Author Topic: Verizon Unlimited Data Plans - price being raised $20 as of Nov. 2015  (Read 14105 times)

Offline Yehuda25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Re: Verizon Unlimited Data Plans - price being raised $20 as of Nov. 2015
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2015, 08:20:14 PM »
How does this impact those who signed a new contract and had a different line on the family plan use the upgrade?
You should be good until the end of the contract.
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline Shmelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 10:37:47 AM »
If I get a new phone now with the workaround will it stay $30?
No because you will not be entering a new contract (at least with the workarounds that I know of).
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2015, 10:41:06 AM »
No because you will not be entering a new contract (at least with the workarounds that I know of).

You will enter a new contract.

The steps are simple, go to a 3rd party retailer (I found costco reps to be helpful and familiar with the process) and transfer the upgrade from the unlimited line to another smartphone on the plan. Then upgrade the other phone to whichever phone you want. Now take the new phone from the upgrade and put it on the unlimited line.

Since the upgrade of the unlimited line was used-  it will extend the contract for 2 years.

― Aristotle

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2015, 10:43:42 AM »

You will enter a new contract.

The steps are simple, go to a 3rd party retailer (I found costco reps to be helpful and familiar with the process) and transfer the upgrade from the unlimited line to another smartphone on the plan. Then upgrade the other phone to whichever phone you want. Now take the new phone from the upgrade and put it on the unlimited line.

Since the upgrade of the unlimited line was used-  it will extend the contract for 2 years.
That's false IME as of 4 months ago. The contract was renewed on the line that I used the upgrade on, not the line I transferred the upgrade from.
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2015, 10:48:32 AM »
Can't you transfer the upgrade online with consumer plans?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2015, 10:55:48 AM »
Can't you transfer the upgrade online with consumer plans?
Yes.

― Aristotle

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2015, 11:02:48 AM »
That's false IME as of 4 months ago. The contract was renewed on the line that I used the upgrade on, not the line I transferred the upgrade from.
Upgraded in may and it worked.

― Aristotle

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2015, 11:03:40 AM »
For those that want the details - here is an excerpt from SD

4ever Method

The 4ever method is nothing more than the old upgrade transfer method except with a TDP line rather than a basic line. The 4ever Method is the preferred method if you have a TDP line to transfer an upgrade to as you will not be left with a pending activation or pending equipment order on your line. You must first activate the new phone on the TDP line in order to clear the PA/PEO from the TDP line. Then you put the TDP line's old phone back on the TDP line and the new phone on the UDP line.

When you do the 4ever Method, it is the UDP line's upgrade that is used and it is the UDP line's contract that is extended, not the TDP line's. The TDP line's contract end date and upgrade date do not change when you do the 4ever Method.

You can do the 4ever Method if you have a line situation like this (you can have additional lines too):

L1: UDP 3G or 4G LTE phone Yes
L2: TDP 3G or 4G LTE phone No

1) Log onto Verizon or Best Buy and transfer your UDP line's upgrade to a TDP line that is not currently eligible for its own upgrade;
2) Order the new smartphone you want on the TDP line selecting the TDP line's same data plan if required to select a data plan;
3) When the new smartphone arrives, activate it on the TDP line according to the directions that came with the phone using the SIM card that ships with the phone;
4) Wait at least an hour and make a few calls/text from the new smartphone to make sure it activated OK;
5) If the new smartphone and the TDP line's old phone have the same size SIM card, swap SIMs to put the TDP line's old phone back on the TDP line; if not, log onto Verizon to put the TDP line's old smartphone back on the TDP line; and
6) Depending on SIM card size, log onto Verizon and put the new smartphone on the UDP line or swap SIMs with the UDP line's old phone to put the new smartphone on the UDP line.

The 4ever Method works in-store anywhere upgrades can be transferred also, but it is NOT RECOMMENDED to do this in-store at a Verizon corporate store as Verizon reps can manually switch you off of UDP if they make a mistake or if they are just mean and feel like doing it to you. 4ever Method works in-store at Best Buy, Costco and Staples but the reps may tell you that you will lose your UDP but you won't if the rep does it properly. There are likely other stores that can do upgrade transfers, however Apple stores cannot do upgrade transfers.

If you do an upgrade transfer in-store and a rep tells you they have to switch you off of UDP, that is FALSE. It is best at that point to leave the store and do not allow them to switch you off of UDP. You have to control the reps and make sure they do the upgrade transfer properly and do not mess with your UDP if you are going to try to do an upgrade transfer in-store. Costco in-store reps in some locations will try to convince you that they have to switch you to the Data Max plan if you do 4ever because the system will automatically switch you to the 2GB plan - THIS IS FALSE. Leave the store if you encounter a rep like that.

If you do the 4ever Method in-store anywhere, be sure the rep understands you want to do an UPGRADE TRANSFER. Make sure they do NOT upgrade on the UDP line. Some reps may think you want to upgrade on the UDP line and then switch phones, which is not what you want to do and which will cost you your UDP. If you do an upgrade transfer in-store and a rep tells you they have to switch you off of UDP, that is FALSE. Walk away from the rep and do not allow them to switch you off of UDP. You have to control the reps and make sure they do the upgrade transfer and do not mess with your UDP if you are going to try to do an upgrade transfer in-store. Costco in-store reps in some locations will try to convince you that they have to switch you to the Data Max plan if you do 4ever because the system will automatically switch you to the 2GB plan - THIS IS FALSE. Leave the store if you encounter a rep like that.

It is best not to discuss switching phones b/t lines with an in-store rep. You do the phone switching yourself when you get home. Make sure the in-store rep fully understands that you want your UDP line's UPGRADE TRANSFERRED to the TDP line and that the purchase/activation of the new smartphone is to be done on the TDP line.

Then when you get home, you switch your phones around between lines yourself. It is best not to ask an in-store rep to switch phones for you because you may confuse them and they may try to upgrade on the UDP line.

4ever Method In-store

1) Go to a 3rd party retailer store where they can do upgrade transfers;
2) Have the rep transfer your UDP line's upgrade to a TDP line that is not currently eligible for its own upgrade - do not mention switching phones around between lines to the rep;
3) Have the rep purchase and activate the new smartphone on the TDP line;
4) Pay and leave the store;
5) When you get home from the store, wait at least an hour and make a few calls/text from the new smartphone to make sure it activated OK on the TDP line;
6) Log onto Verizon and put the TDP line's old phone back on the TDP line; and
7) Log onto Verizon and put the new smartphone on the UDP line.

― Aristotle

Offline Shmulie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2015, 11:06:22 AM »
best phone to get and then sell?

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2015, 11:06:54 AM »
And for those doing costco - I just found this online

All that looks good to me, Costco person here. The only thing to note is that we at Costco just recently switched from one internal Verizon system to their new one (Omni), as recently as a week or so ago even. Because of that we're still adjusting to the switch, so the "transfer upgrade" part may need some explanation to the rep, as it's a different process than the "alternate upgrade" option we used to use.

― Aristotle

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2015, 11:17:12 AM »
Upgraded in may and it worked.
Mine was in May as well. I guess YMMV.

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2015, 11:18:05 AM »
Mine was in May as well. I guess YMMV.
Where did you do it?

― Aristotle

Offline Aaaron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile

Offline yochiek93

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2015, 08:58:16 AM »
For those looking to upgrade before this goes live.  BB is having a sale on the S6 Edge.  $50 for upgrades only.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-4g-lte-with-32gb-memory-cell-phone-black-sapphire-verizon-wireless/4417008.p?acampID=0&ref=8575135&loc=0&id=1219627837370&skuId=4417008
Is there a sale only on the s6 edge or on all upgrades?

Offline yochiek93

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2015, 09:01:51 AM »
I have a couple of phones on a family plan one if the phones has an UDP two of the phones are due for upgrades (incl. The UDP) I upgraded the other phone yesterday do I need to wait till I activate the new phone before transferring the UDP's upgrade to the other one?

Offline yochiek93

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2015, 12:14:41 AM »
I have a couple of phones on a family plan one if the phones has an UDP two of the phones are due for upgrades (incl. The UDP) I upgraded the other phone yesterday do I need to wait till I activate the new phone before transferring the UDP's upgrade to the other one?
i transferred my upgrade but now on that page on verizonwireless.com it shows no upgrade available (good)
but while im checking every phone on the plan and i click on that phone it says "upgrade this device" (no good).
anybody?

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2015, 12:28:42 AM »
i transferred my upgrade but now on that page on verizonwireless.com it shows no upgrade available (good)
but while im checking every phone on the plan and i click on that phone it says "upgrade this device" (no good).
anybody?
I did everything in Costco  - they were familiar with the process and took care of everything.

― Aristotle

Offline yochiek93

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2015, 02:22:34 PM »
anybody?
I did everything in Costco  - they were familiar with the process and took care of everything.
just took time for the account to update thanx (i got the s6 edge for $50 and an s5)

Offline Shmulie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2015, 02:37:49 PM »
best phone to get and then sell?
BUMP

Offline yochiek93

• View Profile