Topic Wiki

List of TR's:

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:
The local supermarkets (e.g. Nesters or IGA in Banff) have many kosher shelf products.

There's frozen chicken and some meat products here, also a kosher aisle of dry foods: Safeway Glenmore Landing - 1600 90 Ave SW, Calgary, AB T2V 5A8, Canada

Synagogue:
None, though check GoDaven for temporary minyanim

Things to Do:

Download the GuideAlong app (formerly known as GyPSy Guide) and purchase the package for the Canadian Rockies Tours for $24.99. This self-paced guided audio tour covers Banff National Park, Lake Louise, Yoho National Park, Jasper National Park and more. It's an incredibly useful and informative app.

Banff
Johnston Canyon hike, Upper Falls recommended, 2 hr round trip.
Banff Gondola, take boardwalk (15 min, spread out stairs) to peak for amazing views
Mountain Biking - e.g. Tunnel Bench Loop (moderate, lots of fun with great views)
Bow Falls and Bow River
Lake Minnewanka and Two Jack Lake loop drive - boat cruise tour and speedboat rentals available

Lake Louise (45 min drive from Banff)
Shoreline trail walk
Canoe rentals
Lake Agnes teahouse hike (moderate, 2.5 hrs round-trip, can continue to Little Beehive or Big Beehive)
Plain of 6 Glaciers hike (moderate, 5-6 hrs round trip, Tea House along the way)
Lake Louise gondola

Moraine Lake (30 min drive south from LL)
2023 Update: Access by personal vehicle to Morraine Lake is no longer allowed. The only options to get to Morraine Lake are by Canada Parks Shuttle, private Lake Morraine bussing companies, and maybe a private tour bus. Local Banff bus service (Roam) may also have a shuttle to Morraine in addition to their service to Lake Louise. Reservations for busses get booked up early, so plan at least 3-4 days ahead. [Parking is extremely limited, arrive very early or later in the day, road is closed when parking is full.]
Walk along lake
Canoe rentals sometimes available
Rockpile climb to great viewpoint

Athabasca Glacier Adventure (90 min drive from Lake Louise or Jasper)
Early arrival recommended (first tour is at 10:30am, book online in advance)
2 hour duration, bring bottle to drink glacier water
Wear layers, temperature is unpredictable
Skywalk is a tourist trap, you can skip it and stay on bus to return to parking lot

Icefields Parkway drive from Athabasca Glacier to Banff with scenic stops:
Parker Ridge trail 2-hour round-trip hike (medium difficulty, uphill climb)
Peyto Lake viewed from Bow Summit (cars must park in lower lot and walk 10 min, but later in the day the upper lot can be used)
Mistaya Canyon (beautiful pull-off hike along Icefields Pkwy. Hike is about 10 minutes down to a powerful river rushing through a canyon with waterfalls)
Bow Lake (quick pullout stop)

Jasper

Yoho National Park
Takakkaw Falls
Emerald Lake
Natural Bridge

Hotels:

Getting Around:
A car is basically a must, though there are shuttles from Banff to the major attractions.
The nearest commercial airport is Calgary (YYC), a 90 min drive from Banff.

Notes:

Author Topic: Banff and Jasper Master Thread  (Read 155089 times)

Offline how

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Banff Master Thread
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2013, 03:06:39 PM »
Jasper is 7:20 round-trip according to Google.

That's much more than I'd want to drive in a day on vacation.  I'd rather skip it.

Well if you look at it that way your right but when you put together an itinerary its not that simple. There are lakes and falls that are 1.5 2 hours away from banff and if your there anyway its just another hour to jasper. but frankly I dont think rafi will have such a thrill walking on ice and you can skip it.

Keep in mind that part of the beauty of banff is the driving. Banff is vast and seeing stunning views and wildlife wherever you go - you actually enjoy the drive.

Offline how

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2013, 03:10:09 PM »

If there aren't any kid friendly hikes what is there to do with a kid? Am I better off going someplace else?
There is a lot more to Banff then hikes. But if your looking specifically for a kid friendly place go to Disneyland. But if you do want to go to banff, I dont think bringing a kid is so bad.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2013, 03:11:17 PM »
There is a lot more to Banff then hikes.
That's what I'm asking.  What is there to do and how many days should be devoted to it?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline how

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2013, 03:32:43 PM »
That's what I'm asking.  What is there to do and how many days should be devoted to it?
Its gets dark very lat there so you can plan a full day. I think 3 week days should be good if your not going to jasper.

The thread basically covers all the sites there. Bow lake and the Banff gondola are both in banff. I dont know if can take a baby on a canoe but the walk around the lake is nice. Lake Louise is about 45 min drive but is a must see. There is a fairmont there and a beautiful walking path around the lake which should be fine with a good stroller. Lake Moraine is probably even nicer then lake Louise and is about a half hour a way there also stroller no problem.
Lake minnawanka loop is a drive so no problem there and there is a nice picnic area there as well and maybe a boat ride.
then you have the further attractions such as peyto lake emerald lake Takawwawa falls etc which are all nice to see and dont require any hiking.

If you want you can try calling the concierge at one of the Fairmonts and ask the concierge for more ideas, but keep in mind that just being there is gorgeous you don't have to run on a hike to enjoy the beauty.

Offline Feivish

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2013, 11:19:37 PM »
Dan, any plans yet? Please post as I'm planning a vacation this summer and can't decide what to do with the small ones joining me.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2013, 11:23:58 PM »
Still unsure if going to Banff with the little one is worthwhile.  There are probably better options out there but I keep going back and forth.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2013, 11:29:36 PM »
I spent a couple of weeks in the Canadian Rockies a few years ago and would certainly do it with a baby. There is plenty to see without much hiking and for the small hikes, like the ones around Morraine lake etc, you can take a baby carrier.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2013, 11:31:00 PM »
I spent a couple of weeks in the Canadian Rockies a few years ago and would certainly do it with a baby. There is plenty to see without much hiking and for the small hikes, like the ones around Morraine lake etc, you can take a baby carrier.
2 years olds don't go in baby carriers and aren't likely to want to stay on a path so unless it's stroller friendly it's a tough sell.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2013, 11:31:56 PM »
2 years olds don't go in baby carriers and aren't likely to want to stay on a path so unless it's stroller friendly it's a tough sell.
Not even the carriers that go on the back?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2013, 11:39:27 PM »
Even if I had the strength to do that most 2 year olds aren't gonna want to be like that for more than 2 minutes.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2013, 11:44:16 PM »
Even if I had the strength to do that most 2 year olds aren't gonna want to be like that for more than 2 minutes.
I hear that. When I was in the Canadian rockies I did a 5 day hike carrying a tent and 45 pounds on my back for days, rock climbing and hiking up and down mountains etc., but in a way a kid in the back can be even harder I guess.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2013, 11:45:59 PM »
Infinitely harder.

Offline Feivish

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2013, 11:53:36 PM »
Infinitely harder.
Yeh, not you nor the 2 year old will enjoy it.

Offline Mordy2

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2013, 07:03:21 PM »
The key questions are: What do you plan on doing there? How does Rafi behave on such trips?

You'll be limited traveling with a 2 year old to the Canadian Rockies.  Most of the attraction is the scenery- lakes, hiking, boating etc... and the driving! I know that my two year would not behave on such a trip! She doesn't last in the carriage or car seat for more than 5 minutes!! If I remember correctly, most of the basic paths/ trails can be done with a stroller.  Also, some of the lakes have a special handicap access (I remember this for Peyto Lake forsure- however, you're compromising on the view by using it.) As far as attractions: find out if there are any restrictions... I did a quick search- Banff Gondola and the Columbian Icefields allow little ones onboard. Not sure about boating- are little children allowed on canoes, kayaks etc??
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 07:06:47 PM by Mordy2 »

Offline Mordy2

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2013, 07:05:24 PM »
Can you take a babysitter along?? You'll definitely enjoy the trip much more that way!! The Canadian Rockies is really awesome- I can't wait to get back there!

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2013, 11:19:28 PM »
Can you take a babysitter along?? You'll definitely enjoy the trip much more that way!! The Canadian Rockies is really awesome- I can't wait to get back there!
If you are taking along a babysitter why limit yourself to the C Rockies.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2013, 11:26:05 PM »

I enjoy the trip better when I don't take the babysitter (wife) along    :D

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2013, 02:33:30 PM »
I'd like to visit Banff this summer (perhaps with another couple), and I was thinking about simply renting an RV which would help me accomplish three things:

1) I'd be able to skip paying for hotels,
2) I'd have a vehicle to visit all the different sites (as I understand a car is necessary), and
3) I'd be able to, well, rent an RV, which is on the bucket list.

Anybody got ideas or experience with renting RVs? Renting RVs in banff?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2013, 03:06:25 PM »
I'm also looking forward to doing this one day, but from people I've spoken to who've done this it's
A. Not so comfy
B. You won't end up saving that much $
C. Definitely doesn't sound doable with another couple
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2013, 03:15:05 PM »
Saving money is least compelling reason.

The adventure and experience are the chief reasons why I'd try to pull this off.

It'd have to a close couple ;)
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper