Author Topic: building a sukkah shlock  (Read 19354 times)

Offline blerbz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: building a sukkah shlock
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2015, 11:30:35 AM »
I'll leave Halachic to those more qualified but from an engineering perspective you'll have an easier time with a cover.
But the point of my mostly humorous but slightly serious idea is that it solves the rain problem particularly for the first night. You have a kosher sukkah even when it's raining.
Also if you have a very narrow sukkah the fans need not be that strong as it just needs to bend/move the rain say 3 or 4 feet which may be possible with regular strong consumer fans like maybe a box fan

Offline blerbz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2015, 11:36:04 AM »
I have given up on shlocks but in the past I've used those light fiberglass/plastic panels screwed to a wooden frame that rests on the far side of the sukkah and the side close to the house is attached 2 feet or so above the schach (to allow for runoff). The far side has a rope tied to each end which is then attached to a pulley located on the house but by the second floor or higher with the rope then dropping down to ground level. Then you can pull up the shlock like a drawbridge and have a tie down metal thingy attached to the house at ground level so you can raise and lower it with two people inside the sukkah pulling on the ropes

Offline blerbz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2015, 11:37:15 AM »
And when it's up you just hold it there by tying it to the things attached to the house

Offline username

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2015, 11:40:28 AM »
But the point of my mostly humorous but slightly serious idea is that it solves the rain problem particularly for the first night. You have a kosher sukkah even when it's raining.
Also if you have a very narrow sukkah the fans need not be that strong as it just needs to bend/move the rain say 3 or 4 feet which may be possible with regular strong consumer fans like maybe a box fan
https://www.reddit.com/r/CrazyIdeas/comments/3de3vp/a_big_aircraft_with_a_huge_fan_to_blow_rainy/
^^^

Offline yitrap

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2015, 12:36:56 PM »
And when it's up you just hold it there by tying it to the things attached to the house
Yup

Offline cholent

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2015, 12:50:12 PM »
Pics of opening system?

+1, I'd love to see that. And if you could give some detail on how that part was set up... the actual shlock I think I get and could put together based on your photos
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2015, 01:22:21 PM »
I have given up on shlocks but in the past I've used those light fiberglass/plastic panels screwed to a wooden frame that rests on the far side of the sukkah and the side close to the house is attached 2 feet or so above the schach (to allow for runoff). The far side has a rope tied to each end which is then attached to a pulley located on the house but by the second floor or higher with the rope then dropping down to ground level. Then you can pull up the shlock like a drawbridge and have a tie down metal thingy attached to the house at ground level so you can raise and lower it with two people inside the sukkah pulling on the ropes
That was our original system, once we moved it was not doable against the house and free standing was too big, would shake the entire succah - our current system is very very good, on years that we get a lot of rain we sometimes have to push the tarp up from the inside if the water collects but if you pull the tarp taut not so much of an issue.
+1, I'd love to see that. And if you could give some detail on how that part was set up... the actual shlock I think I get and could put together based on your photos
I will try to get some pictures and possibly a video of it in action.

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2015, 01:51:54 PM »

Pics of opening system?
To retract the shlack.
Two strings connected to the wood farthest away from the wall goes to two single pulleys on the wall they connect to a double pulley in the center of the wall.
To extend the shlack.
String to the farthest piece from the wall long enough to reach over the succah even when retracted. Release whatever is holding the string on the inside and  pull the string on the outside to open.

Offline BBPAPA

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2015, 08:23:14 AM »
To retract the shlack.
Two strings connected to the wood farthest away from the wall goes to two single pulleys on the wall they connect to a double pulley in the center of the wall.
To extend the shlack.
String to the farthest piece from the wall long enough to reach over the succah even when retracted. Release whatever is holding the string on the inside and  pull the string on the outside to open.

A video in action would be great

Where did you get those long metal poles? How long are they-

How do you stabilize them to prevent from falling into the Sukkah?  Love the concept!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 08:35:39 AM by BBPAPA »

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2015, 08:43:34 AM »
Disclaimer - I just had a discussion with my father and he said
I am not sure that I recommend it. I am thinking of improvements. It doesn't have lasting power. And too complicated to fix when broken.

We've had it for at least 4 years already, apparently this year the tarp ripped in a few places and one of the pieces of wood snapped. I doubt we'll invent anything different this year though. 

Iirc the poles are the same ones used on a fence we connected two of them together using a rivet. I imagine it's around 14 feet long.

This is how it's held on the other side.

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2015, 08:45:26 AM »
Looking at the picture I remember we have a pull on the other side as well because it extends past the succah the string then gets sent back into the succah making it a very taut tarp, I'll try getting a video after yk

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2015, 12:23:40 PM »
Looks like we're going to need one this year.  :'(

Some here will be needing their rain coats and galoshes - Good luck w that!

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2017, 07:44:31 PM »
What are options for canvas sukkah?
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2018, 09:53:45 PM »
I'm considering placing my schach support beams on an angle and just letting the shlock roll up and down the stairs. It would seem to give a tarp shlock considerably more support and avoid sagging. Has anyone ever tried this? Also, if I place the schach mats on a slope and put several layers of schach, shouldn't that keep all but the strongest rains out? Presumably the rain will just roll down the schach.... thoughts?

Offline rs242

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2018, 12:22:03 AM »
Ok I have to ask
What is it with Ashkenazim and there schlock? Why can’t u just leave when it’s raining and come out with a towel when it stops

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2018, 12:23:42 AM »
Ok I have to ask
What is it with Ashkenazim and there schlock? Why can’t u just leave when it’s raining and come out with a towel when it stops
Problem is when it stops raining but schach is still dripping. Also, this way you can leave things out without worrying.

Offline rs242

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2018, 12:24:51 AM »
Problem is when it stops raining but schach is still dripping. Also, this way you can leave things out without worrying.
I agree it’s convenient to have but is it really worth the all the time and money that is put into it.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2018, 12:29:01 AM »
I agree it’s convenient to have but is it really worth the all the time and money that is put into it.
That is an entirely different question

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2018, 12:30:54 AM »
I'm considering placing my schach support beams on an angle and just letting the shlock roll up and down the stairs. It would seem to give a tarp shlock considerably more support and avoid sagging. Has anyone ever tried this? Also, if I place the schach mats on a slope and put several layers of schach, shouldn't that keep all but the strongest rains out? Presumably the rain will just roll down the schach.... thoughts?
you really think it would roll off? :o I feel like they drip inside no matter what...
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2018, 12:32:32 AM »
Make sure the schach is tied down so it doesn't slide down