Author Topic: Can it be used on shabbos?  (Read 3298 times)

Offline akivak

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Can it be used on shabbos?
« on: November 02, 2015, 01:18:30 PM »
Recently there was a deal posted for a Whirlpool Stainless Steel Water Cooler model 7LIECH-SSF-WL from walmart.com , it says it has piano key buttons, does that mean that the buttons use an electronic pump, making it a problem for shabbos, or is it just a fancy version of the old dispenser lever?

Offline akivak

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Can it be used on shabbos?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 01:19:57 PM »
Did someone purchase it then, or have one in their house/office

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 08:42:29 AM »
Recently there was a deal posted for a Whirlpool Stainless Steel Water Cooler model 7LIECH-SSF-WL from walmart.com , it says it has piano key buttons, does that mean that the buttons use an electronic pump, making it a problem for shabbos, or is it just a fancy version of the old dispenser lever?
My research indicates that any water cooler that is not top loading has an electric pump and most that have buttons other than the standard levers are problematic on shabbos. I jumped through hoops trying to find the lever style. Called the OU and Star K. If the Water bottle is on the bottom it must, by definition, use a pump to get the water up to the spout. If its on top then you have to see if its gravity or a pump that gets the water to the spout. 
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline akivak

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 09:13:57 AM »
Thanks, I just got through to the company (by the way its some company in china, whirlpool dosnt make water coolers) I asked them if I pull out the plug will the water still flow regular, they said its just a more modern valve and theres no pump