Author Topic: Which Hilton Hhonors card to get? Big Hilton Purchase coming!  (Read 20115 times)

Offline Chapshnell

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Skypesos, AA Shilling, AS Pounds.
Re: Which Hilton Hhonors card to get? Big Hilton Purchase coming!
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2015, 06:59:41 PM »
never did the churn before. hate to hit my credit score. Prefer the CSP for long term use. So maybe that (for personal) and an IP Business card. Can you transfer IP UR rewards from a business account to your personal UA points?

it will be 2 pulls, why not apply for 2 business cards & 1 pull.. this isn't churning...
you can transfer UR to any UA acct

Offline Shimby

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2015, 07:03:30 PM »
prefer CSP personal and IP business, since i will use CSP long term. how many points knock down for a credit pull?  I pay all my bills in full on time and never carry a balance, can i assume i will get back to 850 quickly?

Offline Chapshnell

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Skypesos, AA Shilling, AS Pounds.
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2015, 07:04:45 PM »
prefer CSP personal and IP business, since i will use CSP long term. how many points knock down for a credit pull?  I pay all my bills in full on time and never carry a balance, can i assume i will get back to 850 quickly?

after a few months? why not... its a temp dip until it goes back up..

Offline Mendelssohn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2015, 07:05:27 PM »
never did the churn before. hate to hit my credit score. Prefer the CSP for long term use. So maybe that (for personal) and an IP Business card. Can you transfer IP UR rewards from a business account to your personal UA points?

Yes, you can transfer with either card, and you can move points between UR cards.

Offline Shimby

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2015, 07:18:51 PM »
I have a chase slate account, I never use it, I simply have it open as an overdraft line of credit for checking. Can I change cards from Slate to CSP without a credit pull, and if so, by transferring to a CSP  it is the same as opening a new account to get the bonus?

Offline Mendelssohn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2015, 07:20:27 PM »
I have a chase slate account, I never use it, I simply have it open as an overdraft line of credit for checking. Can I change cards from Slate to CSP without a credit pull, and if so, by transferring to a CSP  it is the same as opening a new account to get the bonus?

You won't get the bonus.

You should try doing a PC from the Slate to a Freedom to earn more points.

Offline Shimby

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2015, 07:21:46 PM »
no point in doing that, i dont use the slate ever. its for overdraft on checking purposes. I wouldnt use the freedom card either.

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2015, 07:22:01 PM »
Thanks Marco.  I already put in my contract with Hilton my HHonors No. to be listed on every room. I didnt sign up for HHonors yet since i am looking to see if there is any sign up bonus. Any out there? Once signed up, I will sign up for every promo available.

I am leaning towards the CSP card over the Hilton Surpass since I think i will get more use out of that card for general travel purposes. I want free cruises!!! I also have the SPG Amex as my primary card with over 100K points and try to exclusively stay at starwood properties (so the Hilton Surpass becomes even less needed). Also, I will get some points being an HHonors member. The only other consideration would be to now upgrade my Chase United Explorer to the Chase United Club card (fee waived first year) and charge everything to that card for the extra miles (I try to go United exclusively too). I can always downgrade to the explorer once the year is up to avoid the annual fee of $200+. 

What do you all think?

If you just want cruises then getting any Hilton Card isn't worth it but if you do want one you might be better off with the Citi Reserve that only gives 10ppd but has a huge two night sign-up bonus, if you use it at the Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem, is worth $8-1200.  I book a ton of meetings with Hiltons and use the points for hotel stays and figure for each room dollar I spend (not on the event but for the sleeping rooms) you can get 30-50% back in HHonors points, depending on their promos and if you redeem them properly.  Because of the current triple points offer, for a $170 room night this weekend, I got almost 8000 HHonors points, which I will redeem at a hotel like the WA Jerusalem or Conrad Maldives for about .01 pp meaning on that $170 room expenditure I will get $80 back.   If your number is on all 25 sleeping rooms you should get lets say minimum 100k HHonors points (but possibly way more) from that. 

So maybe figure out some awesome locations with a HHonors hotels you want to go and the points needed (320k for 5 nights at WA Jerusalem), get the HHonors Citi reserve that only gives 10ppd but will give you 2 free nights (so you'll lose 20k points if you use the Citi Reserve vs. Surpass if you spend 10k but again a much better bonus than the Amex).  For that relatively small 10k spend, you will be better to lose those 2 ppd from the Amex and get the Citi Card with the 2 Free nights.

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2015, 07:23:55 PM »
You have a perfect credit score, aren't getting a mortgage soon, and don't apply for cards often. Why do you care about two pulls? Three ink plus has the AF waived in branch, iinm, and the csp is free the first year. What about crediting the actual stay to united?
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline Shimby

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2015, 07:27:36 PM »
If i would credit the stay to united then i would upgrade the explorer to the united club. I think the $400+ fee is waived first year and you get 1.5 ppd instead of 1 ppd. I would then downgrade after a year to avoid the annual fee.

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2015, 07:30:12 PM »
Yes, you can transfer. Churning is getting a card multiple times for the bonus, you're only getting it once. (I would suggest throwing in a freedom for another 22.5k UR and no additional credit pull, assuming the bonus goes up in the next three months, but  that's just a nice add on.)
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2015, 07:31:37 PM »
If i would credit the stay to united then i would upgrade the explorer to the united club. I think the $400+ fee is waived first year and you get 1.5 ppd instead of 1 ppd. I would then downgrade after a year to avoid the annual fee.
Not spending the money on the united card; getting points from the money spent at Hilton, regardless of which card you use. (BTW, the fee isn't officially waived the first year.) I think you can get an additional 10k united miles, in addition to 125k (or 147k with the freedom) UR from the spend.
JTZ

Offline Shimby

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2015, 07:31:53 PM »
If you just want cruises then getting any Hilton Card isn't worth it but if you do want one you might be better off with the Citi Reserve that only gives 10ppd but has a huge two night sign-up bonus, if you use it at the Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem, is worth $8-1200.  I book a ton of meetings with Hiltons and use the points for hotel stays and figure for each room dollar I spend (not on the event but for the sleeping rooms) you can get 30-50% back in HHonors points, depending on their promos and if you redeem them properly.  Because of the current triple points offer, for a $170 room night this weekend, I got almost 8000 HHonors points, which I will redeem at a hotel like the WA Jerusalem or Conrad Maldives for about .01 pp meaning on that $170 room expenditure I will get $80 back.   If your number is on all 25 sleeping rooms you should get lets say minimum 100k HHonors points (but possibly way more) from that. 

So maybe figure out some awesome locations with a HHonors hotels you want to go and the points needed (320k for 5 nights at WA Jerusalem), get the HHonors Citi reserve that only gives 10ppd but will give you 2 free nights (so you'll lose 20k points if you use the Citi Reserve vs. Surpass if you spend 10k but again a much better bonus than the Amex).  For that relatively small 10k spend, you will be better to lose those 2 ppd from the Amex and get the Citi Card with the 2 Free nights.

I hate having points all over the place and not having enough to actually use them. For instance I have 23K AA miles but not enough  for a flight. They just sit there and i make a transaction on my Citi AA card every so often so they dont expire. I have over 100K SPG points and currently use my SPG Amex as my primary card. Generally stay in only Starwood hotels. I havent paid for a hotel in 15 years. I have 200K UA points and have enough to actually use them so i would prefer to accumulate those. If i get the CSP and IP i would then transfer the UR points to UA or leave them to accumulate for cruises.

Offline yakrot

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2015, 07:39:50 PM »
I hate having points all over the place and not having enough to actually use them. For instance I have 23K AA miles but not enough  for a flight. They just sit there and i make a transaction on my Citi AA card every so often so they dont expire. I have over 100K SPG points and currently use my SPG Amex as my primary card. Generally stay in only Starwood hotels. I havent paid for a hotel in 15 years. I have 200K UA points and have enough to actually use them so i would prefer to accumulate those. If i get the CSP and IP i would then transfer the UR points to UA or leave them to accumulate for cruises.
I've read through this whole thread and based on everything you said I agree that this is your best option. Good luck, and Mazel tov!

Offline Shimby

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2015, 07:40:17 PM »
Not spending the money on the united card; getting points from the money spent at Hilton, regardless of which card you use. (BTW, the fee isn't officially waived the first year.) I think you can get an additional 10k united miles, in addition to 125k (or 147k with the freedom) UR from the spend.

If i cant get the fee waived then united club is not a solution. You said "I think you can get an additional 10k united miles, in addition to 125k (or 147k with the freedom) UR from the spend".

How?

Like the idea of CSP personal and Ink Plus business.

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2015, 07:41:24 PM »
If i cant get the fee waived then united club is not a solution. You said "I think you can get an additional 10k united miles, in addition to 125k (or 147k with the freedom) UR from the spend".

How?

Like the idea of CSP personal and Ink Plus business.
You get points from the stay itself, not just from the credit card.
ETA: i made a mistake. I didn't realize that you get 10ppd in Hilton points. You're definitely better off doing that. Have someone add you as a platinum AU so you'll get Hilton gold, which gives you a 25% point bonus, so you'll get 125k points from the stay.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 07:52:36 PM by David Smith »
JTZ

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2015, 07:41:48 PM »

Totally makes sense.  Hopefully you'll get 1-300,000k HHonors points though just from those sleeping room nights even without Hilton CC and those definitely aren't worth transferring, so you'll still have more free room nights, if you do search around and find some aspirational place you want to go to or stay then you could get the Citi card to top up the account and get two more nights to add.  Enjoy the simcha!

Offline Shimby

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2015, 07:42:16 PM »
I've read through this whole thread and based on everything you said I agree that this is your best option. Good luck, and Mazel tov!

Thanks Yakrot! You are invited to the B-Mitzvah as long as you pay for your room and use MY HHonors number  ;D

Offline Shimby

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2015, 07:46:46 PM »
You get points from the stay itself, not just from the credit card.

The hotel said i could get hhonors points not only for the rooms but for the ballroom rental for two days. Not sure how that part accumulates points, but bonus!

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2015, 07:57:35 PM »
The hotel said i could get hhonors points not only for the rooms but for the ballroom rental for two days. Not sure how that part accumulates points, but bonus!
I think you may be able to get automatic Hilton diamond from this stay, but I'm not sure. Anyone know?
JTZ