Author Topic: building a sukkah shlock  (Read 10206 times)

Offline yitrap

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: building a sukkah shlock
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2015, 08:45:26 AM »
Looking at the picture I remember we have a pull on the other side as well because it extends past the succah the string then gets sent back into the succah making it a very taut tarp, I'll try getting a video after yk

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2015, 12:23:40 PM »
Looks like we're going to need one this year.  :'(

Some here will be needing their rain coats and galoshes - Good luck w that!

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2017, 07:44:31 PM »
What are options for canvas sukkah?
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2018, 09:53:45 PM »
I'm considering placing my schach support beams on an angle and just letting the shlock roll up and down the stairs. It would seem to give a tarp shlock considerably more support and avoid sagging. Has anyone ever tried this? Also, if I place the schach mats on a slope and put several layers of schach, shouldn't that keep all but the strongest rains out? Presumably the rain will just roll down the schach.... thoughts?
Using your g-d given right of stupidity is an option, not a requirement. Please use sparingly.

Offline rs242

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2018, 12:22:03 AM »
Ok I have to ask
What is it with Ashkenazim and there schlock? Why canít u just leave when itís raining and come out with a towel when it stops

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2018, 12:23:42 AM »
Ok I have to ask
What is it with Ashkenazim and there schlock? Why canít u just leave when itís raining and come out with a towel when it stops
Problem is when it stops raining but schach is still dripping. Also, this way you can leave things out without worrying.

Offline rs242

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2018, 12:24:51 AM »
Problem is when it stops raining but schach is still dripping. Also, this way you can leave things out without worrying.
I agree itís convenient to have but is it really worth the all the time and money that is put into it.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2018, 12:29:01 AM »
I agree itís convenient to have but is it really worth the all the time and money that is put into it.
That is an entirely different question

Offline justaregularguy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2018, 12:30:54 AM »
I'm considering placing my schach support beams on an angle and just letting the shlock roll up and down the stairs. It would seem to give a tarp shlock considerably more support and avoid sagging. Has anyone ever tried this? Also, if I place the schach mats on a slope and put several layers of schach, shouldn't that keep all but the strongest rains out? Presumably the rain will just roll down the schach.... thoughts?
you really think it would roll off? :o I feel like they drip inside no matter what...
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2018, 12:32:32 AM »
Make sure the schach is tied down so it doesn't slide down

Offline Zevi16

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2018, 01:58:09 AM »
Absolutely. For some people they use that as their main room. Many times itís a lot more roomy for all the married kids than their regular dining room.

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2018, 03:16:14 AM »
Absolutely. For some people they use that as their main room. Many times itís a lot more roomy for all the married kids than their regular dining room.
in my regular dining room/ kitchen I can fit about 8 people. In my sukkah I can fit at least 30
Using your g-d given right of stupidity is an option, not a requirement. Please use sparingly.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2018, 03:29:34 AM »
+

I've built one the last 2 years and are going to forgo on one this year. Waay too much work and time

Offline doodle

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2018, 06:14:58 AM »
Ok I have to ask
Because.. in middle eastern countries, where the Sefardim come from, it rarely rains on Sukkos ( think Israel..  )
However in Europe , were Ashkenazim originate, It rains on Sukkos.. 
Salt Is Good

Offline Josef.koney

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2018, 10:47:32 AM »

I'm not sure if I.understand you correctly, here's what I do and you can see if it helps.
I have all my succa walls on a slant (which means the schach beams and schach is as well.) This allows the water to flow down the succa (I'm obviously talking with a tarp.) I don't use the incline to role the tarp up and down, so there's no need for a crazy slope, a good few inches throughout the succa is plenty. I wouldn't advise a big slant as I find it allows the wind to come under, and the schach to bunch etc unless your willing to tie down in which case I have no experience. Just remember, for water to flow and not bunch up in one place, there's a need for a slight slant, hard surface (the schach in my case) and most of all a tight tight tarp.