted to find a place that had a mechanical bull but that didn't work out too well. Instead the team settled on going out to Genesis for a midnight snack. Pretty good decision. The food was better than we expected and i would recommend this restaurant to anyone. Worth a quick jaunt if anyone has the time.

Day 2 began with Shacharis at the Chabad school. Beautiful building and amazing ppl there. They offered us breakfast but we all decided to go to Randall's supermarket as it had a kosher bakery section and a Starbucks. I highly recommend the bakery, and especially their donut/pastry section. Wow!

Standing online at the Starbucks kiosk, all of a sudden we hear over the supermarket loudspeakers: "Attention customers and employees, please evacuate the building immediately." The fire dept. had shown up, and turns out one of the stand-alone takeout carts had caught on fire. Nothing too dramatic (didn't get my morning cup o' joe though, harrumph).

We then drove to our assigned home that needed a complete demolition. The poor old lady who lived there, we couldn't save anything. Threw out all the furniture, tore down the ceilings, removed dry wall, the smell, the mold, the devastation, i have no words. The community.lost.everything!!! One person even said, the cloths you see me in are all that i have left. So sad.

Our next job was to unload and organize all of the trucks of donations organized by Achiezer and Seasons. They rented a warehouse where all of the community can come to restock on basic supplies. All i can say is Mi K'Amcha Yisrael. Everything a person needs to survive was donated from ppl all over the world. Toiletries, clothing, baby needs, food, food, food, electronics, bedding, air mattresses with notes on them from children saying things like, i hope you can find some comfort in Houston. Adorable. What an operation and what a tremendous demonstration of chessed!!

The A Team 

A quarter of 1 truck, basically.

What is going on in Houston now and what/how can you help?

Most of the city is back to normal and people are trying to get back into their daily routine, especially areas that were not flooded too bad. Most of the affected areas already got most of the demolition work done and now they are packing things up and moving out so they can start rebuilding. These areas need moving supplies (boxes, bubble wrap, packing paper). They also need trucks to move stuff into storage. These homes desperately need MoldX or similar mold prevention chemicals. They also need help packing and moving.
Some people could not get to their homes until this week. Those people are racing the clock to get the drywall and floors out before mold sets in. These people need help with demolition. Many are elderly and cannot do the heavy work themselves. (Most of the for profit crews are too busy and insurance hasn't started paying yet).

At this point we were pretty much done for the day as we still needed to shower, eat supper, and get to the airport to catch our flight home. I was going to find a cheap SPG or Hilton and use points to get a room for the team to shower in, but one of our crew had called the local YMCA and they graciously opened their doors for us to shower in. It was quite the experience, lol! We then drove back to HQ for a quick bite of supper, and then headed to the airport. Fastest security check-in of my life. Our Southwest flight had a grand total of 32 ppl plus a lap child. The flight attendants gave us all a shoutout over the loudspeaker and opened up their bar to us throughout the flight. The trip ended with a cool lighting storm just below us (couldn't get pictures, too dark), and an awkward one-sided hug from the stewardess as i walked off the plane. Thank you Susan!  ::)

Bottom line, there is a tremendous amount of destruction and we spent about 35/48 hours helping out as much as we can. The community was of course very grateful for all the help we gave them, and now it's off to Florida as Hurricane Irma approaches.  ;)

Here are just a few of the pictures we all took (the pictures do not do anything justice).

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 05:24:44 PM by bb1836 »

Offline cozmohoot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2017, 08:48:43 PM »
Mi Keamcha yisroel!

Offline regular

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite