Author Topic: LAX to REP (Siam Reap)  (Read 1455 times)

Offline www.wondercoins.com

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
LAX to REP (Siam Reap)
« on: September 22, 2015, 03:39:29 AM »
Hi everyone.  I just signed up yesterday after learning about this website.  This is my first (of, hopefully, many) post(s). 

I am taking my son to Angkor Wat (Cambodia) next month and was thinking about using United points to fly with United's partner, Asiana Air.  I have never flown with this S. Korean Airline before, but have heard good things about it.  Has anyone out there flown from LAX to REP with Asiana?  Also, are there any better alternatives for us to consider?  I have airline points with United, American and Delta.  Any better partner out there of one of these (3) airlines to get to REP?  Thanks for any help with this!       

Offline yakrot

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: LAX to REP (Siam Reap)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 11:13:21 PM »
Hi everyone.  I just signed up yesterday after learning about this website.  This is my first (of, hopefully, many) post(s). 

I am taking my son to Angkor Wat (Cambodia) next month and was thinking about using United points to fly with United's partner, Asiana Air.  I have never flown with this S. Korean Airline before, but have heard good things about it.  Has anyone out there flown from LAX to REP with Asiana?  Also, are there any better alternatives for us to consider?  I have airline points with United, American and Delta.  Any better partner out there of one of these (3) airlines to get to REP?  Thanks for any help with this!       
Welcome to the forums!

Offline dandu16

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton gold, Hyatt Platnum, SPG Gold, Skyteam Silver
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 11:19:28 PM »
Asiana is great. Depends what class your taking.... If first try and snag a cathay flight to HK and from there to Cambodia. 

I would stop in Bangkok for at least a day. Stay at the park hyatt in siam reip....

Search the forums for trip reports. There are many.

Good luck!
"It is only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves"

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 02:14:59 AM »
Thank you Yakrot. 

Dandu16 - Thank you for the suggestion on the Park Hyatt.  I have Diamond status with Hyatt (which I will lose in Feb) as well as Platinum status with Starwood.  I noticed that the Le Meridian (using Starwood) is less than 4,000 points a night for a 5 night stay, while the PH is 15,000 points a night.  I love Park Hyatts obviously (who doesn't) but at 4,000 vs. 15,000 a night - the Le Meridian is looking pretty darn attractive to me. 

Funny you mention Bangkok - I was going there afterwards.  My daughter, Lauren, is helping a family friend for 1 year in BKK  - this young woman (now living in BKK as her rehab is far cheaper there) was hit by a car and needed many brain surgeries.  She is recovering slowly and my daughter is assisting with that.  We will stop by in BKK and spend a little time with Lauren.   

Thanks for the suggestion of Cathay - I'll check it out again though AA.   I did check on Cathay last month but they showed no business or First available to HKG any day in October!         

Offline Jm1248

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 02:19:15 AM »
Bear in mind that starwood points are a lot more valuable than hyatt points

Offline lunatic

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 02:20:53 AM »
Bear in mind that starwood points are a lot more valuable than hyatt points
Not 4x, though

Offline Jm1248

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 02:22:22 AM »
Not 4x, though
Right. But its something to weigh into the equation if the PH is significantly nicer than the Meridien

Offline 1050BU

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 03:33:03 AM »

Thank you Yakrot. 

Dandu16 - Thank you for the suggestion on the Park Hyatt.  I have Diamond status with Hyatt (which I will lose in Feb) as well as Platinum status with Starwood.  I noticed that the Le Meridian (using Starwood) is less than 4,000 points a night for a 5 night stay, while the PH is 15,000 points a night.  I love Park Hyatts obviously (who doesn't) but at 4,000 vs. 15,000 a night - the Le Meridian is looking pretty darn attractive to me. 

Funny you mention Bangkok - I was going there afterwards.  My daughter, Lauren, is helping a family friend for 1 year in BKK  - this young woman (now living in BKK as her rehab is far cheaper there) was hit by a car and needed many brain surgeries.  She is recovering slowly and my daughter is assisting with that.  We will stop by in BKK and spend a little time with Lauren.   

Thanks for the suggestion of Cathay - I'll check it out again though AA.   I did check on Cathay last month but they showed no business or First available to HKG any day in October!       

With CX availability becomes a lot better closer in. Within a few days of flight.

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 04:30:49 AM »
JM1248 - No question the SPG points are worth substantially more in my opinion as well.  And, one more important point to factor in (to me at least) -

If I book (5) nights at the Le Meridian for 19,000 points vs. (5) nights at the Park Hyatt for 75,000 points, I get one additional very important "extra" - I get 5 nights towards achieving my Platinum status at SPG for 2016, while at Hyatt I got 0 nights towards my Diamond status for spending those 75,000 points.  This is huge I believe and why I mentioned previously that I will likely be losing my top status at Hyatt in 2016.  I spent a lot of points in 2015 at Hyatt and earned no night credits towards my status in using those points.  SPG recognizes those nights on points as stay nights towards my status.  I sure hope Hyatt changes it policy soon on not recognizing the nights spent on points as nights in their hotel towards status.  In the meantime, with no disrespect intended towards Hyatt, SPG gets 90+% of my business.       

Offline dandu16

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton gold, Hyatt Platnum, SPG Gold, Skyteam Silver
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 07:28:19 AM »
Stayed at the Le Meridian. Compared to the PH, I would choose the PH.

They're both beautiful, however, one is a few classes above the other.

Go see beatocello, if he's in town.
"It is only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves"

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 03:12:54 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions Dandu16!   :D