Author Topic: gift card, amex offer, fraud  (Read 2309 times)

Offline bookwrm

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
gift card, amex offer, fraud
« on: October 30, 2015, 03:07:50 PM »
I'm not sure where to post this, so i'll just put it here.

So, during the sams club offer i bought a bunch of gift cards. most ended up being used, but i had four left on my loaded onto my walmart account (was waiting for my new baby to be born to use the rest of the funds). well, on oct 17 i received an e-mail saying that my walmart info was updated. being that it was shabbos i didn't pay attention and planned on looking into the issue a little later. the next day my daughter was born and needless to say i've been a bit busy. fast forward to today, my spouse went to walmart to buy some items for the baby. while trying to check out, it was revealed that the gift card had a $0 balance. finding this fishy i went to log into my walmat account to see what was going on. login didn't work. when i went to reset my password it said that my e-mail didn't exist. i called walmart and a long story short, someone used ALL of my funds to purchase e-gift cards, walmart said there is nothing they can do because it was e-gift cards and now i'm out the money. their only recommendation was to file a police report and dispute the charge with the bank.

my question is this, because these gift cards were purchased using an amex offer, and i was credited for the purchase (in total i paid $30 for the remaining gift cards) is there anything amex can do for me or am i just out that money? ugh this is so upsetting :( 
any advice would be appreciated

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: gift card, amex offer, fraud
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 03:10:29 PM »

So, during the sams club offer i bought a bunch of gift cards. most ended up being used, but i had four left on my loaded onto my walmart account (was waiting for my new baby to be born to use the rest of the funds). well, on oct 17 i received an e-mail saying that my walmart info was updated. being that it was shabbos i didn't pay attention and planned on looking into the issue a little later. the next day my daughter was born and needless to say i've been a bit busy. fast forward to today, my spouse went to walmart to buy some items for the baby. while trying to check out, it was revealed that the gift card had a $0 balance. finding this fishy i went to log into my walmat account to see what was going on. login didn't work. when i went to reset my password it said that my e-mail didn't exist. i called walmart and a long story short, someone used ALL of my funds to purchase e-gift cards, walmart said there is nothing they can do because it was e-gift cards and now i'm out the money. their only recommendation was to file a police report and dispute the charge with the bank.

my question is this, because these gift cards were purchased using an amex offer, and i was credited for the purchase (in total i paid $30 for the remaining gift cards) is there anything amex can do for me or am i just out that money? ugh this is so upsetting :( 
Mazal Tov on the baby, my condolences on the fraud. I don't really have any advice other than 20/20 hindsight once again proves that kids are nothing but trouble!
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline sharkky

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 03:15:40 PM »
Mazal Tov on the baby, my condolences on the fraud. I don't really have any advice other than 20/20 hindsight once again proves that kids are nothing but trouble!
i doubt that was the type of empathy (or advice) he wants

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 03:16:24 PM »
i doubt that was the type of empathy (or advice) he wants
Great point literal jim!
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline Square

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 03:38:30 PM »
I would've  tried  again walmart, it's there fault that they alow to use a gift card without the pin after a change to the account.

Offline bookwrm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 03:44:51 PM »
I would've  tried  again walmart, it's there fault that they alow to use a gift card without the pin after a change to the account.

I did, and they said the same thing. Even got transferred to "corporate" who said there was nothing they can do. When asked for their manager the rep claims that the manger won't be in until Monday. This is such bs though. Ridiculous how the consumer is not protected :(

Offline sillypainter

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 03:57:55 PM »

Sorry for going OT, but how do you get your emails on Shabbos, is it with the new shabbos app?

Offline bookwrm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 04:04:25 PM »
Sorry for going OT, but how do you get your emails on Shabbos, is it with the new shabbos app?

It arrived shabbos morning and I checked my email motzei shabbos......