Author Topic: Want a cheap Android phone plan? Virgin Mobile!!  (Read 10724 times)

Offline sprint

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Want a cheap Android phone plan? Virgin Mobile!!
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 01:03:03 AM »
Nice!
Still limited to 300 total incoming minutes with no nights/weekends.  I guess you can always just call the person back though with GV.
sorry meant 300 typo on the 400.

In response to your 2nd comment, that was kind of my point with the gv - with this app - If s/o calls you back on your gv, its routed via 3g data, and you do NOT get hit with minutes...so unlimited all around, so long as you educate the regular people calling you to call on your GV number.  Obvious downside is when you dont have 3g data service...

Offline Mordy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2011, 03:07:30 AM »
I actually bought GrooveIP to use money I had in a Google account to call Israel from a Tablet.

Here's the thing- calling over 3G is VERY iffy. The speed is there, but the latency is NOT. Remember, VOIP does not actually require much speed... heck, a 2G connection has more than enough bandwidth for a simple voice call (somewhere around 64k).
The problem is latency.
Cellular data is very high latency, which means the time between a request and response is very laggy. That means that while the connection is more than fast enough to carry voice, the voice will either echo or be extremely delayed. There are tons of VOIP services that are optimized for mobile that try to get around the latency problem... Fring and the newer Skype mobile, for example, support high-latency codecs for mobile connections if needed (at the cost of sound quality).
But this app is essentially a hack. It is connecting and using the codec for desktop calling, which is NOT optimized for mobile.

End result? I made a call over a solid EVDO connection the day I got it to test. The person on the other end was crystal clear, but our conversations were about 3-4 seconds off from each other. Its hard to describe how annoying it is to have a conversation like that unless you've tried.

Over WiFi, however, GrooveIP is excellent (and why I bought it- turning my tablet into a giant google voice enabled phone is brilliant!). If you intend to be at home or someplace with WiFi most of the time, this can work, however the constant polling to keep the connection alive will likely prematurely drain your battery (I did this with Skype back when they allowed free phone calls, and it ate my battery in a matter of hours). Still quite useful and an excellent proof of concept. Just don't expect this to work as your described above.
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

Offline ceejay

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 04:19:10 PM »

Offline aycee

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 04:50:14 PM »
Thanks for the post! I'm considering pulling the trigger on this one!

But one small correction (that makes no difference)

Virgin Mobile is a Sprint MVNO (mobile virtual network operator). That is, they rent unused airtime from Sprint, which essentially means you get to use Sprint service for less than they would normally charge.

They don't rent unused airtime. There is no such thing. They simply piggyback on Sprint's network and buy minutes wholesale and then resell them. Sprint is an MNO (Mobile Network Operator) as they operate a network, and Virgin is an MVNO which means that they operate a virtual network but they do not have their own actual network as their network is really just riding on Sprint’s. (Although I am not certain if Virgin would still be considered an MVNO as they are now part of Sprint since they were bought out.)

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 06:26:34 PM »
http://virginmobileusa.marketwire.com/easyir/ceom.do?easyirid=F4ABAEBA3A27ECD9&pagesec=vm_price

Sprint is realizing they have to boost ARPU on pre-paid, as (when considering the net growth) many of their customers are moving from post-paid to pre-paid.  Either way they are in a pickle, as their ARPU on prepaid is like $20 less than their postpaid ARPU (IIRC).

(Although I am not certain if Virgin would still be considered an MVNO as they are now part of Sprint since they were bought out.)

So now they are one of Sprint's pre-paid brands.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline ceejay

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2011, 09:52:06 AM »
Sprint is realizing they have to boost ARPU on pre-paid, as (when considering the net growth) many of their customers are moving from post-paid to pre-paid.  Either way they are in a pickle, as their ARPU on prepaid is like $20 less than their postpaid ARPU (IIRC).

I don't think that's the issue since they've always been two different markets. I really don think they're lying when they say its bec of data costs as they add more data intensive phones to their lineup.

Offline aycee

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2011, 10:37:41 AM »
So now they are one of Sprint's pre-paid brands.

Correct, and no longer an MVNO

Offline ashers

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2011, 10:45:18 AM »
can i get the phone with no plan? would love it for Israel....
it CAN be done!

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2011, 11:46:33 AM »
I don't think that's the issue since they've always been two different markets. I really don think they're lying when they say its bec of data costs as they add more data intensive phones to their lineup.

So what if their products cover two different market segments, the bottom line (literally) is that they are losing money.

Offline sawlw

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2011, 01:21:56 PM »
Not as easy as it looks....
easier!!!

Offline aycee

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2011, 01:25:30 PM »
I’m going to agree with AsherO on this.
The prepaid and postpaid markets used to be very different but today the prepaid markets of some the major carriers are beginning to cannibalize their own postpaid markets.
Prepaid plans are generally cheap with no contract necessary and no hidden fees. And now that they are being offered by the major carriers along with great phones many postpaid users see no reason to stay with postpaid and are switching over

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2011, 01:28:16 PM »
I’m going to agree with AsherO on this.
The prepaid and postpaid markets used to be very different but today the prepaid markets of some the major carriers are beginning to cannibalize their own postpaid markets.
Prepaid plans are generally cheap with no contract necessary and no hidden fees. And now that they are being offered by the major carriers along with great phones many postpaid users see no reason to stay with postpaid and are switching over

For some carriers this might be an opportunity. T-Mobile is doing $50 unlimited plans, then charging extra for 4g, international sms etc. They're getting more customers with decent ARPU ($50+), and stealing business from the competition in the process.

Offline yossi4k

• View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club National Executive Elite Sixt Platinum
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2011, 10:00:42 PM »
LG did something right with the Optimus. LG realized that the most important spec for a smooth android experience is the GPU, so they used THE SAME ADRENO 200 GPU found in the EVO ..
Im trying to understand the difference between GPU and 'processor'. As far as I can see the LG Optimus has a 600 MHz Processor on an Android 2.2 platform while the HTC EVO 3D has a  1.2 GHz Snapdragon processor on a  Android 2.3 platform...

Offline mancunian

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2011, 01:49:33 AM »
chap arain the plans are going up.

the $60 unlimited plan is still available at letstalk.com, i just bought one, or if you have a virgin phone you can still switch it

and go here to get real sprint service http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=991668

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2011, 01:55:08 AM »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2011, 01:56:52 AM »
chap arain the plans are going up.

the $60 unlimited plan is still available at letstalk.com, i just bought one, or if you have a virgin phone you can still switch it

and go here to get real sprint service http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=991668
Huh? The $60 plan was the one plan going down in price.  It's now $55.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mancunian

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2011, 11:58:10 PM »
thats right i totally missed the point.
the other two plans are going up.

Offline yossi4k

• View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club National Executive Elite Sixt Platinum
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2011, 03:58:29 PM »
what about the Motorola Triumph for $299.99? How would that compare to the HTV EVO?

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2011, 04:02:25 PM »

So what if their products cover two different market segments, the bottom line (literally) is that they are losing money.

Sprint is realizing they have to boost ARPU on pre-paid, as (when considering the net growth) many of their customers are moving from post-paid to pre-paid.  Either way, as their ARPU on prepaid is like $20 less than their postpaid ARPU (IIRC).

I told you so.