Author Topic: Purim - mishloach manos / dress up theme: Master Thread  (Read 31050 times)

Offline Yeki89

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Mishloach Manos Ideas
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2013, 01:03:39 AM »
Sounds good how do I get on your list
If you go through your records you should have my address. Come on by!

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2013, 01:22:05 AM »
i've never seen a better system than montreal: there's no mishloach manos dilemma. Tomchei Shabbos charges 2$ per name, the more people that give you the bigger your mishloach manos is, and all proceeds go to tzedaka. Dilemma solved. I don't know why it isn't implemented in other communities, I guess it can only work in smaller out of town communities
They used to have it in lkwd. I'm not sure which organization ran it, but IIRC they called it "send-it-splendid".
The only reason I could think of that they stopped doing is bec it wasn't worth it/they weren't making enough money.

Offline SavingsBigtime

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2013, 01:47:35 AM »
They used to have it in lkwd. I'm not sure which organization ran it, but IIRC they called it "send-it-splendid".
The only reason I could think of that they stopped doing is bec it wasn't worth it/they weren't making enough money.
or the fact that Lakewood got big enough that it's not called a out of town community

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2013, 02:01:59 AM »
or the fact that Lakewood got big enough that it's not called a out of town community
What does that have to do with anything?

Offline Devorah

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2013, 02:18:57 AM »

Offline SavingsBigtime

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2013, 02:25:43 AM »
What does that have to do with anything?
well do you think that Lakewood is the size of Montreal ?
All I'm saying is that it got big (b'h) and people just have there themes and everything .
That's it I'm saying that the smaller community's out there can do it but the bigger ones can't .

Offline mercaz1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2013, 09:28:23 AM »
we also did the smores last year and we dressed up as campers.

Offline ybeeds

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
    • JewishMusicStream.com
My office buzzes to the JewishMusicStream!!!

Offline Yeki89

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2013, 11:23:38 AM »
It's insane you get a card instead of mishloach manos an ani got tzeddaka.
Maybe you shud send out cards instead of putting on teffilin I gave tzeddaka, instead of eating matza I helped a old lady criss the street.
Or even instead of doing kibbud av viem I davened with extra kavana.

Enough is enough.

The real card should write, I was to lazy to make and deliver mishloach monas, I have no paitence for Purim. Therefore I gave money to tzeddaka (not to have a guilty concience) and they sent you this card (that i don't look cheap, even though I used masser money).

Be normal like the rest of the world, spend the $100 no the mitzva and give out your 20 MM.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2013, 11:30:47 AM »
It's insane you get a card instead of mishloach manos an ani got tzeddaka.
Maybe you shud send out cards instead of putting on teffilin I gave tzeddaka, instead of eating matza I helped a old lady criss the street.
Or even instead of doing kibbud av viem I davened with extra kavana.

Enough is enough.

The real card should write, I was to lazy to make and deliver mishloach monas, I have no paitence for Purim. Therefore I gave money to tzeddaka (not to have a guilty concience) and they sent you this card (that i don't look cheap, even though I used masser money).

Be normal like the rest of the world, spend the $100 no the mitzva and give out your 20 MM.

- 1/2

I don't agree exactly. People aren't just spending $100. That's the problem. And even $100. Not everyone has that to spend. And it's more of  a mitzvah to give Tzedakah so if someone decides to give less Mishloach Manos and give more to Tzedakah I think that's great.
I do agree that the whole sending out cards business isn't necessary. But the truth is one of the reasons people give out so many Mishloach Manos is because they feel pressured to give, especially if they are receiving from that specific person. If sending out a card helps in saying "hey, I thought of you" then so be it.

It shouldn't be needed, but maybe it is.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2013, 11:44:27 AM »
- 1/2
+1

The mitzvah is to give to one person.

Being mehader in matanas l'evyonim is supposed to have precedence over being mehader in mishloach manos.

That said, I was never a big fan of this "donation in your honor" mishegas, whether it's purim or a simchah or whatever. (for one thing, at the very least give it to the charity of my choice. You're not doing me any favor by donating to help save the baby seals.)

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2013, 11:56:47 AM »
+1

Being mehader in matanas l'evyonim is supposed to have precedence over being mehader in mishloach manos.

That said, I was never a big fan of this "donation in your honor" mishegas, whether it's purim or a simchah or whatever. (for one thing, at the very least give it to the charity of my choice. You're not doing me any favor by donating to help save the baby seals.)

One can send out Happy Purim cards with thinking of you messages and  Chag Sameach without an actual Shaloch Manos. And then just give that "saved" money to Tzedakah.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline L'Chaim

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2013, 05:01:30 PM »
+1

Reminds me of the guy that came to the mir this week, collecting for an אביון מהודר.  ::)

Offline yaakov s

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2013, 08:24:09 PM »
If you go through your records you should have my address. Come on by!
I sent you a gift??

Offline e-Lawyer

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2013, 04:56:53 PM »
..... I guess it can only work in smaller out of town communities

I love the reference to "out of town" communities. :-) That reference drives me crazy.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:13:20 PM by e-Lawyer »
How do you get a group of lawyers to smile for a picture?

A: Just say "Fees!"

Offline e-Lawyer

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2013, 05:06:36 PM »
So, you know the drill...
The wife needs to sit down with the husband to discuss mishloach manos for this year... (costumes for the kids is a whole other thread ;D )

You have to give to every neighbor who might pass by our doorstep and don't forget every 14th cousin, the "shadow" who works in your daughters classroom, who takes care of a special needs kid in the class who happens to be in the same class as your kid, in addition to all teachers and assistants who add up to 9 people and whoever is going to be at the Purim meal this year etc etc..
Don't forget the 17 two year olds in your son's playgroup and the Mexican maid who might see and be sad that she didn't get.

It has to be a theme or something "cool" and go break your head trying to figure out what to put in it that won't make you look "nerdy" or "nebbish".

So you sit down and start brainstorming and, no matter what options you choose, it comes out to literally hundreds of Dollars...

Can anyone relate?..

OK, so since people around here like saving money, I thought it would be a good idea to exchange ideas for mishloach manos to fit everyone's budget.

I'll personally share the one I gave out last year which was "cool" and relatively inexpensive (of course I cannot repeat the same thing this year cause that would automatically render it "uncool"), but I hope someone out there can benefit from the idea and I hope this could become a good brainstorming session and be useful for myself, as we as others who can use the info.

This is what I gave last year, I hope someone out here can use the idea, IIRC it came out to about $5 per mishloach manos.

I could not have said this better myself and I could not agree with you more except for the part about it costing hundreds of dollars. The whole point of actually sitting down and talking about it, is to avoid the hundreds of dollars part. :-)

Last year, since Purim fell out on Friday* - we (the royal we) baked cinnamon raisin and chocolate chip Challos and gave out 2 smallish Challos (one of each) in a nice bakery box with 2 small bags of chocolate chips and cinnamon sticks, bakers twine and a cute sticker.

We of course dressed up as bakers.

*Even without Friday, it is a nice thing for people to use at the Seudah.

The total cost was somewhere in the $16 range FOR ALL 60 Mishloach Manot we made!!!!!

All the flour for the Challah came free from Whole Foods and the only costs were sugar, oil, chocolate chips, cinnamon and cinnamon sticks, twine ($1.86 at walmart), bakery boxes ($.05 each), and bakery wax paper ($5 for the box).

Granted it was a lot of work, and we literally baked for days straight, but they tasted awesome.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:16:04 PM by e-Lawyer »

Offline e-Lawyer

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2013, 05:11:15 PM »
Our guiding light until now has been to do something practical (i.e., no junk), that presents well, and consists of free or extremely discounted sale items (through couponing).

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2013, 12:34:51 AM »
I could not have said this better myself and I could not agree with you more except for the part about it costing hundreds of dollars. The whole point of actually sitting down and talking about it, is to avoid the hundreds of dollars part. :-)

Last year, since Purim fell out on Friday* - we (the royal we) baked cinnamon raisin and chocolate chip Challos and gave out 2 smallish Challos (one of each) in a nice bakery box with 2 small bags of chocolate chips and cinnamon sticks, bakers twine and a cute sticker.

We of course dressed up as bakers.

*Even without Friday, it is a nice thing for people to use at the Seudah.

The total cost was somewhere in the $16 range FOR ALL 60 Mishloach Manot we made!!!!!

All the flour for the Challah came free from Whole Foods and the only costs were sugar, oil, chocolate chips, cinnamon and cinnamon sticks, twine ($1.86 at walmart), bakery boxes ($.05 each), and bakery wax paper ($5 for the box).

Granted it was a lot of work, and we literally baked for days straight, but they tasted awesome.

Funny how the wax paper ended up being about 30% of the cost of your Mishloach Manos!

Offline txtmax4

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2013, 01:16:00 AM »
Yeah, it's either racking your brain with a cute one and having to write explanation or doing E-Z pass and shelling out hard cash.
I'm sure the former is most appreciated, at least from my point of view, but you need to spend more time on it usually.
Time is of essence to some. I'm happy with finding the right balance and not "baking for days straight".
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline e-Lawyer

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2013, 08:23:50 AM »

Funny how the wax paper ended up being about 30% of the cost of your Mishloach Manos!

I know!