Topic Wiki

List of TR's:

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:
The local supermarkets (e.g. Nesters or IGA in Banff) have many kosher shelf products.

There's frozen chicken and some meat products here, also a kosher aisle of dry foods: Safeway Glenmore Landing - 1600 90 Ave SW, Calgary, AB T2V 5A8, Canada

Synagogue:
None, though check GoDaven for temporary minyanim

Things to Do:

Download the GuideAlong app (formerly known as GyPSy Guide) and purchase the package for the Canadian Rockies Tours for $24.99. This self-paced guided audio tour covers Banff National Park, Lake Louise, Yoho National Park, Jasper National Park and more. It's an incredibly useful and informative app.

Banff
Johnston Canyon hike, Upper Falls recommended, 2 hr round trip.
Banff Gondola, take boardwalk (15 min, spread out stairs) to peak for amazing views
Mountain Biking - e.g. Tunnel Bench Loop (moderate, lots of fun with great views)
Bow Falls and Bow River
Lake Minnewanka and Two Jack Lake loop drive - boat cruise tour and speedboat rentals available

Lake Louise (45 min drive from Banff)
Shoreline trail walk
Canoe rentals
Lake Agnes teahouse hike (moderate, 2.5 hrs round-trip, can continue to Little Beehive or Big Beehive)
Plain of 6 Glaciers hike (moderate, 5-6 hrs round trip, Tea House along the way)
Lake Louise gondola

Moraine Lake (30 min drive south from LL)
2023 Update: Access by personal vehicle to Morraine Lake is no longer allowed. The only options to get to Morraine Lake are by Canada Parks Shuttle, private Lake Morraine bussing companies, and maybe a private tour bus. Local Banff bus service (Roam) may also have a shuttle to Morraine in addition to their service to Lake Louise. Reservations for busses get booked up early, so plan at least 3-4 days ahead. [Parking is extremely limited, arrive very early or later in the day, road is closed when parking is full.]
Walk along lake
Canoe rentals sometimes available
Rockpile climb to great viewpoint

Athabasca Glacier Adventure (90 min drive from Lake Louise or Jasper)
Early arrival recommended (first tour is at 10:30am, book online in advance)
2 hour duration, bring bottle to drink glacier water
Wear layers, temperature is unpredictable
Skywalk is a tourist trap, you can skip it and stay on bus to return to parking lot

Icefields Parkway drive from Athabasca Glacier to Banff with scenic stops:
Parker Ridge trail 2-hour round-trip hike (medium difficulty, uphill climb)
Peyto Lake viewed from Bow Summit (cars must park in lower lot and walk 10 min, but later in the day the upper lot can be used)
Mistaya Canyon (beautiful pull-off hike along Icefields Pkwy. Hike is about 10 minutes down to a powerful river rushing through a canyon with waterfalls)
Bow Lake (quick pullout stop)

Jasper

Yoho National Park
Takakkaw Falls
Emerald Lake
Natural Bridge

Hotels:

Getting Around:
A car is basically a must, though there are shuttles from Banff to the major attractions.
The nearest commercial airport is Calgary (YYC), a 90 min drive from Banff.

Notes:

Author Topic: Banff and Jasper Master Thread  (Read 155923 times)

Offline Specialized

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Banff and Jasper Master Thread
« Reply #580 on: June 25, 2018, 07:08:51 PM »
We never had a problem with passports that were soon to expire, but people recommend renewing when it gets close. US passport centers have an expedited service if you need it.

Offline jedderai

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: June 29, 2018, 09:42:16 PM »
Thanks!

Currently here and its beautiful.  Looking to stay an extra night at Fairmont Lake Louise if I can find a certificate.

Offline sam28

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 01, 2018, 05:54:40 PM »
Thanks!

Currently here and its beautiful.  Looking to stay an extra night at Fairmont Lake Louise if I can find a certificate.

how is the weather there now it looks bad ?

Offline jedderai

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: July 02, 2018, 01:37:13 PM »
Not summer but hasn't been bad.  Like 60 degrees.  Weather varies throughout the day based on location.  Not much rain if thats what you are asking.

Offline fkmk

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: July 05, 2018, 11:02:15 AM »
Any minyanim happening week of June 29th?

Offline Matzav26

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: July 05, 2018, 12:29:02 PM »
I'm assuming you mean July 29th, week after tisha b'av?

Offline fkmk

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 05, 2018, 01:01:54 PM »
yes, got my months wrong.

Offline jedderai

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 17, 2018, 12:47:14 PM »
Mini TR
June 28th-  Arrived into Calgary and drove up to Fairmont Banff Springs (about 1 hr).  Once checked in, we went horseback riding by the stables near the hotel.  We spotted a caribou on the bottom of the fairmont driveway just hanging out which was a nice surprise.  Later we walked to Banff Ave which was basically a bunch of restaurants and souvenir shops.  However, walking anywhere in Banff was beautiful with the amazing scenery.
June 29th- 
Morraine Lake: We were jetlagged so we woke up at about 5am and headed out to Morraine Lake.  No way to overhype the beautiful views and color of the lake. Much nicer than any pictures were able to capture.  We didn't know there was a trail up the rockpile so we climbed up which was fun.  Lot filled up by 7:30am so was great we were able to hang out before people started coming.   
Lake Louise: Lake Louise was beautiful as well (about 20 minutes from Morraine).  There were a lot more people around the area when we arrived at 815am.  However, we rented a canoe and it was a beautiful and very relaxing activity.  After the canoeing we headed back to the hotel Spa.
Johnstons Canyon: we headed to Johnstons Canyon at about 3:30pm.  Probably the most crowded hike in the Banff area that we did.  However, midway through the hike it was starting to clear.  Nice hike to the Upper falls.  I found the lower falls to be really nice as well because of the proximity to the waterfalls.  Really nice experience coming from someone that doesn't really hike much.  We didn't spot much wildlife but it was just a really nice walk.
June 30th-
Walked around the hotel area, spray river and bow falls in the afternoon.  We spotted like 7 elk which was nice.  Shabbat ended about 1105 so we had a nice amount of time to walk around the hotel area and enjoy the surrounding area.
July 1st-
Glaciers: Left to the Glaciers at about 7am and arrived at about 9.  We were able to catch the first snocoach to the glacier which was really nice because we had it all to ourselves.  Was a pretty unique experience.  I took everyones advice and skipped the skywalk which did not seem that appealing anyway when we passed by.
IP: We enjoyed the IP more on the way back since we wanted to make sure to get to the glacier as early as possible.  It was probably the nicest drive I ever experienced.  On the way back we stopped at Peyto and a couple other lakes.  Was amazing to experience such amazing views without much effort.  Truly a lifetime experience.  These glacier fed lakes never get old and look fake. 
July 2nd-
Went to Lake Minnewanka and walked around the trails and had lunch.  Then headed back to hotel and was able to spot more elk and another caribou on the way.

Offline ludmila

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #588 on: July 17, 2018, 01:53:02 PM »
Nice, thanks for the TR.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline Saulius

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 17, 2018, 02:16:16 PM »
It's a shame to see people going to Moraine Lake,  skip the best part to hike on to Consolation Lake, 3km each way flat along a stream.

Offline Specialized

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 17, 2018, 03:07:25 PM »
Sounds like an amazing trip. It's always good to hear trick to get to Moraine Lake for non-hikers. Just a little mention - if you happen to come into our shul, we have a printout of the attractions written up by one of the locals. It should help you know what to look for on your trip.

Offline sam28

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 17, 2018, 05:18:46 PM »
Sounds like an amazing trip. It's always good to hear trick to get to Moraine Lake for non-hikers. Just a little mention - if you happen to come into our shul, we have a printout of the attractions written up by one of the locals. It should help you know what to look for on your trip.

Where is u shul ? is there any way u can email it to me or put up on this site

Offline sam28

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 17, 2018, 05:19:45 PM »
Mini TR
June 28th-  Arrived into Calgary and drove up to Fairmont Banff Springs (about 1 hr).  Once checked in, we went horseback riding by the stables near the hotel.  We spotted a caribou on the bottom of the fairmont driveway just hanging out which was a nice surprise.  Later we walked to Banff Ave which was basically a bunch of restaurants and souvenir shops.  However, walking anywhere in Banff was beautiful with the amazing scenery.
June 29th- 
Morraine Lake: We were jetlagged so we woke up at about 5am and headed out to Morraine Lake.  No way to overhype the beautiful views and color of the lake. Much nicer than any pictures were able to capture.  We didn't know there was a trail up the rockpile so we climbed up which was fun.  Lot filled up by 7:30am so was great we were able to hang out before people started coming.   
Lake Louise: Lake Louise was beautiful as well (about 20 minutes from Morraine).  There were a lot more people around the area when we arrived at 815am.  However, we rented a canoe and it was a beautiful and very relaxing activity.  After the canoeing we headed back to the hotel Spa.
Johnstons Canyon: we headed to Johnstons Canyon at about 3:30pm.  Probably the most crowded hike in the Banff area that we did.  However, midway through the hike it was starting to clear.  Nice hike to the Upper falls.  I found the lower falls to be really nice as well because of the proximity to the waterfalls.  Really nice experience coming from someone that doesn't really hike much.  We didn't spot much wildlife but it was just a really nice walk.
June 30th-
Walked around the hotel area, spray river and bow falls in the afternoon.  We spotted like 7 elk which was nice.  Shabbat ended about 1105 so we had a nice amount of time to walk around the hotel area and enjoy the surrounding area.
July 1st-
Glaciers: Left to the Glaciers at about 7am and arrived at about 9.  We were able to catch the first snocoach to the glacier which was really nice because we had it all to ourselves.  Was a pretty unique experience.  I took everyones advice and skipped the skywalk which did not seem that appealing anyway when we passed by.
IP: We enjoyed the IP more on the way back since we wanted to make sure to get to the glacier as early as possible.  It was probably the nicest drive I ever experienced.  On the way back we stopped at Peyto and a couple other lakes.  Was amazing to experience such amazing views without much effort.  Truly a lifetime experience.  These glacier fed lakes never get old and look fake. 
July 2nd-
Went to Lake Minnewanka and walked around the trails and had lunch.  Then headed back to hotel and was able to spot more elk and another caribou on the way.

thanks for the write up is all u did doable with kids age 4 and 10 ? do u have any pic ?

Offline Specialized

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 18, 2018, 08:16:47 AM »
Where is u shul ? is there any way u can email it to me or put up on this site
It is called House of Jacob Mikveh Israel. Their website is hojmi.org.

Offline eandd

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 26, 2018, 01:28:22 PM »
Mini TR
June 29th- 
June 30th-
July 1st-
July 2nd-
Thank you for taking the time to write up, will be helpful for our trip in August! Any notable stops on the icefields parkways besides for Peyto lake?

Offline eandd

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 26, 2018, 01:31:26 PM »
For anyone whose spent shabbos in Calgary: any points hotels in walking distance from the shul (45min)? Does the shul take in shabbos early in August? Thanks!

Offline Saulius

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 26, 2018, 03:23:39 PM »
For anyone whose spent shabbos in Calgary: any points hotels in walking distance from the shul (45min)? Does the shul take in shabbos early in August? Thanks!

Yes, they take Shabbos early, Mincha was about two hours before sunset. I stayed in a hotel 45 minutes away. The walk wasn't so pedestrian friendly, extremely wide roads - and walking signals require a push button.

The hotel in Calgary confirmed with me that I would be able to use the stairs. Came back Friday night, and the access to the stairs was locked. Had to argue for a long time with the hotel staff, until they finally allowed me to use the stairs. Plus having to use electric tape on the door, so I can enter without a card.  Next time, I would rather stay in an airbnb.

Offline Specialized

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 27, 2018, 04:50:13 PM »
I just did an amazing activity around Banff, best to do after you've seen it and know the way around. Calgary Flying Club is the cheapest way to see Banff by air. Get a one hour flying lesson from Springbank airport on a clear day. You circle around Lake Mennewanka and come back. Anyone can do it. The instructor does the takeoff and landing, you just steer and control lift once at 8000 feet. You fly between the mountains. Two passengers are free. A family of six can have one parent fly each plane. Mornings are usually clearer than the afternoon. I did it and it was awesome.

Offline Specialized

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 27, 2018, 04:52:00 PM »
Yes, they take Shabbos early, Mincha was about two hours before sunset. I stayed in a hotel 45 minutes away. The walk wasn't so pedestrian friendly, extremely wide roads - and walking signals require a push button.

The hotel in Calgary confirmed with me that I would be able to use the stairs. Came back Friday night, and the access to the stairs was locked. Had to argue for a long time with the hotel staff, until they finally allowed me to use the stairs. Plus having to use electric tape on the door, so I can enter without a card.  Next time, I would rather stay in an airbnb.
Or you can stay with a local family for Shabbos.

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 27, 2018, 04:56:23 PM »
I just did an amazing activity around Banff, best to do after you've seen it and know the way around. Calgary Flying Club is the cheapest way to see Banff by air. Get a one hour flying lesson from Springbank airport on a clear day. You circle around Lake Mennewanka and come back. Anyone can do it. The instructor does the takeoff and landing, you just steer and control lift once at 8000 feet. You fly between the mountains. Two passengers are free. A family of six can have one parent fly each plane. Mornings are usually clearer than the afternoon. I did it and it was awesome.

Why not post the price in your post?

Book a 30 min flight for 94.50$ per person or 1h flight for 223.65$ for up to 3 people.