Author Topic: Yehudi>Medaber>Chai>Tzomeach>Domem?  (Read 42447 times)

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The funny/strange/interesting/random pictures thread
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2015, 07:38:56 PM »
So it is not teaching them they are better than non-Jews?
Some people in the word are in ways "better" than others. Through hard work and growing closer to gd.

Think better as in a caring good Doctor is "better" than a terrorist.

Offline Aaaron

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2015, 07:39:07 PM »
I might be wrong but I grew up OOT and I nor any of my friends ever felt that way. I think it is a Brooklyn-type school setting that had that problem. Even in my sons school in 5t,  the principal regularly speaks to the kids (and parents) about how we must treat everybody, especially the secular teachers, janitors, kitchen staff, etc. with upmost respect and has very little tolerance for kids who don't. Kids are taught that they should say good morning, thank you, etc. to everybody, even passing people on the street.
In regards to that we are chosen, higher, or whatever term you want to use, we (me, my siblings, classmates) were always taught that it means that we are held to higher standards. While 'others' might use vulgar speech, dress inappropriately, be disrespectful and so on, since we are Yidden, we don't do those stuff, speak that way, etc. It is in no way to put other people down, just to reinforce that more is expected from us.

I wish that was the norm, but alas, I don't believe it is.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Oh, and just being Jewish is no virtue. Judaism is a religion. An irreligious jew is treated in many instances exactly like a non jew.

Unlike other Jews, the Orthodox actually have a good reason to be proud of their Jewish accomplishments.

I don't follow.  Are Orthodox Jews automatically on this higher level that you speak of?

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2015, 07:39:24 PM »
I might be wrong but I grew up OOT and I nor any of my friends ever felt that way. I think it is a Brooklyn-type school setting that had that problem. Even in my sons school in 5t,  the principal regularly speaks to the kids (and parents) about how we must treat everybody, especially the secular teachers, janitors, kitchen staff, etc. with upmost respect and has very little tolerance for kids who don't. Kids are taught that they should say good morning, thank you, etc. to everybody, even passing people on the street.
In regards to that we are chosen, higher, or whatever term you want to use, we (me, my siblings, classmates) were always taught that it means that we are held to higher standards. While 'others' might use vulgar speech, dress inappropriately, be disrespectful and so on, since we are Yidden, we don't do those stuff, speak that way, etc. It is in no way to put other people down, just to reinforce that more is expected from us.
+1
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2015, 07:41:41 PM »

I don't follow.  Are Orthodox Jews automatically on this higher level that you speak of?
A fully practicing orthodox jew is a more perfect person. The torah and miztvos perfect a person. Being closer to g-d elevates a person.

This option is available to everyone btw.

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2015, 07:43:47 PM »
A fully practicing orthodox jew is a more perfect person. The torah and miztvos perfect a person. Being closer to g-d elevates a person.

Ok, fair enough.

Is it really?  Someone born in the middle of nowhere on the other side of the world actually has a chance?  What about if he dies at 6 months old?  How can you honestly say that the option is available to everyone?  There are literally billions of people that don't have the option, and will never have the option.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2015, 07:44:04 PM »
Some people in the word are in ways "better" than others. Through hard work and growing closer to gd.
So if a Catholic grew closer to G-d through hard work that would make him better than some Jews?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline luckyluck

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2015, 07:44:54 PM »
In my daughter's school (Lakewood!), this week Dvar Torah was how we can learn from Avrohom who didn't get mad at Efron that we must respect everyone no matter if he's Jewish or not.
So you have orthodox schools and orthodox schools.

Offline ShlockDoc

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2015, 07:45:01 PM »

By available to everyone you are saying that anyone who does gods will is "elevated" and "perfected". Is that right?

Offline ShlockDoc

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2015, 07:45:35 PM »
So if a Catholic grew closer to G-d through hard that would make him better than some Jews?

Ugh, you beat me to the next step of my logical argument.

Offline cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2015, 07:46:07 PM »
So if a Catholic grew closer to G-d through hard that would make him better than some Jews?
Yes. A non-Jew who acts in an ethical and moral manner and follows the seven noahide laws can be on a higher level than a Jew who doesn't act as they should

ETA: and doesn't have to be hard, can be easier in a sense since they have less mitzvos
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2015, 07:46:08 PM »
By available to everyone you are saying that anyone who does gods will is "elevated" and "perfected". Is that right?
+1

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2015, 07:47:46 PM »
Why is Non-Jews okay? A) Goyim means nations. Why is that derogatory?     B) Non Jew implies that the person is lacking something by not being jewish.    And Gentile is a better description than Non-jews although it means the same thing.

gen·tile
ˈjen(t)īl/
noun
plural noun: Gentiles
a person who is not Jewish.
In theory they are all fine words. I'm just saying the word Goyim has come to have negative associations with it and using a different word might start us on a better path.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline luckyluck

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2015, 07:48:51 PM »
Yes. A non-Jew who acts in an ethical and moral manner and follows the seven noahide laws can be on a higher level than a Jew who doesn't act as they should

ETA: and doesn't have to be hard, can be easier in a sense since they have less mitzvos
Can a Jew and non-Jew both reach the highest level attainable?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2015, 07:49:10 PM »
That was actually my first thought and what I was going to ask Shlock about where the school was.
That I'd assume this is an outcome of the general NY upbringing that most OOT'ers find offputting...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ShlockDoc

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2015, 07:49:23 PM »
+1

I can respect that. Although, let's not kid ourselves, that's not what the poster is saying.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2015, 07:49:50 PM »
Ok, fair enough.

Is it really?  Someone born in the middle of nowhere on the other side of the world actually has a chance?  What about if he dies at 6 months old?  How can you honestly say that the option is available to everyone?  There are literally billions of people that don't have the option, and will never have the option.
Oh well. Since when is it an absolute fact that everyone should be born with exactly the same opportunities.
Does the child born in an African village with no running water have the same opportunities as the one born in a NJ suburb? No? I guess things are not always "fair". Is this bad?

Offline cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2015, 07:50:22 PM »
Good question. I don't know the answer. I believe G-d wants each person to reach their potential, and that's individual. I will never reach the level of the matriarchs, but if I reach my fullest potential them I've reached the highest level
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2015, 07:50:36 PM »
Does a good Catholic believe that a Catholic and a Jew can attain the highest level?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2015, 07:51:27 PM »
Oh well. Since when is it an absolute fact that everyone should be born with exactly the same opportunities.
Does the child born in an African village with no running water have the same opportunities as the one born in a NJ suburb? No? I guess things are not always "fair". Is this bad?

No, but I misunderstood your previous post to mean that everyone has the opportunity to be a fully practicing Jew.  You're right, life ain't fair, I don't think anyone disagrees with that.