Author Topic: ygygold's Live Kauai TR  (Read 21029 times)

Offline ygygold

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Day Three
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2015, 07:30:30 PM »
Day Three

Got up same as everyday, me at 7 DW at 5-6. Took a long nice swim in the hotel pool, ate some breakfast, and we were ready to roll by 12PM.

First place we went was Po’ipu Beach for some snorkeling. I’m not great swimmer, not even a good swimmer, but I decided to come over my fares and go snorkeling.

The beach was pretty full, although most people were sitting on the grass and eating/grilling/relaxing. When we went in we didn’t see lots of fish, but then a women pointed us to one area where there is lots of fish, and oh yeah she was right! We saw beautiful fish and sea creatures. My Cube Action Camera decided not to work, so I don’t have any footage. I almost got a panic a attack when I realized how far I am from shore, but thank god, I overcame the fare, and was able to enjoy the snorkeling.

The only thing I overlooked was how bad my skin reacts to the sun, and how exposed you are while snorkeling. I didn’t feel it at the moment, but my whole back got badly burned by the sun.

Then we went to one of the most beautiful places I’ve seen on the island, Queens Bath! We hiked down there, it’s about a 10 minute hike. The hike itself is not hard, but after a rain it’s very slippery. You pass a waterfall on We then went to the he way which is nice. We asked people who were on the way up if we can swim in it. They all said that water is not calm enough.

Once you get down you have to walk a few hundred feet to the left. There are two or three pools including queens, but only queens is made to swim in. when we got there we saw lots of people standing  around and watching the waves, and slowly they all went in, and so did we! There were some waves, but not too strong. Saw lots of fish, and the stones in the water all have grass and greens on them.

On the way down:

On the way between the lava rocks:

One of the pools:

Queens Bath:

Then we went to the Hanalei lookout, beautiful place. There is not much parking there, and you stand on the main highway (don’t worry, in NY it would barely classify for a local road).

We then drove down to tunnels beach to go swimming and maybe see sunset from there. However on the way over there, my burns started to come out, and the pain was bad! Once we arrived (we had luck and took the last parking spot), we sat down on the sand, and watched the waves for 25 minutes, I didn’t  think that I should swim with a burned back, so after watching the waves we started to head back.

The way between Tunnels Beach and the Hanalei Lookout is really nice, driving up and down mountains and crossing single lane bridges.

I had planned to see at the hotel how bad my burns are, and maybe go to the spa later. But when I wanted to take a shower to rinse off the sand from all the beaches, the water brought out the pain of the burns ten times the amount I felt before. So to bed it was.

Thursday I got up early since I went to sleep early the night before, but I wasn’t in the mood to do anything. The pain was bad, I felt like I have a fever because my body was so hot from the burns, so we stayed in the hotel till checkout, watched the Benghazi Hearing on CNN (stupid republicans!).

Drive back to the car rental was uneventful, stopped to empty out all the trash from the car, but I didn’t need gas since I had filled up a day earlier up north. BTW I should mention that the Camaro has great gas millage, I drove about 300 miles, and only used one tank of gas.

When returning my car I got a wonderful surprise! Instead of the $500 National had quoted me, They only charged me $240!  Don’t ask me how or why because I don’t know. I ran as soon they gave me that price.

We didn’t wait more than a minute for a shuttle to take us to the airport, once we arrived there we checked our bags at the “agriculture inspection”, then to the regular inspection. And before you board the plane, you have to pass the agriculture inspection on your carry on.
Our flight to LAX went out on time, I upgraded to Economy Plus, and thankfully there was no one sitting in the seat near us.

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: ygygold's Live Kauai TR
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2015, 07:42:40 PM »
Awesome TR so far.
I'm thinking about getting a wrangler for LIH. thoughts?

Offline tageed-lee

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 73
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2015, 08:59:40 PM »
Awesome TR so far.

I loved the Wrangler experience! And gas was not too bad considering....

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2015, 01:20:27 AM »
Awesome TR so far.
I took a wrangler from the Executive Isle at the National lot in LIH, loved that car

Offline mechayamom

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2015, 05:50:48 AM »
Awesome TR. great pictures so jealous. We tried driving to polihale and gave up after a half mile in
With the convertible. Maybe that is because the day before we tried to drive to the maha'ulepu beaches and the road was so pitted our car hit a huge hole. We didn't want to risk that again.

Leaving Kauai in about 6 hours and heading to the big island. We had a great six days here.

Offline E R K

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2015, 08:12:57 AM »
Leaving Kauai in about 6 hours and heading to the big island. We had a great six days here.

Looking forward to your TR!

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: ygygold's Live, Long Kauai TR
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2015, 03:26:08 PM »
Great report, really enjoyed! (not sure if you're continuing in LA)
The kayak and hike looked awesome - will have to do it next time!
So glad you had good lighting in Waimea, I have to go earlier next time. And WOW those pictures from sunset on Polihale!!
I can totally relate to the sunburning. I lathered up with sunscreen, but still got burned wherever I didn't put it on.

Awesome TR so far.
I think it's a good idea. Was our first time in a convertible, and while it was cool for a few minutes, neither of us were like yaaaah convertibles rock! 4WD sure seems like it would be helpful for Polihale.

Offline ygygold

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2015, 03:28:29 PM »

So glad you had good lighting in Waimea, I have to go earlier next time. And WOW those pictures from sunset on Polihale!!

I have to say I played with the exposure on those pics, in real life it wasn't the same. If I have time I'll post the originals.  (somethingfishy, any thoughts? )

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
Re: ygygold's Live, Long Kauai TR
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2015, 07:39:09 PM »

I think it's a egood idea. Was our first time in a convertible, and while it was cool for a few minutes, neither of us were like yaaaah convertibles rock! 4WD sure seems like it would be helpful for Polihale.

I have to disagree, we felt the convertible really enhanced the trip. When you have all of the beauty around, you really want to get to see as much of the view as possible. 

Offline ygygold

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2015, 07:42:31 PM »
I have to disagree, we felt the convertible really enhanced the trip. When you have all of the beauty around, you really want to get to see as much of the view as possible.
+1 I have a 4wd suv all year round. Nothing special about it in Kauai.

Offline Sholom123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2015, 08:10:54 PM »
Awesome trip report!! Can't wait for the rest
Thank you.

Offline ygygold

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2015, 08:12:37 PM »
I'm done with the Kauai part. Not sure if I'll continue with the LA part of the trip

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2015, 08:14:29 PM »
+1 I have a 4wd suv all year round. Nothing special about it in Kauai.
I guess you haven't been on the mololi Ridge road.

Offline ygygold

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2015, 08:15:24 PM »
I guess you haven't been on the mololi Ridge road.
Just looked it up. No We didn't do it.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 08:20:02 PM by ygygold »

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2015, 08:32:47 PM »
Just looked it up. No We didn't do it.
It's an epic epic drive at the end of which you're rewarded with an spectacular view down a valley of the na pali coast,
I took a glistening white wrangler & caked it with mud on the trail, the drive was one of the most fun things I did in kauai.

Needless to say it can only be done in a 4WD

Offline zow

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2015, 10:07:54 PM »
Just wanted to add my appreciation.  It takes so much effort and diligence to write and photograph and post...I hope it enhanced, and didn't detract from, your trip.  Thanks so much. Kol hacavod.

Offline ygygold

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2015, 01:40:01 AM »
Just wanted to add my appreciation.  It takes so much effort and diligence to write and photograph and post...I hope it enhanced, and didn't detract from, your trip.  Thanks so much. Kol hacavod.

Thanks!

Offline ygygold

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2015, 01:46:10 AM »

I have to say I played with the exposure on those pics, in real life it wasn't the same. If I have time I'll post the originals.  (somethingfishy, any thoughts? )

Originals:

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2015, 01:25:49 PM »
Wow, great pics and TR. Sorry about the sun burns; they're a really fun-killer. Glad the trip overall was a success! I hope things worked out (for food, etc) in LA.

Offline ygygold

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2015, 03:46:33 PM »
Wow, great pics and TR. Sorry about the sun burns; they're a really fun-killer. Glad the trip overall was a success! I hope things worked out (for food, etc) in LA.
Fun-killer is really an understatement. It still hurts.
LA was great. In a nutshell :

Ate breakfast at La Brea Bagel. Was very good. Cruised around Hollywood Blvd, wasn't in the mood of doing anything (second time in la). Went to Ralphs for shabbos food.

Shabbos was relaxing. I realized 5 minutes after the zman that my hotplate doesn't work. So we ate room temperature on Friday night. Bought a new book from former CIA Director /Secretary of Defense Leon Pennata, very interesting read. And that's all!

Went Motzei to Nagila pizza, had the spinach and vegetable pizza's. It's Ok. Nothing to write home about.
Then we went to Munchies for ice cream and to bring home for the kids. IC is not new York quality and of course not the rassel (how do you spell it?).

Sunday we had a late brunch at Cafe Elite. Greek and Cesar salads were delicious! But for some reason the person at the register decided not to tell me that the omelet comes with a salad of its own. Oh and they charged me for the coffee. I'm used to it being complimentary when you spend 40 on a breakfast.

We went to the Citadel Outlet Mall since we really wanted to shop, and we're used to Woodbury Commons prices. I really liked the place, and bought a few things.

I should mention a small jewish clothing store on the block next to cafe elite. Good stuff for great prices. Not sure of the name.

For dinner we went to Tipats. Awesome awesome food. Had the potato bleek soup, and the boneless rib-eye medium rare. Best onion rings I ever had. Fries and bread pudding was just ok (I'm not sure if we actually got bread pudding, might be they made a mistake. I didn't see where the name comes from).

I booked our Lax -  EWR tickets within the 24 hours. There was no economy seating open. When I spotted two seats I quickly booked it through my father's account, and figured I'll transfer him some UR once I'm back. Turns out he doesn't need it. Yay me