Author Topic: Becker CPA 2011  (Read 28523 times)

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
Re: Becker CPA 2011
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2014, 05:45:45 PM »
Re CPA licensure in NJ: I've heard from multiple people that for the experience requirement, one does not need to be actually employed by a CPA, It is sufficient if one works in an accounting related field, even private, and just be "under the supervision of a CPA".
Can someone please show me a link to an authoritative source on this that would satisfy a very " by the book" CPA.
TIA!

It's the same in NY since the increase in the credits requirements.

Offline DP7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2014, 05:46:39 PM »
Re CPA licensure in NJ: I've heard from multiple people that for the experience requirement, one does not need to be actually employed by a CPA, It is sufficient if one works in an accounting related field, even private, and just be "under the supervision of a CPA".
Can someone please show me a link to an authoritative source on this that would satisfy a very " by the book" CPA.
TIA!

http://www.njscpa.org/index/students/cpa-exam/requirements

http://www.njscpa.org/files/BlankCPAExperienceLetter.pdf

Offline churnbabychurn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2014, 05:47:25 PM »
It's the same in NY since the increase in the credits requirements.
link?
The only loshon that I can find is:
One year of experience in the practice of public accounting or its equivalent, under the direction of a licensee; and - See more at: http://www.njscpa.org/index/students/cpa-exam/requirements#sthash.pDKWYBZS.dpuf

Need it to elaborate more...

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2014, 05:48:49 PM »
Is there anywhere that it would say explicitly that it is allowed or is it just implied. The CPA that I would be under is a real stickler
Is this enough?
45:2B-51 Requirements for licensure
10. a. Except as provided in subsection b. of this section, every applicant for licensure as
a certified public accountant, having passed the examination in compliance with the provisions
of section 9 of this act, shall provide satisfactory proof to the board that:
(1) The applicant has had one year of experience in the practice of public accountancy or
its equivalent, under the direction of a licensee meeting requirements prescribed by the board;
and
(2) The experience includes evidence of intensive and diversified experience in auditing
or accounting as determined by regulation of the board.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 05:52:48 PM by churnbabychurn »

Offline MarkS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2014, 05:50:27 PM »

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2014, 05:53:05 PM »
Is there anywhere that it would say explicitly that it is allowed or is it just implied. The CPA that I would be under is a real stickler..
Stickler or not, all you would be asking him to sign is the page listing Experience other than in Public accounting http://www.njscpa.org/files/BlankCPAExperienceLetter.pdf

If you are indeed doing any of the duties in the attached pic then that's all he needs to say. It's then up to the board to determine if that's enough (which they will)

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2014, 05:54:58 PM »
You make a good argument. Sounds good to me!  :)

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2014, 01:04:42 PM »
Stickler or not, all you would be asking him to sign is the page listing Experience other than in Public accounting http://www.njscpa.org/files/BlankCPAExperienceLetter.pdf

If you are indeed doing any of the duties in the attached pic then that's all he needs to say. It's then up to the board to determine if that's enough (which they will)
The last page clearly states that the signer must be an employer, not just a supervising
CPA. It would seem that even if the experience is not in public accounting, the employer must be a CPA.
How else would we send in the form if the employer is not a CPA?

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2014, 08:58:16 PM »
The last page clearly states that the signer must be an employer, not just a supervising
CPA. It would seem that even if the experience is not in public accounting, the employer must be a CPA.
How else would we send in the form if the employer is not a CPA?
As it says, 'has been employed by me or my firm'
What constitutes 'employer'? Only the CEO or 100% owner of the firm? My understanding is that it would include anyone in a managerial position. Assuming the person in that position is authorized to use company letterhead I don't see why there would be an issue.

In a large accounting firm for example, any partner or manager can sign this form. The accounting license number is the CPA's license number - not the firms. Yes the person signing the form must be a CPA. But he does not need to be the CEO or owner of the firm.

If you want to hear this for yourself call the NJ State Board of Accountancy at 973-504-6380

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2014, 09:33:15 PM »
My work experience is working in non public accounting. No One at my organization is a CPA. I do have plenty experience in a private industry "accounting department" that match many of the items in the list you posted.
I want a family member CPA (who does not work for my company,) to review and supervise my work, and sign the form. I have heard that this is possible, just not sure how and where he would sign.

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2014, 09:38:05 PM »
My work experience is working in non public accounting. No One at my organization is a CPA. I do have plenty experience in a private industry "accounting department" that match many of the items in the list you posted.
I want a family member CPA (who does not work for my company,) to review and supervise my work, and sign the form. I have heard that this is possible, just not sure how and where he would sign.
Ohh. I don't believe that a CPA who you are not working under can sign for you. My understanding from your earlier question was that you were working under a CPA at a company just not in public accounting. Having a totally separate CPA look over your work after hours doesn't seem to meet the criteria. Again - the NJ State Board has the final say on this.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2014, 09:47:09 PM »
Ohh. I don't believe that a CPA who you are not working under can sign for you. My understanding from your earlier question was that you were working under a CPA at a company just not in public accounting. Having a totally separate CPA look over your work after hours doesn't seem to meet the criteria. Again - the NJ State Board has the final say on this.
Though, I have heard that it can be done...

If anyone has more info i'd appreciate!

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2014, 01:07:18 PM »
Can work in a cpa firm before you do all the cpa exams, do the trick to count for you?

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2014, 01:08:28 PM »
Can work in a cpa firm before you do all the cpa exams, do the trick to count for you?
Any experience after you graduate counts.
Many people work for years before taking any exams. Once they finally pass, they get licensed since they already have the work experience.

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2014, 01:11:51 PM »
Any experience after you graduate counts.
Many people work for years before taking any exams. Once they finally pass, they get licensed since they already have the work experience.
Thanks. How many hours so you need to get? Can you combine from a few places, even if it's only a few weeks at some place? Does your employer have any reason not to sign off?

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2014, 01:13:57 PM »
Its after you get a bachelor.
You need one year of FT or two years of PT, all has to be done within a two year time frame. You can combine two FT, or two PT, the question is how to combine a half year FT and a full year of PT?

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
Thanks. How many hours so you need to get? Can you combine from a few places, even if it's only a few weeks at some place? Does your employer have any reason not to sign off?
I don't believe that there is a specific number of hours - however the state board has told me the following:
If you work 35 hours or more a week, doing that for a month counts as a month.
If you work less than 35 hours a week, two months of that counts as a month toward the 12 month requirement.

For example, you can work 10 months at firm A working 40 hour weeks and 4 months at firm B working 30 hour weeks and you will have a total of 12 months.

Offline Blazer

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2014, 07:34:38 AM »
The one year of experience that you need for NJ is only in audit or accounting I think tax doesn't count.

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2014, 07:48:13 AM »
The one year of experience that you need for NJ is only in audit or accounting I think tax doesn't count.
It needs to be at least 25% audit. The rest can be tax.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2014, 08:10:39 AM »
tax work can be counted as audit.

Tax Experience

Individuals who work in Public Accounting, who are working toward meeting the New Jersey experience requirement, and who are employed in the tax department of their firm/company should consider the following:

In order to meet N.J.’s experience requirement, 25 percent of your time must be spent in Auditing & Accounting (Item A. Auditing & Accounting.). Therefore, when filling out the N.J. Statement of Experience form, do not indicate that 100 percent of your time is spent in “Tax Services” (Item B under I. Public Accounting Experience).

Working in the tax department, you will spend significant time on the following Auditing & Accounting activities:

Testing, prepaid, intangible and deferred charges
    Review and verification of accounts payable and accruals
    Application of analytical review procedures
    Review of significant subsequent events
    Review of pertinent legal documents
    Review of financial statements
    Drafting of financial statement

Indicate on the form which of the above activities you have participated in, making sure that the numbers in “percent of time” under Auditing & Accounting total 25 percent. The remaining 75 percent should be listed under Tax Services.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 08:17:08 AM by churnbabychurn »