Topic Wiki

List of TR's:

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:
The local supermarkets (e.g. Nesters or IGA in Banff) have many kosher shelf products.

There's frozen chicken and some meat products here, also a kosher aisle of dry foods: Safeway Glenmore Landing - 1600 90 Ave SW, Calgary, AB T2V 5A8, Canada

Synagogue:
None, though check GoDaven for temporary minyanim

Things to Do:

Download the GuideAlong app (formerly known as GyPSy Guide) and purchase the package for the Canadian Rockies Tours for $24.99. This self-paced guided audio tour covers Banff National Park, Lake Louise, Yoho National Park, Jasper National Park and more. It's an incredibly useful and informative app.

Banff
Johnston Canyon hike, Upper Falls recommended, 2 hr round trip.
Banff Gondola, take boardwalk (15 min, spread out stairs) to peak for amazing views
Mountain Biking - e.g. Tunnel Bench Loop (moderate, lots of fun with great views)
Bow Falls and Bow River
Lake Minnewanka and Two Jack Lake loop drive - boat cruise tour and speedboat rentals available

Lake Louise (45 min drive from Banff)
Shoreline trail walk
Canoe rentals
Lake Agnes teahouse hike (moderate, 2.5 hrs round-trip, can continue to Little Beehive or Big Beehive)
Plain of 6 Glaciers hike (moderate, 5-6 hrs round trip, Tea House along the way)
Lake Louise gondola

Moraine Lake (30 min drive south from LL)
2023 Update: Access by personal vehicle to Morraine Lake is no longer allowed. The only options to get to Morraine Lake are by Canada Parks Shuttle, private Lake Morraine bussing companies, and maybe a private tour bus. Local Banff bus service (Roam) may also have a shuttle to Morraine in addition to their service to Lake Louise. Reservations for busses get booked up early, so plan at least 3-4 days ahead. [Parking is extremely limited, arrive very early or later in the day, road is closed when parking is full.]
Walk along lake
Canoe rentals sometimes available
Rockpile climb to great viewpoint

Athabasca Glacier Adventure (90 min drive from Lake Louise or Jasper)
Early arrival recommended (first tour is at 10:30am, book online in advance)
2 hour duration, bring bottle to drink glacier water
Wear layers, temperature is unpredictable
Skywalk is a tourist trap, you can skip it and stay on bus to return to parking lot

Icefields Parkway drive from Athabasca Glacier to Banff with scenic stops:
Parker Ridge trail 2-hour round-trip hike (medium difficulty, uphill climb)
Peyto Lake viewed from Bow Summit (cars must park in lower lot and walk 10 min, but later in the day the upper lot can be used)
Mistaya Canyon (beautiful pull-off hike along Icefields Pkwy. Hike is about 10 minutes down to a powerful river rushing through a canyon with waterfalls)
Bow Lake (quick pullout stop)

Jasper

Yoho National Park
Takakkaw Falls
Emerald Lake
Natural Bridge

Hotels:

Getting Around:
A car is basically a must, though there are shuttles from Banff to the major attractions.
The nearest commercial airport is Calgary (YYC), a 90 min drive from Banff.

Notes:

Author Topic: Banff and Jasper Master Thread  (Read 157532 times)

Offline Traveler718

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Banff and Jasper Master Thread
« Reply #640 on: May 21, 2019, 04:58:33 PM »
I may be in the minority, but Banff township was by far my least favorite area in the Canadian Rockies, and I also found Johnston Canyon (not Johnson) extremely crowded and overrated, but I'm also a fairly hard-core hiker.

Day 2 is a wonderful day and I wouldn't combine it with day 3 unless you're not planning to do any hikes at all. It should not take you anywhere near 80 minutes to get from LL to ML, but the earlier you go, the less traffic you'll have (narrow mountain roads with 1 lane in each direction).

1A largely parallels TCH, but is considered more scenic with better chance of wildlife sightings, but also a little slower than TCH. I didn't boat, so no help there. There are some beautiful waterfalls along the Icefields Parkway past Columbia Icefield that you may be able to get to if you get an early start. Do not waste your time or $ on the Skywalk. Absolute must-sees are Peyto Lake and Bow Lake.

You may also wish to go to Yoho NP in the area for Emerald Lake and Takakkaw Falls - all far better than Banff IMO.

Offline ar

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: May 21, 2019, 05:06:02 PM »
I may be in the minority, but Banff township was by far my least favorite area in the Canadian Rockies, and I also found Johnston Canyon (not Johnson) extremely crowded and overrated, but I'm also a fairly hard-core hiker.

Day 2 is a wonderful day and I wouldn't combine it with day 3 unless you're not planning to do any hikes at all. It should not take you anywhere near 80 minutes to get from LL to ML, but the earlier you go, the less traffic you'll have (narrow mountain roads with 1 lane in each direction).

1A largely parallels TCH, but is considered more scenic with better chance of wildlife sightings, but also a little slower than TCH. I didn't boat, so no help there. There are some beautiful waterfalls along the Icefields Parkway past Columbia Icefield that you may be able to get to if you get an early start. Do not waste your time or $ on the Skywalk. Absolute must-sees are Peyto Lake and Bow Lake.

You may also wish to go to Yoho NP in the area for Emerald Lake and Takakkaw Falls - all far better than Banff IMO.

Thanks so much for the info! So maybe I should skip the Glacier adventure since its wasting a full day and do one of the other lakes instead? Or can should I combine the Glaciers with something else?

Offline aarony

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: May 21, 2019, 05:06:55 PM »
1)it’s worth the trip just to see the Icefield parkway. you don’t have to Do the bus onto the glacier. You can walk up to an area close to the Glacier on your own.    There are many beautiful places to stop along the parkway.  You should get the gypsy app.  Do not combine this day with anything else it takes time to drive to Parkway and make stops.   

2)It is not that far from Lake Louise.    They are very close to each other.  Parking at Morraine can be difficult so do your research

3)I don’t remember,  one of them is faster and that is the one I would recommend
4)Both lakes are beautiful for boating I did Lake Louise at sunrise and really enjoyed that. Prices are steep

5) don’t try to do everything it is impossible!  If you drive the icefield parkway make sure you stop at Peyto lake.

Offline ar

• View Profile
« Reply #643 on: May 21, 2019, 05:10:55 PM »
Got it!

So I guess I'll do the Glaciers and enjoy the drive.. and stop by one of the lakes on the way..

Thanks for all your help, will report back after the trip!

Offline Traveler718

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: May 22, 2019, 11:05:36 AM »
Bow Lake is directly on the road, Peyto is a pull-out plus a 5-10 minute short walk to the lake, but is the most beautiful sight on the road - do not miss! But they're not full-day activities; you spend 10-20 minutes taking pics at each and then move on. I didn't do the drive out onto the glacier because I thought it was too commercialized, and I had done actually walking on glaciers in Alaska.

I got great views overlooking the glacier (and the buses driving onto it) from a hike in the area, but I believe you can also see it just from the parking area where you sign up for the buses. Depending on what time it is when you get there, you can decide if you have time to continue before turning around. Another vote for the Gypsy app - I almost never pay $ for apps, but it was wonderful and greatly enhanced the experience!

Offline ar

• View Profile
« Reply #645 on: May 22, 2019, 11:45:10 AM »
Bow Lake is directly on the road, Peyto is a pull-out plus a 5-10 minute short walk to the lake, but is the most beautiful sight on the road - do not miss! But they're not full-day activities; you spend 10-20 minutes taking pics at each and then move on. I didn't do the drive out onto the glacier because I thought it was too commercialized, and I had done actually walking on glaciers in Alaska.

I got great views overlooking the glacier (and the buses driving onto it) from a hike in the area, but I believe you can also see it just from the parking area where you sign up for the buses. Depending on what time it is when you get there, you can decide if you have time to continue before turning around. Another vote for the Gypsy app - I almost never pay $ for apps, but it was wonderful and greatly enhanced the experience!

Cool - thanks!

Offline KSMH

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: June 25, 2019, 12:14:59 AM »
Flying from YYC - YVR, is it worth making a stop in YEG (YYC-YEG-YVR) to check out West Edmonton Mall?

If yes how long does the actual stop need to be to enough time getting out of the airport spending 1 - 2 HR at mall and getting back?
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline Specialized

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: July 01, 2019, 02:49:02 PM »
Flying from YYC - YVR, is it worth making a stop in YEG (YYC-YEG-YVR) to check out West Edmonton Mall?

If yes how long does the actual stop need to be to enough time getting out of the airport spending 1 - 2 HR at mall and getting back?
The airport is at the outskirts of Edmonton and the mall is at least a half hour in. Summer is construction season, so you need to plan for the unexpected. Watch for speed cameras, tickets can be pretty expensive.

Offline Specialized

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
A Few Pointers
« Reply #648 on: July 02, 2019, 06:59:40 PM »
1. Since weather and visibility are unpredictable, plan a few places in each locale that are localized views rather than expansive views, for a rainy day. For example, a waterfall can be seen very well on a foggy day, but you won't see the mountains - don't take the gondola that day.
2. If you like quieter spots, check out Canmore and Kananaskis. The locals go there often, but they are not as world famous as an attraction. The hiking trails are just as  breathtaking, though. You can use these as an option for a Friday trip when staying in Calgary for Shabbos.
3. If you are coming this week, check out the Calgary Stampede. It runs from this Friday to July 14. The whole city gets in on it, and there are marching bands, rodeos every day, fireworks every night, and carnival style attractions.

Offline Specialized

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: July 03, 2019, 12:10:17 AM »
Another awesome local thing to do (when possible) is to visit Spruce Meadows in Calgary. They primarily host horse jumping competitions, but the big ones come with their own attractions. For example, this Sunday on July 7th (after the Shul's free Stampede Breakfast) you can watch numerous outdoor band performances, BMX riders on a halfpipe, and 100 soldiers firing rifles into the air in succession. If you happen to be stuck in Calgary due to visibility, weather, or some other complication, or if you already saw the mountains and your flight is later in the day, this is the place to go.

Offline tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: July 03, 2019, 09:14:58 AM »

Mall is nothing major, not worth extra stop IMO.

Offline pghtown

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: July 03, 2019, 09:21:37 AM »
Arriving in Calgary later Friday afternoon. What options are there for prepared Shabbos food? Can we order in advance for pick up or delivery?  Thanks in advance.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Offline Specialized

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: July 03, 2019, 07:43:36 PM »
Arriving in Calgary later Friday afternoon. What options are there for prepared Shabbos food? Can we order in advance for pick up or delivery?  Thanks in advance.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
There is no such place in Calgary. You can try emailing Marina for Shabbos hosts.

Offline Specialized

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: July 03, 2019, 07:48:56 PM »
There is no such place in Calgary. You can try emailing Marina for Shabbos hosts.
Also important to know, the Shul makes early Shabbos during the summer, Mincha is usually 7:30 PM.

Offline pghtown

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: July 03, 2019, 08:22:13 PM »
Thanks for the response. I see online that Sobey's has the biggest selection of kosher foods. But no prepared meats/chicken etc?

Offline Specialized

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: July 03, 2019, 08:37:01 PM »
Thanks for the response. I see online that Sobey's has the biggest selection of kosher foods. But no prepared meats/chicken etc?
Not really. They have chicken nuggets, salami, yogurt, etc. Raw meats are frozen.

Offline thnkngboutu2002

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: July 03, 2019, 11:28:32 PM »
anyone traveling to the area over shabbos august 17th that we can arrange a minyan together? any ideas where to stay over shabbos besides at someones house? thanks!

Offline thnkngboutu2002

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: July 09, 2019, 12:14:00 AM »
Anyone know if costco in Edmonton or Calgary sells kosher food? Thank You!

Offline Specialized

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: July 09, 2019, 12:23:23 AM »
Anyone know if costco in Edmonton or Calgary sells kosher food? Thank You!
Costco in Calgary sells Kosher bagels (not Pas Yisrael) in boxes of 6.5 dozen for 29 dollars. We usually split it up, we Whatsapp  group mesg out-who needs? They sell bulk Bothwell cheese, which is Kosher. Meats are not Kosher, packaged foods are the same as anywhere else - some Kosher, some not.

Offline thnkngboutu2002

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: July 09, 2019, 12:30:05 AM »
Costco in Calgary sells Kosher bagels (not Pas Yisrael) in boxes of 6.5 dozen for 29 dollars. We usually split it up, we Whatsapp  group mesg out-who needs? They sell bulk Bothwell cheese, which is Kosher. Meats are not Kosher, packaged foods are the same as anywhere else - some Kosher, some not.

Thank You! What about meal-mart cold cuts. Do they carry stuff like that?