Topic Wiki

List of TR's:

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:
The local supermarkets (e.g. Nesters or IGA in Banff) have many kosher shelf products.

There's frozen chicken and some meat products here, also a kosher aisle of dry foods: Safeway Glenmore Landing - 1600 90 Ave SW, Calgary, AB T2V 5A8, Canada

Synagogue:
None, though check GoDaven for temporary minyanim

Things to Do:

Download the GuideAlong app (formerly known as GyPSy Guide) and purchase the package for the Canadian Rockies Tours for $24.99. This self-paced guided audio tour covers Banff National Park, Lake Louise, Yoho National Park, Jasper National Park and more. It's an incredibly useful and informative app.

Banff
Johnston Canyon hike, Upper Falls recommended, 2 hr round trip.
Banff Gondola, take boardwalk (15 min, spread out stairs) to peak for amazing views
Mountain Biking - e.g. Tunnel Bench Loop (moderate, lots of fun with great views)
Bow Falls and Bow River
Lake Minnewanka and Two Jack Lake loop drive - boat cruise tour and speedboat rentals available

Lake Louise (45 min drive from Banff)
Shoreline trail walk
Canoe rentals
Lake Agnes teahouse hike (moderate, 2.5 hrs round-trip, can continue to Little Beehive or Big Beehive)
Plain of 6 Glaciers hike (moderate, 5-6 hrs round trip, Tea House along the way)
Lake Louise gondola

Moraine Lake (30 min drive south from LL)
2023 Update: Access by personal vehicle to Morraine Lake is no longer allowed. The only options to get to Morraine Lake are by Canada Parks Shuttle, private Lake Morraine bussing companies, and maybe a private tour bus. Local Banff bus service (Roam) may also have a shuttle to Morraine in addition to their service to Lake Louise. Reservations for busses get booked up early, so plan at least 3-4 days ahead. [Parking is extremely limited, arrive very early or later in the day, road is closed when parking is full.]
Walk along lake
Canoe rentals sometimes available
Rockpile climb to great viewpoint

Athabasca Glacier Adventure (90 min drive from Lake Louise or Jasper)
Early arrival recommended (first tour is at 10:30am, book online in advance)
2 hour duration, bring bottle to drink glacier water
Wear layers, temperature is unpredictable
Skywalk is a tourist trap, you can skip it and stay on bus to return to parking lot

Icefields Parkway drive from Athabasca Glacier to Banff with scenic stops:
Parker Ridge trail 2-hour round-trip hike (medium difficulty, uphill climb)
Peyto Lake viewed from Bow Summit (cars must park in lower lot and walk 10 min, but later in the day the upper lot can be used)
Mistaya Canyon (beautiful pull-off hike along Icefields Pkwy. Hike is about 10 minutes down to a powerful river rushing through a canyon with waterfalls)
Bow Lake (quick pullout stop)

Jasper

Yoho National Park
Takakkaw Falls
Emerald Lake
Natural Bridge

Hotels:

Getting Around:
A car is basically a must, though there are shuttles from Banff to the major attractions.
The nearest commercial airport is Calgary (YYC), a 90 min drive from Banff.

Notes:

Author Topic: Banff and Jasper Master Thread  (Read 155061 times)

Offline ayjay

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Banff Master Thread
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2013, 05:18:12 PM »
Of course. An infant will always limit what you can do on every trip.

That in it of itself doesn't mean it's not worth doing unless there's nothing worth doing there when you have in infant (a la an OWB in MLE/BOB)
I don't think it's waste of time. Just driving around and making stops at different lakes (moraine, louise, emerald, peyto...), falls (takakawa, Johnston, sunwapta) and mountains along the way is beautiful. Certainly very relaxing.
Also, if you're not gonna do too many hikes you can drive down to the Waterton lakes, which are also supposed to be beautiful, although I've never been there.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2013, 05:22:09 PM »
Driving around with a toddler and missing a nap unfortunately doesn't qualify as relaxing :'(
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ayjay

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2013, 05:29:31 PM »
Driving around with a toddler and missing a nap unfortunately doesn't qualify as relaxing :'(
so stay home 8)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2013, 05:32:13 PM »
If I had that attitude I wouldn't have flown on 45+ flights with Rafi in the past 20 months and I'd have to change my screen name to yehuda S  ;)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 13, 2013, 05:32:17 PM »
so stay home 8)
::) Or go somewhere more conducive for a two year old
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2013, 05:34:57 PM »
Or go somewhere more conducive for a two year old
Precisely what I'm trying to figure out though not really grasping the situation there yet.

Are there enough stroller accessible hikes, lakes, and places to walk around to keep us occupied for a few days.

10 hour round-trip drives to Jasper are just not in the cards unless it's worth spending a night or 2 there.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 13, 2013, 05:36:37 PM »
It's a tough age because nothing will really be entertaining to him other than parks and children's museums

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2013, 05:39:06 PM »
It's a tough age because nothing will really be entertaining to him other than parks and children's museums
He's fine being pushed around in a stroller.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2013, 05:40:27 PM »
He's fine being pushed around in a stroller.
I understand that, I meant for it to be interesting for him

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 13, 2013, 05:42:42 PM »
I understand that, I meant for it to be interesting for him
Don't really need a trip to be interesting for him.  Need it to be tolerable for him so it will be enjoyable for us.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2013, 05:51:49 PM »
Don't really need a trip to be interesting for him.  Need it to be tolerable for him so it will be enjoyable for us.
Have you called the Fairmont and ask what they suggest? They should be able to tell you what can be done when bringing a baby.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 13, 2013, 06:07:52 PM »
Have you called the Fairmont and ask what they suggest? They should be able to tell you what can be done when bringing a baby.

TITCR

I can't help on this one; I wasn't thinking about such things when I did the area.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2013, 06:40:35 PM »
::) Or go somewhere more conducive for a two year old

Next up, TR from disneyworld :)
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 13, 2013, 07:10:42 PM »
Next up, TR from disneyworld :)

And parks don't mean Disney

Offline BrooklynCPA

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 20, 2013, 04:51:03 PM »
If anyone is considering joining one of the KMR tours to either Colorado or Banff, I can possibly get you a discount for $350. PM me for more details.

http://www.kmrtours.com

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #115 on: June 20, 2013, 04:59:46 PM »
If anyone is considering joining one of the KMR tours to either Colorado or Banff, I can possibly get you a discount for $350. PM me for more details.

http://www.kmrtours.com
$350 total or $350 off list price?

Any chance they'll bring Dan as a guest speaker?

See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2013, 05:59:51 PM »
Precisely what I'm trying to figure out though not really grasping the situation there yet.

Are there enough stroller accessible hikes, lakes, and places to walk around to keep us occupied for a few days.

I personally think that there's no such thing as a stroller accessible "hike". Pleasant walk or stroll, sure. But a "hike"? The Kalalu trail is a hike. Narrow cliffside trails, climbing over rocks and roots, and arriving somewhere remote and beautiful as a reward.

I think going to Banff just for the views and some walks is a huge pity. Why not save it for when you could enjoy it properly, as well as do all the activities?

If I were you I'd go to Yellowstone and the Tetons. You'd still get insanely amazing scenery and most everything is stroller accessible (boardwalks). You have amazing mountains, canyons, waterfalls, and a million other things. The advantage over Banff is that the walks aren't just walks, but they take you up close to some of the most amazing thermal features, things you won't see anywhere else in the world. You could spend weeks there and not see it all. And not to mention that Rafi would love all the bison, antelope, and moose roaming free and up close. He'd probably also enjoy the rodeo in Cody.

Basically if you're going somewhere to see things instead of doing things, I think Yellowstone/Tetons is far more interesting.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2013, 06:27:32 PM »
I personally think that there's no such thing as a stroller accessible "hike". Pleasant walk or stroll, sure. But a "hike"? The Kalalu trail is a hike. Narrow cliffside trails, climbing over rocks and roots, and arriving somewhere remote and beautiful as a reward.

I think going to Banff just for the views and some walks is a huge pity. Why not save it for when you could enjoy it properly, as well as do all the activities?

If I were you I'd go to Yellowstone and the Tetons. You'd still get insanely amazing scenery and most everything is stroller accessible (boardwalks). You have amazing mountains, canyons, waterfalls, and a million other things. The advantage over Banff is that the walks aren't just walks, but they take you up close to some of the most amazing thermal features, things you won't see anywhere else in the world. You could spend weeks there and not see it all. And not to mention that Rafi would love all the bison, antelope, and moose roaming free and up close. He'd probably also enjoy the rodeo in Cody.

Basically if you're going somewhere to see things instead of doing things, I think Yellowstone/Tetons is far more interesting.
Nu, so who's gonna do Kalalau with me :D

I loved the all day Waimea/Na Pali hike I did with my wife 3 years ago but those days are long gone.  I can't really picture the scenario when I'll be able to do Banff right until way in the future.

Plus we're spoiled and Banff, Lake Louise, and Jasper have highly rated Fairmonts we can stay in for free and get several free massages to boot.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 20, 2013, 06:32:40 PM »
Award availability this summer to Cody, WY seems dismal...

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #119 on: June 20, 2013, 06:52:36 PM »
Award availability this summer to Cody, WY seems dismal...

Check JAC, it's the closest. BIL is also an option, you drive the amazing Beartooth Highway to get to Yellowstone. IDA is about a two hour drive away, maybe check that out too.

I flew in to SLC, about 4 hours away, but much cheaper, many more options, and the drive itself is beautiful so it wasn't that bad.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 07:00:13 PM by Something Fishy »
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons