Topic Wiki

List of TR's:

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:
The local supermarkets (e.g. Nesters or IGA in Banff) have many kosher shelf products.

There's frozen chicken and some meat products here, also a kosher aisle of dry foods: Safeway Glenmore Landing - 1600 90 Ave SW, Calgary, AB T2V 5A8, Canada

Synagogue:
None, though check GoDaven for temporary minyanim

Things to Do:

Download the GuideAlong app (formerly known as GyPSy Guide) and purchase the package for the Canadian Rockies Tours for $24.99. This self-paced guided audio tour covers Banff National Park, Lake Louise, Yoho National Park, Jasper National Park and more. It's an incredibly useful and informative app.

Banff
Johnston Canyon hike, Upper Falls recommended, 2 hr round trip.
Banff Gondola, take boardwalk (15 min, spread out stairs) to peak for amazing views
Mountain Biking - e.g. Tunnel Bench Loop (moderate, lots of fun with great views)
Bow Falls and Bow River
Lake Minnewanka and Two Jack Lake loop drive - boat cruise tour and speedboat rentals available

Lake Louise (45 min drive from Banff)
Shoreline trail walk
Canoe rentals
Lake Agnes teahouse hike (moderate, 2.5 hrs round-trip, can continue to Little Beehive or Big Beehive)
Plain of 6 Glaciers hike (moderate, 5-6 hrs round trip, Tea House along the way)
Lake Louise gondola

Moraine Lake (30 min drive south from LL)
2023 Update: Access by personal vehicle to Morraine Lake is no longer allowed. The only options to get to Morraine Lake are by Canada Parks Shuttle, private Lake Morraine bussing companies, and maybe a private tour bus. Local Banff bus service (Roam) may also have a shuttle to Morraine in addition to their service to Lake Louise. Reservations for busses get booked up early, so plan at least 3-4 days ahead. [Parking is extremely limited, arrive very early or later in the day, road is closed when parking is full.]
Walk along lake
Canoe rentals sometimes available
Rockpile climb to great viewpoint

Athabasca Glacier Adventure (90 min drive from Lake Louise or Jasper)
Early arrival recommended (first tour is at 10:30am, book online in advance)
2 hour duration, bring bottle to drink glacier water
Wear layers, temperature is unpredictable
Skywalk is a tourist trap, you can skip it and stay on bus to return to parking lot

Icefields Parkway drive from Athabasca Glacier to Banff with scenic stops:
Parker Ridge trail 2-hour round-trip hike (medium difficulty, uphill climb)
Peyto Lake viewed from Bow Summit (cars must park in lower lot and walk 10 min, but later in the day the upper lot can be used)
Mistaya Canyon (beautiful pull-off hike along Icefields Pkwy. Hike is about 10 minutes down to a powerful river rushing through a canyon with waterfalls)
Bow Lake (quick pullout stop)

Jasper

Yoho National Park
Takakkaw Falls
Emerald Lake
Natural Bridge

Hotels:

Getting Around:
A car is basically a must, though there are shuttles from Banff to the major attractions.
The nearest commercial airport is Calgary (YYC), a 90 min drive from Banff.

Notes:

Author Topic: Banff and Jasper Master Thread  (Read 155724 times)

Offline RabbiGoldenberg

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Banff Master Thread
« Reply #360 on: August 09, 2016, 08:36:46 PM »
My tentative itinerary - not sure which direction I'll start. I put some places in parenthesis - they are not must, but only if there's time.

Arrive in Calgary

(Drumheller: Dinosaur Trail)

(Grassi Lakes, Canmore)

(Banff Gondola)

Bow Lake

Lake Minnewanka

(Johnston Canyon hike)

Lake Louise

(ski area Gondola)

Moraine Lake

(Yoho National Park: Wapta Fall and Takakkaw Falls)

Icefields Parkway

Crowfoot Glacier

Peyto lake

(Mistaya Canyon)

Saskatchewan River Crossing
Weeping Wall

Athabasca Glacier,
Columbia Icefield Centre

Sunwapta falls

Athabasca Falls

Mount Edith Cavell with Angel Glacier

the Jasper Tramway

(maligne canyon)

(Mount Robson)

(West edmonton Mall)

Depart Edmonton airport

How long should this take without optional stops in parenthesis? How long with?
Not doing any long hikes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
We did all that minus Yoho and a few stops in two days, including a stay overnight in Jasper and driving back. But we could have taken much longer. I recommend four.

Offline Galitzyaner

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 09, 2016, 10:25:57 PM »
We did all that minus Yoho and a few stops in two days, including a stay overnight in Jasper and driving back. But we could have taken much longer. I recommend four.
Thanks for your help!
I'm trying to pack in, without compromising on enjoying the scenery. I'm not one of those to stare at a waterfall for hours on end.
And like I wrote before, no big hikes (going with baby).

A) Do you think I can do all that with Yoho - on a Wed, Thurs, and part of Friday?

B) Are there any budget options to lodge overnight in or near Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper?
I'm referring to places similar to Holiday Inn Express or Staybridge Suites in the USA.
Simple, efficient (i.e. basic amenities like A/C, and clean rooms and beds), and inexpensive.
Does that exist?
(I know there's a HIE near Jasper, but they are over $200/night+, and no reward nights available (they were on the PointBreakers list)  >:( .

Offline cherylnlajolla

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 10, 2016, 01:18:01 PM »
We stayed in Canmore twice and loved it -- not as crowded as Banff & Lake Louise, nice grocery stores.  Stayed at Falcon Crest Lodge (full kitchen) and Best Western Pocaterra.  I got great deals for both on Orbiz (look for 15% off coupon).

Offline BKYW

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 10, 2016, 01:50:01 PM »
There is a best western in Banff, other decent budget hotels ok banff & jasper
AC is not a given, check before.  Even the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge does not have AC in the rooms

Offline RabbiGoldenberg

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 11, 2016, 03:02:45 PM »
Thanks for your help!
I'm trying to pack in, without compromising on enjoying the scenery. I'm not one of those to stare at a waterfall for hours on end.
And like I wrote before, no big hikes (going with baby).

A) Do you think I can do all that with Yoho - on a Wed, Thurs, and part of Friday?

B) Are there any budget options to lodge overnight in or near Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper?
I'm referring to places similar to Holiday Inn Express or Staybridge Suites in the USA.
Simple, efficient (i.e. basic amenities like A/C, and clean rooms and beds), and inexpensive.
Does that exist?
(I know there's a HIE near Jasper, but they are over $200/night+, and no reward nights available (they were on the PointBreakers list)  >:( .
Idk the summer setup as far as lodging, Jasper is cheaper than Banff, but there is often no availability in peak season. You may have to stay a bit north of Jasper. Three days is tight, but not if you don't plan on hiking. Expect baby to slow you down a bit and bring a backpack carrier.

Offline Mutty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #365 on: August 14, 2016, 07:19:31 PM »
I'm going air Canada from Newark to  toronto and then to calgary. On the way back ending in lga. My wife and I have a total of 4 free passes from united for the united club from the credit card. Is there a united club near the air Canada terminals that we'll be near?
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #366 on: August 17, 2016, 12:28:26 PM »
Important question: I'm getting my frozen meals from pomegranate. Here's what they're asking me. Is there an issue bringing the food from here to Canada packed this way or is it preferable to pack it that way?
Would you like us to pack your meals in an ice box with ice packs and wrap the box for airline?
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline BKYW

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 17, 2016, 04:54:39 PM »
Important question: I'm getting my frozen meals from pomegranate. Here's what they're asking me. Is there an issue bringing the food from here to Canada packed this way or is it preferable to pack it that way?
Would you like us to pack your meals in an ice box with ice packs and wrap the box for airline?

They get annoyed when they see cardboard boxes. Bring the meat in a gym bag and you won't have a problem.

Either way mark it as product of USA

Offline Traveler718

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 17, 2016, 05:00:19 PM »
I'll be visiting the Canadian Rockies for the first time in a couple of weeks. I'll be travelling alone and don't mind long days and long hikes, so I hope to cover a lot of ground. I'll be there for about 4.5-5 days, starting out Sunday morning after Shabbos in Calgary, and flying back Thursday night from YYC. Does the following rough itinerary make sense:

Sunday - Drive Icefields Parkway with sights and hikes along the way, stay Jasper
Monday - Sightsee and hike around Jasper, drive back to Lake Louise
Tuesday - Lake Louise and Moraine Lake hikes, stay Lake Louise
Wednesday - Yoho hikes, stay Canmore (points)
Thursday - Explore Banff and Canmore, fly back from YYC at night

Offline tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 18, 2016, 01:09:24 AM »
I'll be visiting the Canadian Rockies for the first time in a couple of weeks. I'll be travelling alone and don't mind long days and long hikes, so I hope to cover a lot of ground. I'll be there for about 4.5-5 days, starting out Sunday morning after Shabbos in Calgary, and flying back Thursday night from YYC. Does the following rough itinerary make sense:

Sunday - Drive Icefields Parkway with sights and hikes along the way, stay Jasper
Monday - Sightsee and hike around Jasper, drive back to Lake Louise
Tuesday - Lake Louise and Moraine Lake hikes, stay Lake Louise
Wednesday - Yoho hikes, stay Canmore (points)
Thursday - Explore Banff and Canmore, fly back from YYC at night
Why not fly out of YEG, this way you don't double over, where you have already been. Also If you are flying back to NYC area there are no direct evening flights from YYC.

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 19, 2016, 07:18:53 AM »
We are going iyh Sunday. 6am Newark to Toronto and then to Calgary arriving 12:30 so we don't lose the whole day. Pomogranate food.

Offline RabbiGoldenberg

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 24, 2016, 12:08:13 AM »
Why not fly out of YEG, this way you don't double over, where you have already been. Also If you are flying back to NYC area there are no direct evening flights from YYC.
I have heard the argument made that you can fly into Calgary and out of Edmonton. But it doesn't gain so much as far as sightseeing. The road from Jasper to Edmonton is about as far as the way to Lake Louise, and there is not much to see on the way to Edmonton, because you are leaving the mountains. This is probably why many prefer to skip a few attractions on the way to Jasper and hit them on the way back. And the view is different from the two directions of the icefields parkway.

Offline RabbiGoldenberg

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 24, 2016, 12:15:47 AM »
Yoho trip notes.

We went to Yoho yesterday with four children six and under. I have to say it was a great experience. The visitor's center has a playground and a small lake that children like to swim in, and there is a nice picnic area right there next to the famous Kicking Horse River. The park itself is relatively small, and many of the trails accomodate strollers. At this time of year, Lake Louise is mobbed, so we went with the less populated park. They have two red chair locations in the park, and both are pretty accessible. Yoho is all cliffs and waterfalls, and none of the other parks are quite like it. It made mewish I had a helicopter tour, to see those ice fields around the perimeter.

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 24, 2016, 11:35:23 AM »
So we finally arrived in Banff on Sunday and they lost our luggage. Just got it now and we are leaving tomorrow! Question. We have a late flight out of Calgary tomorrow night. Any place in Calgary to get a meal? By the way the fairmont in Banff and here in lake Louise are really great. Anyway,if anyone knows about dinner in Calgary. Thanks

Offline RabbiGoldenberg

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 25, 2016, 11:55:31 PM »
So we finally arrived in Banff on Sunday and they lost our luggage. Just got it now and we are leaving tomorrow! Question. We have a late flight out of Calgary tomorrow night. Any place in Calgary to get a meal? By the way the fairmont in Banff and here in lake Louise are really great. Anyway,if anyone knows about dinner in Calgary. Thanks
I'm sorry I didn't get your message in time. There is a kosher Milchig non Cholov Yisrael cafe called Karen's Cafe hosted in the JCC on 90th ave across from Glenmore Landing. They are not open late, but you can make it there for supper. If you were stuck, we probably could have had you over :-).

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #375 on: August 28, 2016, 07:13:33 PM »
I'm sorry I didn't get your message in time. There is a kosher Milchig non Cholov Yisrael cafe called Karen's Cafe hosted in the JCC on 90th ave across from Glenmore Landing. They are not open late, but you can make it there for supper. If you were stuck, we probably could have had you over :-).
Home already. I tried calling Karens numerous times with no answer. But thanks anyway.

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 28, 2016, 07:16:35 PM »
So besides the lost luggage and a lot of wasted (costly) time, we are finally back from our trip. Hard to describe the beauty. One thing for anyone going. I got this recommendation right before we left. There's an APP called the gypsy guide to the Canadian rockies. They have a number of modules. I went with the recommendation and paid 14.99 for all of it. Basically, while driving from one place to another it knows where you are and gives you history, ideas, what's at each turnoff, how long are the hikes, what to see, etc. It really a great thing to have. I had something similar many years ago when we went to San Fransisco on a three whelled car. The radio did it. Anyway, highly recommended.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #377 on: December 01, 2016, 01:44:02 PM »
All Canadian national parks will be free for 2017.

Get the pass here.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline blue eyes

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 26, 2016, 12:08:07 PM »
If i take  a flight from NYC - YEG with a stop in YYC,
will they make me collect my bags in YYC or will it go direct?
Id like to do a hidden city....

Offline tageed-lee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 73
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 26, 2016, 12:52:23 PM »
All Canadian national parks will be free for 2017.

Get the pass here.

Thanks!