Author Topic: Anyone having issues with the site signing them out?  (Read 13568 times)

Offline Eli

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
Re: Anyone having issues with the site signing them out?
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2011, 05:34:54 AM »
Ok, narrowed it down somewhat. There is a specific issue that has been going on just these past few days with users getting logged out of SMF forums. I didn't read a lot about it but it has to do with bots trying to log in with incorrect passwords for users and therefore the system automatically logs the user out. It seems these bots are trying to password guess and then post under a verified user. The system is set up to lock you out after 3 incorrect password attempts so I don't know why this is happening. I'll look into it more.

http://www.google.com/search?q=smf+getting+constantly+logged+out
-Eli

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2011, 06:21:51 AM »
I have confirmed that the regular posters on this site are getting errors of "Password Incorrect" multiple times but it's not coming from them. It's coming from bots who are targeting the site from multiple IP addresses or proxies (and that's why they are not getting blocked) and that is causing the users to be logged out. I will upgrade the forums and see what happens.
-Eli

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2011, 06:56:55 AM »
The forums have been updated. Please continue this discussion here: http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=5610
-Eli