Author Topic: Maps feature: More walking  (Read 1027 times)

Offline JuryDuty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
Maps feature: More walking
« on: August 15, 2021, 07:26:25 PM »
Is there a feature in Google maps or similar app/website that can search a route with more walking? Google maps has an option for less walking.

For example, if there's 2 options, one with two subway trains and one with one, but a little bit more walking, it would show you the one that has less transfers and more walking. As it is now, it often doesn't even suggest the second route.

This would be useful to people if they want to stay active and want to reduce the number of trains and transfers.
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Maps feature: More walking
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 07:59:39 PM »
You have:
- Best route (read: fastest)
- Fewer transfers (kinda like asking for just only layover even if it’s longer and you get in later)
- Less walking (for someone who can’t walk far distances, hot days, etc).

The first one is optimized for speed. Most walking would be to walk the entire way. What’s the universal sweet spot for more walking? How much speed/time would anyone choosing that option be willing to sacrifice? My guess is it varies widely, even for the same person depending on where they’re going, whether they have to be on time, how tight their schedule is, etc.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline biobook

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 08:04:04 PM »
Sometimes if you drag the destination a bit another route may pop up.

You could just get off the subway a few stops earlier.

If you're in NYC, try the MTA trip planner.  IDK if there's an app, but the website has a setting for "walk no more than..." and you can change it from 1/4 mile to 1 mile to get options with more walking. It's more cumbersome to use than Google Maps.
http://tripplanner.mta.info/MyTrip/ui_web/customplanner/TripPlanner.aspx

One of the nice features of the MTA site is that you can search for Accessible route, which is useful of course for wheelchair users, but also if you're dragging a suitcase or twisted your ankle or just don't feel like going up and down stairs.

Offline JuryDuty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 08:07:09 PM »
You have:
- Best route (read: fastest)
- Fewer transfers (kinda like asking for just only layover even if it’s longer and you get in later)
- Less walking (for someone who can’t walk far distances, hot days, etc).

The first one is optimized for speed. Most walking would be to walk the entire way. What’s the universal sweet spot for more walking? How much speed/time would anyone choosing that option be willing to sacrifice? My guess is it varies widely, even for the same person depending on where they’re going, whether they have to be on time, how tight their schedule is, etc.

I'm experimenting with the fewer transfers option, but doesn't seem to work great. It gave me 3 subway options, and not a 4th which would save a few minutes by walking an extra 2
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline JuryDuty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 08:10:03 PM »
I'm experimenting with the fewer transfers option, but doesn't seem to work great. It gave me 3 subway options, and not a 4th which would save a few minutes by walking an extra 2

They actually totally messed it up. They had an option that made me go too far on the train and then walk even further. It's clearly not optimized for people who want to get there the quickest and aren't afraid to walk

Offline JuryDuty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 09:20:54 PM »
Sometimes if you drag the destination a bit another route may pop up.

You could just get off the subway a few stops earlier.

If you're in NYC, try the MTA trip planner.  IDK if there's an app, but the website has a setting for "walk no more than..." and you can change it from 1/4 mile to 1 mile to get options with more walking. It's more cumbersome to use than Google Maps.
http://tripplanner.mta.info/MyTrip/ui_web/customplanner/TripPlanner.aspx

One of the nice features of the MTA site is that you can search for Accessible route, which is useful of course for wheelchair users, but also if you're dragging a suitcase or twisted your ankle or just don't feel like going up and down stairs.

The mta site managed to find the best route I had manually planned out

Offline JuryDuty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 09:23:51 PM »
The mta site managed to find the best route I had manually planned out

What's amazing is that it had THREE routes quicker than Google maps

Offline biobook

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 09:29:19 PM »
What's amazing is that it had THREE routes quicker than Google maps
Also a walker, and when I was in NYC I would use both of them.  Neither was consistently better. Sometimes one would be more up to date with closures, eg on weekends.  I think it was the MTA, but not sure.  Long time since I've been to NY. :(