Author Topic: MS courtesy of NYS Dept of Finance!  (Read 11661 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
MS courtesy of NYS Dept of Finance!
« on: November 08, 2015, 11:14:34 PM »
This is worth sharing with anyone that get a per swipe bonus (like I do on my Freedom card, though I think it's going away by the end of 2015 - so would love to hear what other cards get a per swipe bonus).

I recently filed my 2014 taxes, and when the IRS finally sent me the refund it was a few thousand short.

Turns out I had a notice from NY State for overdue taxes, so the IRS sent the money to NYS.

However, I didn't owe NYS anywhere near that amount. I actually paid them a few days late last year, but since they had already generated a notice, they didn't match up my payment with that notice, so it showed an outstanding balance. 20 minutes on the phone with NYS Tax Department had them promising to apply my payment to the "notice", but I would still have some interest due. The money they will be getting from the IRS is more than enough to cover that, but they say it would take them 60 to 90 days to refund me the excess.

I did some experimenting with the NYS Dept of Taxation and Finance, and found that I can pay my liability by credit card. Given that I get 10 points per swipe with my Chase Freedom, I decided to see if I can get a "discount" on my taxes by paying using multiple swipes.

Now the "convenience" fee for using a credit card, is officially 2.25%, however, we all know that rounding can help with that to bring it down slightly. I tried putting in charges of less than a dollar, but it seems like $1.00 is the lowest payment accepted. So I enter a payment of $1.11, convenience fee is $0.02 (which brings it down to 1.8% from the official 2.25%) and watch what happens. Turns out that NYS sends the payment and the fee as two separate charges, so for $1.13 charge, I get 21 UR points. Even if you value the points at only 1 cent, that's an 18.58% discount on my tax bill!

Now comes the obvious question: is it worth all the time required to keep on entering credit card information just to get this discount?

Enter iMacros and Firefox!

iMacros lets you record and playback actions on your web browser. Sometimes the recording needs a little tweaking, but with NYS Dept of Finance there was almost no tweaking at all. Record the action once, and then tell iMacros to play back the loop as many times as you want.

Since applying payments to the bill is not automatic, it seems like as long as there's an outstanding bill, you can overpay (and get refunded 60 to 90 days later).

So there you have it. Manufactured Spend courtesy of Chase Freedom, NYS Dept of Finance, iMacros and Firefox!

Now if anyone can name any other cards that give per swipe bonuses, I am open for suggestions ;)

p.s. The above iMacros technique is also usable to reload Amazon gift card balance 50 cents at a time, though that script required a lot more tweaking and fine tuning.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online LoLo

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: MS courtesy of NYS Dept of Finance!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 11:27:49 PM »
Now if anyone can name any other cards that give per swipe bonuses, I am open for suggestions ;)
30 monthly transactions on EDP

Offline akivak

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 11:30:28 PM »
Do they flag your account if u pay with so many small transactions?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 11:49:14 PM »
30 monthly transactions on EDP

That's not a per swipe bonus. Once you got the 30 swipes for the month, there's no benefit for additional swipes.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 11:53:56 PM »
Do they flag your account if u pay with so many small transactions?
I will report on this if it happens.
So far Chase didn't do anything to me despite having over a couple of hundred 50 cent Amazon charges per month (and the occasional 1 cent charge when I come across anything that's priced so low, though if it's on Amazon, the seller will usually refund the charge, as it costs them a lot more to make the sale, but they are willing to absorb that if I actually activate a SIM card that I bought for 1 cent).
-- Dan

Online tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 12:02:57 AM »
Are you sure your still getting a per swipe bonus? Most people were bounced from that program 2 years ago!

Offline akivak

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 12:05:21 AM »
Discover bank has 10 cents per swipe up to 100 swipes per month, I think

Offline Square

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 12:29:53 AM »
Yes. And for Nov. there is a 20 cents per swipe promo.

Offline akivak

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 12:44:06 AM »
Do I have to sign up for that

Offline Square

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 12:59:05 AM »

Offline sam i am

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 01:19:06 AM »
No.
Just remember it's Discover bank, not Discover card and they warn against doing such transactions.

Offline kangarruu

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 08:11:46 AM »
This is worth sharing with anyone that get a per swipe bonus (like I do on my Freedom card, though I think it's going away by the end of 2015 - so would love to hear what other cards get a per swipe bonus).

I recently filed my 2014 taxes, and when the IRS finally sent me the refund it was a few thousand short.

Turns out I had a notice from NY State for overdue taxes, so the IRS sent the money to NYS.

However, I didn't owe NYS anywhere near that amount. I actually paid them a few days late last year, but since they had already generated a notice, they didn't match up my payment with that notice, so it showed an outstanding balance. 20 minutes on the phone with NYS Tax Department had them promising to apply my payment to the "notice", but I would still have some interest due. The money they will be getting from the IRS is more than enough to cover that, but they say it would take them 60 to 90 days to refund me the excess.

I did some experimenting with the NYS Dept of Taxation and Finance, and found that I can pay my liability by credit card. Given that I get 10 points per swipe with my Chase Freedom, I decided to see if I can get a "discount" on my taxes by paying using multiple swipes.

Now the "convenience" fee for using a credit card, is officially 2.25%, however, we all know that rounding can help with that to bring it down slightly. I tried putting in charges of less than a dollar, but it seems like $1.00 is the lowest payment accepted. So I enter a payment of $1.11, convenience fee is $0.02 (which brings it down to 1.8% from the official 2.25%) and watch what happens. Turns out that NYS sends the payment and the fee as two separate charges, so for $1.13 charge, I get 21 UR points. Even if you value the points at only 1 cent, that's an 18.58% discount on my tax bill!

Now comes the obvious question: is it worth all the time required to keep on entering credit card information just to get this discount?

Enter iMacros and Firefox!

iMacros lets you record and playback actions on your web browser. Sometimes the recording needs a little tweaking, but with NYS Dept of Finance there was almost no tweaking at all. Record the action once, and then tell iMacros to play back the loop as many times as you want.

Since applying payments to the bill is not automatic, it seems like as long as there's an outstanding bill, you can overpay (and get refunded 60 to 90 days later).

So there you have it. Manufactured Spend courtesy of Chase Freedom, NYS Dept of Finance, iMacros and Firefox!

p.s. The above iMacros technique is also usable to reload Amazon gift card balance 50 cents at a time, though that script required a lot more tweaking and fine tuning.

I wouldn't play with a taxing authority.

Offline Mocha

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 08:17:14 AM »
I wouldn't play with a taxing authority.
You worried they're going to ban him from paying taxes?

Only thing id be cautious about is being shut by chase for perk abuse.

Offline PillanSmye

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 08:52:59 AM »

;D

Only if you give them a wheel barrel full of pennies.

Online tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 08:53:07 AM »

Only thing id be cautious about is being shut by chase for perk abuse.
+1
They have shut people down for this in the past. I still can't figure out how the OP still has this. Even those grandfathered in lost it a while ago....

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2015, 09:19:01 AM »

I will report on this if it happens.
So far Chase didn't do anything to me despite having over a couple of hundred 50 cent Amazon charges per month (and the occasional 1 cent charge when I come across anything that's priced so low, though if it's on Amazon, the seller will usually refund the charge, as it costs them a lot more to make the sale, but they are willing to absorb that if I actually activate a SIM card that I bought for 1 cent).

Would you be able to share your amazon reload script?

Offline David R

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2015, 09:29:48 AM »
+1
They have shut people down for this in the past. I still can't figure out how the OP still has this. Even those grandfathered in lost it a while ago....
I have it. And I don't abuse it.

Offline Tuna Baygel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2015, 09:46:39 AM »
Wow!

Offline akivak

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2015, 11:17:22 AM »
Wow!
???
Thats a max of $10 a month, whats the wow?

Offline yossi621

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2015, 11:30:43 AM »
I have it. And I don't abuse it.

same here, still get that on my freedom card, 10% bonus per dollar and 10 points per swipe