Author Topic: Amtrak trip up the west coast  (Read 1622 times)

Offline Buruch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Amtrak trip up the west coast
« on: November 19, 2015, 11:44:35 PM »
I'm not good at writing TRs, but I can answer questions, and share some thoughts. Being that the system is changing, I decided to get a trip in.
I took the Coast Starlight from Lax to Sea (stayed overnight), then Cascades to Vancouver. I also went to whistler, if anyone has questions, but I did not go via rail. Overall, it was more relaxing than expected, being that you can really walk around. Although, if you get bad cabin fever, it's obviously gonna be a bit rough. You need to have the mindset that the train ride itself is the trip and not the destination - kinda like Hana, because otherwise the length of it may make you go bonkers. I didn't get the tired feeling like I do when flying (though I've yet to fly J or F), except the hiccup on the way back. On the return, I booked Cascades to SEA, then a flight back to LA, but we had to switch to a bus on the way (Mt. Vernon) because the tracks were covered with water. That was a bit stressful - give yourself plenty of time for Amtrak mess ups. Btw, on the CS ride, the car next to us caught fire while we were in S. Barbara,  but it only delayed the route by 1.5 hours. The food is ok when it's hot - make sure they keep it in extra long, and inedible when not. You share a table with others if you eat in the dining ca . And have a party of fewer than 4 ( you can eat in your room if you want), so it's interesting to meet new people - mostly on the northern side of 50. Overall it was a great experience to try once or twice. The scenery (at this time of year) is incredible, and it varies greatly along the route. Some of it is sun and ocean; some of it fall colors and rivers; and some is snow-covered mountains and trees. The beds in the 1br suites are spacious and pretty decent for a train, but it's still a train. I went to sleep just after nightfall and got up before sunrise to maximize my ability to see as much as possible. And we brought our 1 year old along :)

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
Re: Amtrak trip up the west coast
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 06:57:17 AM »
Cool, please post some pictures if you got.

Offline googwallet

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Amtrak trip up the west coast
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 08:10:07 AM »
I'm not good at writing TRs, but I can answer questions, and share some thoughts. Being that the system is changing, I decided to get a trip in.
I took the Coast Starlight from Lax to Sea (stayed overnight), then Cascades to Vancouver. I also went to whistler, if anyone has questions, but I did not go via rail. Overall, it was more relaxing than expected, being that you can really walk around. Although, if you get bad cabin fever, it's obviously gonna be a bit rough. You need to have the mindset that the train ride itself is the trip and not the destination - kinda like Hana, because otherwise the length of it may make you go bonkers. I didn't get the tired feeling like I do when flying (though I've yet to fly J or F), except the hiccup on the way back. On the return, I booked Cascades to SEA, then a flight back to LA, but we had to switch to a bus on the way (Mt. Vernon) because the tracks were covered with water. That was a bit stressful - give yourself plenty of time for Amtrak mess ups. Btw, on the CS ride, the car next to us caught fire while we were in S. Barbara,  but it only delayed the route by 1.5 hours. The food is ok when it's hot - make sure they keep it in extra long, and inedible when not. You share a table with others if you eat in the dining ca . And have a party of fewer than 4 ( you can eat in your room if you want), so it's interesting to meet new people - mostly on the northern side of 50. Overall it was a great experience to try once or twice. The scenery (at this time of year) is incredible, and it varies greatly along the route. Some of it is sun and ocean; some of it fall colors and rivers; and some is snow-covered mountains and trees. The beds in the 1br suites are spacious and pretty decent for a train, but it's still a train. I went to sleep just after nightfall and got up before sunrise to maximize my ability to see as much as possible. And we brought our 1 year old along :)
Thanks for sharing. I like this type of trip!