Author Topic: Chase closing down all my credit card accounts without my knowledge??!!  (Read 17674 times)

Offline Yellow

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I'm in a lot of trouble
Tonight i was looking at my Chase online accounts and i noticed that all four of my credit cards have been shut down. So after my initial panic, I called up the number on my sapphire card and the rep. told me that Chase shut down my accounts because of something bad on my credit report. I didn't completely understand what she was saying because half her words were slurred. Let me just point out that: 1) I have never paid an account late or had any delinquent accounts 2) Carry very very low balances on my credit cards 2) Ichecked my credit report a few weeks ago and everything seemed in order and checked my score with Dan's deal for free and it was relatively decent. If it was just one card i wouldn't freak out, but this is four cards, which will severely impact my credit report. Furthermore, I am losing lots of credit history (one of the cards shut down was my oldest card). Furthermore i lost all my rewards, which is not much, but is still signifigant enough to upset me.
The crazy rep put me through to her manager and i left her a message but who knows if i'll get a call back...

I don't know whats going on but i know this is a grave situation and do not know how to proceed.
Should i go into the branch and speak to a manager? the rep told me that speaking to a manager won't help, but i'm so lost i dont know what to do!

Any advice would be helpful, as i am extremely nervous!
Thanks

:( :(
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 12:36:58 AM by PC »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Chase closing down all my credit card accounts without my knowledge??!!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 12:39:58 AM »
Did you miss any payments recently?  Or anything else that could be bad?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 12:45:30 AM »
Did you miss any payments recently?  Or anything else that could be bad?
i closed down two cards, and applied for the chase co cc (which i'm positive will be denied). of course this isnt great looking for a credit report, but why would it spur this???
The only thing really bad is that my credit limits in comparison to what i put down as my income is very high. I didnt ask for such high limits though, chase just periodically kept raising the limits without my requests.
I don't care about chase "blacklisting" me as much as i care about the severe damage this will do to my credit report. (this potentially can cause a mess that could take years to fix because these won't be listed as being shut down due to my requests, rather due to chase forcing them to be closed...)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 12:48:54 AM by PC »

Offline Cholentfresser

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
it would only make sense for them to warn you before doing such a crazy move (in which case u would shut them down on your own)....
In order to understand recursion, you first need to understand recursion.

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 11:01:41 AM »
it would only make sense for them to warn you before doing such a crazy move (in which case u would shut them down on your own)....
C'mon. Do you think that if i was given a warning or even a hint i would not have done something on my own?! But I was given no warning. This was totally out of the blue
(I actually did some research and many many people have complained of similar things happening to them with no warning and barely a substantial excuse)

Offline Cholentfresser

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 02:45:26 PM »
I wasn't saying that they must've warned you, I was saying that it's sick of them for not warning you...

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 12:07:36 AM »
I wasn't saying that they must've warned you, I was saying that it's sick of them for not warning you...
+1. Its unbelievable

FYI after calling up Chase lending services a couple of times, I got them to re-review my credit report and now my cards have been reactivated. This whole thing was beyond ridiculous, very time consuming, and quite aggravating. I never knew that Chase routinely checks credit reports using a hard pull for no reason, and then closes cards/reduces credit lines when they "see fit"
here's the weird thing: When i checked my online account, it showed all my cards reactivated INCLUDING the united card that I voluntarily closed down a few weeks ago  >:(

This mishigas just solidifies the negative feelings i have towards Chase
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 12:11:57 AM by PC »

Offline Cholentfresser

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 01:38:30 AM »
wow, sounds really messed up. I'm glad u were able to save your accounts, though.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 11:35:29 AM »
+1. Its unbelievable

FYI after calling up Chase lending services a couple of times, I got them to re-review my credit report and now my cards have been reactivated. This whole thing was beyond ridiculous, very time consuming, and quite aggravating. I never knew that Chase routinely checks credit reports using a hard pull for no reason, and then closes cards/reduces credit lines when they "see fit"
here's the weird thing: When i checked my online account, it showed all my cards reactivated INCLUDING the united card that I voluntarily closed down a few weeks ago  >:(

Glad to see your accounts were reinstated B"H.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 11:45:27 AM »
+1. Its unbelievable

What number did you call? I may want to try this too.

Offline mancunian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 11:09:29 PM »
wow scary, good to hear everything worked out for you

Offline mikel1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Amex Financial Review
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 02:26:04 AM »
i got FR by chase. they just closed all my accounts without any notice.  :( . how long does it take for this to come of my credit report?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 03:15:40 AM »
it is quite shocking they could take such a drastic measure without so much as a phone call/email/letter...

Did you find out the reason for why your accounts were closed? What was it on you report that triggered such a drastic measure?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Avid Reader

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 10:03:14 AM »
how long does it take for this to come of my credit report?

I wouldn't worry about the closed accounts hitting your CR that much. The negative affect is not that big. The real problem is to get another card from Chase again. What was their reason for closing you down?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 12:12:57 PM »
Furthermore, I am losing lots of credit history (one of the cards shut down was my oldest card).

I wouldn't worry about the closed accounts hitting your CR that much. The negative affect is not that big.

I beg to differ. Credit history composes at least 15% of your credit score. Additionally, and perhaps more importantly, the length of credit history is something ALL issuers look at. I don't care how high your credit score is, if a person lacks a significant credit history he will, all things being equal, have a much more difficult time getting approved for credit.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 12:27:03 PM »
I never knew that Chase routinely checks credit reports using a hard pull for no reason, and then closes cards/reduces credit lines when they "see fit"

This is very scary! Would freezing help?

Offline 3ZeroT

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 02:18:40 PM »
I beg to differ. Credit history composes at least 15% of your credit score. Additionally, and perhaps more importantly, the length of credit history is something ALL issuers look at. I don't care how high your credit score is, if a person lacks a significant credit history he will, all things being equal, have a much more difficult time getting approved for credit.

Yes but history/age (at least FICO model) includes closed trade lines too, and these closed accounts can stay on your report 10 years.  By then if/when the Chase accounts drop off, it probably won't matter as much (since you've presumably added 10 years of other account history).  Perhaps the most significant change to scoring though with closed CC accounts is your credit utilization, as the lines are on longer considered 'available credit'.  This probably isn't a big impact either unless most of your available credit had been with Chase and you are heavily using your remaining open cards.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 02:25:36 PM »
Yes but history/age (at least FICO model) includes closed trade lines too, and these closed accounts can stay on your report 10 years.  By then if/when the Chase accounts drop off, it probably won't matter as much (since you've presumably added 10 years of other account history).  Perhaps the most significant change to scoring though with closed CC accounts is your credit utilization, as the lines are on longer considered 'available credit'.  This probably isn't a big impact either unless most of your available credit had been with Chase and you are heavily using your remaining open cards.

Are we sure that average age of accounts and oldest accounts still count after they're closed as long as they're on the report?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 02:28:04 PM »
Are we sure that average age of accounts and oldest accounts still count after they're closed as long as they're on the report?

I certainly am not.

Offline 3ZeroT

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 02:34:09 PM »

This question has come up several times on myfico.com's forums, and that is what they say...