Author Topic: Kauai and the Big Island of Hawaii: 3yummyboys style  (Read 19004 times)

Offline 3yummyboys

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Kauai and the Big Island of Hawaii: 3yummyboys style
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2015, 07:19:49 PM »
The suite was really gorgeous. It had a huge bathroom with the famous toto toilet. They had set up a plate of cut fruit and had flowers strewn throughout the suite. We spoke to the kitchen staff prior to our arrival, and we were assured that all fruit was cut with dedicated fruit/vegetable utensils. It was quite a long walk to get to our suite from the lobby. (We were wondering if that room was used for all the free upgrades because it was a shlep and whenever we needed anything we had to wait a long time for someone to make it up to our room.) The view from the room was breath taking. I could have spent the entire vacation sitting on the lanai (porch) listening to the waves. I went down to the concierge to find out what they recommend for rainy days. Apparently it was raining all over the island at the time. We were told that even in the rain the waterfalls on the east side would be a good bet, so off we went. We also made spa appointments for 3:00 that afternoon. On the way out, we were offered bottled water, towel and umbrellas.

IMG_0062 by n d, on Flickr
Tree Tunnel

We did not put on suntan lotion since it was raining and we weren't planning on being out for too long. Huge mistake! Once the sun came out, it was STRONG! Luckily, we both were only slightly burnt by the time we got back. We passed a few beaches, but the water looked dark and murky. We were told that due to the rain and the strong ocean currents, the water on the beach was full of sediment. By the time we got to Opaeka'a Falls, the rain had stopped. The falls were all muddy, but still beautiful. At Wailua falls, there was a couple that climbed over the fence and went down to the falls but it looked very steep and slippery and the water didn't look that inviting anyway.

IMG_0001 by n d, on Flickr
Opaeka’a Falls from far

IMG_0003 by n d, on Flickr

IMG_0055 by n d, on Flickr
Wailua Falls

We used Waze for most of the trip and it was great. I can't imagine how people survived before GPS! We used it to get to Ho'opi'i Falls but we were not sure if we were in the right place. We found a small trail but after a few minutes we ended up at what seemed like a dead end on private property. So we turned around, having seen 2 out of the 3 waterfalls so far.

We had some time to kill before our spa appointments, so we decided to check out Larsen's Beach. By this time it was sunny and beautiful outside, if not a little too humid. I honestly don't remember why we chose that one. After driving down a dirt road, we came to a small parking lot. After changing into swim gear (and stupidly putting on crocs) we headed down the trail. It was very wet and muddy and it took us a while to get down. There were a few people on the beach, and the water was choppy so we skipped the snorkeling. On the way back up, a little boy around 3 years old was walking ahead of us with his mom. He was barefoot and seemed to just run right up. It was quite embarrassing for us, who were slipping and sliding and clawing our way up.

IMG_0035 by n d, on Flickr

IMG_0031 by n d, on Flickr

We stopped at a small fruit stand to grab a snack. The guy cut up some fruits for us to try. I can't explain how incredible the mangos were! My mind was literally blown. I am not a huge mango fan, but I couldn't get enough. They were sweet and juicy and the texture was perfect. As we would find out, the perfectly ripe, delicious fruit on Kauai is incomparable to anything we have ever tried.

On the way back to the hotel, we made reservations to have our food served to us at Tidepools after our spa appointments. The chef had requested a minimum of 2 hours notice before we wanted to be served but we figured that the earlier the better.

The spa is beautiful. There is a separate area for men and women, including a jacuzzi, a steamroom, a sauna, outdoor lava showers and lockers. There is also a co-ed lap pool. The treatment rooms are also co-ed, so I had to get dressed to walk from the ladies spa area to the treatment room. Although outrageously expensive, we really enjoyed it! Since all of the other activities (aside from the heli tour) were free, we didn’t feel so bad splurging.

Dinner at Tidepools was the perfect end to the day. At this point we were exhausted, it was around 7 pm. We bumped into another DDFer who immediately asked if we were 3yummyboys :) Although he directed the question to DH who just shrugged and looked at me. The waiter offered us drinks and asked if we were able to eat some of the restaurants bread. Our table was all set with plastic ware already. We sat right at the edge of the koi pond, whenever someone would throw food into the pond the fish would all jump to catch it. POM meal #1 was excellent, just what we needed after a day of running around.

Tidepools by n d, on Flickr
Tidepools pic from hotel website

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2015, 07:20:53 PM »
Tuesday morning we were up early again. It was drizzling but we decided to take our chances and go to Poipu beach. By the time we got there, the rain had stopped. This was our first time snorkeling and we were amazed. Surrounded by all kinds of colorful fish, we had the entire beach to ourselves. The pictures do not even come close to what it was really like!

IMG_0065 by n d, on Flickr
Poipu Beach

IMG_0515 by n d, on Flickr

IMG_0096 by n d, on Flickr

The tides felt pretty strong (for someone who has never swam in the Pacific), and after a while I got a little seasick. So I just sat on the gorgeous beach watching the waves while DH continued to snorkel for a while. By 8:30 am people began trickling in, mostly joggers on the beach. As we were getting ready to leave, an adorable monk seal beached itself right next to us! I took a few steps to get closer, and apparently I blocked him from the sun because he barked at me!

IMG_0463 by n d, on Flickr

By this time, it was partly sunny in Poipu and we decided to drive to Waimea Canyon. We started up Waimea Canyon drive and were treated to incredible views. We stopped at many pullouts on the road just to gawk. Around mile 8 it began to get foggy and it was drizzling on and off. We stopped at a few lookouts, including the Waimea Canyon lookout, Pu’u Ka Pele and Kalalu lookout, but unfortunately they were all cloudy and we didn't really see anything. As per the revealed book's suggestion, we waited for a while at the Pu'u O Kila lookout for the clouds to pass, but alas, it was not meant to be. Now we have an excuse to come back.

IMG_0207 by n d, on Flickr

IMG_0129 by n d, on Flickr

We decided to try to canyon trail to Waipo'o Falls. The book says that it is 4 miles round trip and a moderately strenuous hike. Due to all of the rain, the entire trail was wet and muddy. I kept sliding in the mud and DH took the opportunity to video me falling all over myself. Waterproof hiking shoes are a must for this hike. At one point, we had to wade through a small river. There was a lot of up and down!  I should mention that I am NOT a hiker and I was highly unprepared for this hike. We figured we would do about a half hour or so, so we each brought a small water bottle. But after about 30 minutes, we passed a hiker who told us it was only another 30 or 40 minutes until the end, so we figured we would continue. Everyone that we passed on the trail gave us a different estimate of how long it would take for us to reach the end. Close to an hour later, we passed another hiker on his way up who said it would be about another 30 minutes. Well, we came this far, so we might as well finish, right?
I should have paid more attention to the book, which accurately says it takes about 3 hours round trip. By the time we got to the canyon views, I was exhausted and starting to get nervous that it would be dark before we made it back up. I decided to skip the very last part of the hike to the falls and take a break. DH went down to the falls, although he said he did not think they were anything spectacular. He only saw the falls to the left, I guess the larger falls are easy to miss when you are not looking for them. Meanwhile I enjoyed the view from the ridge.

IMG_0184 by n d, on Flickr

IMG_0181 by n d, on Flickr

IMG_0138 by n d, on Flickr

IMG_0192 by n d, on Flickr

The views of the canyon were breath taking, and by this time the sun had come out. It was at this point that I think we both completely fell in love with Kauai. There is no way to fully describe the majesty of the mountains, the amazing ridges and waterfalls throughout the canyon. (According to the revealed book, legend has it that Mark Twain described Waimea canyon as the Grand Canyon of the Pacific, although in actuality he did not visit Kauai.) 

After the hike, we drove down Waimea Canyon, a few miles before reaching Kauamuali'i Highway, and stopped to watch the sun set. The windy road, plus probably a little dehydration, made me very nauseous, and I began to get nervous about our Heli tour the next day. Blue Hawaiian's policy is that you cannot cancel within 24 hours, but you can put yourself on a wait list, and if someone else books your spot then they will refund you. DH refused to go without me, but at that point I really was not feeling well so I added both of our reservations to the waitlist.

IMG_0221 by n d, on Flickr

IMG_0221 by n d, on Flickr

IMG_0217 by n d, on Flickr

When we got back to the hotel, we had dinner brought to our room and I went to bed. DH spent some time by the pools and the lagoon.

Offline mechayamom

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2015, 11:37:27 PM »
OMG.  Great job on the writeup and the pictures are fabulous.
I emailed the manager and never bumped into Marquis until my last night.  Got no upgrade..oh well.
Still was lovely.

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2015, 11:18:26 AM »
Do you think I have a better chance of getting upgraded if I pay for the rooms? (I know it's blaspheme but I have 3k in hyatt GC I need to liquidate anyway)

Offline Joe4007

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2015, 12:34:07 AM »
Nice report. Keep it coming.

With regards to the canyon trail; I don't recall crossing any river and IME water hiking shoes weren't necessary. I suppose your experience was due to the rain. Additionally, like your DH said, you haven't missed out much by not seeing the falls. The canyon views are what's most rewarding about this trail. AFAIK, you can't see the larger portion of the falls from this trail (Although you can hear it).

Offline mechayamom

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2015, 02:22:31 AM »
Nice report. Keep it coming.

With regards to the canyon trail; I don't recall crossing any river and IME water hiking shoes weren't necessary. I suppose your experience was due to the rain. Additionally, like your DH said, you haven't missed out much by not seeing the falls. The canyon views are what's most rewarding about this trail. AFAIK, you can't see the larger portion of the falls from this trail (Although you can hear it).

Actually the larger falls are really close to the smaller falls. You walk through a path of ginger trees and you see the top of the bug fall. There were people s but down that path but you would have to do some Boulder hopping. I never would have found it but some lady showed me.

Offline Joe4007

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2015, 08:22:56 AM »
Actually the larger falls are really close to the smaller falls. You walk through a path of ginger trees and you see the top of the bug fall. There were people s but down that path but you would have to do some Boulder hopping. I never would have found it but some lady showed me.
But can you see the actual "fall"?

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2015, 03:13:10 PM »

But can you see the actual "fall"?

It seems like you will end up on top of the falls

Offline Joe4007

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2015, 03:15:08 PM »
It seems like you will end up on top of the falls
Is that a yes or a no?

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2015, 03:48:15 PM »

Is that a yes or a no?

It's an "I don't know" but I'm assuming that being on top of the falls wouldn't afford the best view.

Offline mechayamom

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2015, 10:02:50 PM »
It's an "I don't know" but I'm assuming that being on top of the falls wouldn't afford the best view.
I fund not see the falls from that vantage point. Of course there were people who waded further down. But I kinda like not falling down a cliff. The falls are viewable from the lookout points

Offline mgoldhammer18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: American Airlines, Citi thank you, British Avios, Hilton, SPG, AMEX Platinum, Jetblue
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2016, 02:05:59 PM »
When do we get to hear about the big island?

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
Kauai and the Big Island of Hawaii: 3yummyboys style
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2016, 06:38:47 AM »
When do we get to hear about the big island?

Hopefully after pesach ... Never realized how much time goes into a TR.

If you're planning a trip and have specific questions, PM me

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2016, 09:42:13 AM »
Sorry for the long break ... but I'm hoping to finish this TR soon

Wednesday we wanted to check out some of the beaches on the north side of the island.

We wanted to go to Secret Beach, Hideaways or Tunnels but there were people at all of them  :'(

We ended up stopping at Ha'ena beach park to change out of our swim gear. The beach looked very nice but was full of people. We walked across the street to the Manini-holo dry cave, which was nothing special. At this point we had to get back to Lihue for our helicopter tour. The skies were gray and murky but Blue Hawaiian does not cancel flights until 15 minutes before due to the ever changing nature of the weather in Kauai. After waiting around for a while, they finally cancelled our tour. Since we were leaving the next morning, we were unable to reschedule. Oh well, just an excuse to go back :)

IMG_0266 by n d, on Flickr
Manini-holo cave

We drove to Spouting Horn, which was very cool but not a long activity. At this point, it was sunny and hot on the southern part of the island. We decided to head back to the hotel and check out the lithified cliffs near the Hyatt. WOW! It was fairly easy walking once we got up to the top and the views were amazing. We didn't continue past the golf course. By the time we got back to Shipwreck beach it was about an hour before sunset and the beach was empty save for a couple taking pictures. We took the opportunity to jump right in to the water in our clothes and then we sat in one of the beachfront cabanas to dry off.

IMG_0310 by n d, on Flickr
Spouting Horn

IMG_0337 by n d, on Flickr
Cliffs by Shipwreck beach

IMG_0399 by n d, on Flickr

After another delicious POM dinner, we noticed that the pools were mostly empty so we went for a night swim through some of the pools and jacuzzis. There is nothing like swimming in a gorgeous GHK pool with the moon shining above and the sounds of the ocean waves nearby. All too soon, it was our last night in Kauai but at least we were heading to our next adventure on the Big Island.

We woke up early Thursday morning to snorkel at Poipu Beach. We noticed a seal tanning near the left side of the beach and came closer to check it out. At this point we realized that it was actually a giant sea turtle! My husband got close for a picture and pet the turtle, but someone came over and told us that it's illegal to come within 15 feet of a sea turtle and there is a $1,500 fine. At least we got our picture :)

IMG_0525 by n d, on Flickr

We went back to our suite to pack up, called the kitchen to send up our frozen food so we could repack it, and said goodbye to the beautiful Grand Hyatt Kauai. We were flying to HNL and then on to KOA so we could settle in before the beginning of our two day shabbos.

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2016, 09:50:58 AM »
Since you can't fly directly from LIH to KOA, we had a stopover in HNL. After uneventful flights, we arrived on the Big Island and as the book warns, it did not make a great first impression. Luckily, the first impression was dead wrong, as you will soon see.
We had ordered challah and grape juice from chabad, but had a hard time finding them. Apparently, they recently moved and we had the wrong address. After stopping at Walmart to pick up some snack, we went to our rental home. We found it on homeaway.com for $600/night including all taxes and fees. A fortune, I know, but it was worth it. We sold some points to pay for it (I know, I know, please dont throw me off DDF). Rabbi Chazanow contacted us and apologized for the confusion, he personally dropped off our challah, and gave us a nice bottle of wine as well. He also brought us some instant coffee for shabbos. We spent two days lounging around our gorgeous home. We hold that Friday we can't do deoraisa's so we were able to swim, which we did basically all day!

We stayed in a gorgeous home, I can't find pictures right now but PM if interested. (ETA it seems that the home was sold and is now being advertised on luxuryretreats.com and they raised the price)

Two small mishaps, 1) our urn was leaking so we didn't have hot water 2) oven went off automatically so we couldn't keep it on. Good thing we brought a small blech so we used that to heat up our food. By motzei shabbos, we were a little stir crazy so we went to Walmart and drove around Kona for a while.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 09:53:59 AM by 3yummyboys »

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2016, 10:06:27 AM »
Sunday was a beautiful day and we got out pretty early. Driving around the big island, we were amazing at all of the different types of landscapes. From the desolate lava to lush rainforests, we enjoyed the scenery throughout the island. We rented a jeep with t-tops, and kept them off whenever we could.

We started off at VNP. It was pretty cool but we were disappointed that there was no accessible lava flow. We drove most of Chain of Craters road. We did the Kilauea Iki Hike which includes the Thursten Lava tube, Devastation Trail and the Steam Vents. We saw some cool and unusual plants growing around various parts of VNP. On the way out, we stopped to check out the tree molds. 

IMG_0707 by n d, on Flickr

IMG_0703 by n d, on Flickr
Steam Vent

IMG_0609 by n d, on Flickr
Halema’uma’u Crator
IMG_0594 by n d, on Flickr

IMG_0618 by n d, on Flickr
Thursten Lava Tube

IMG_0728 by n d, on Flickr
Tree mold

IMG_0662 by n d, on Flickr
IMG_0664 by n d, on Flickr

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2016, 10:15:34 AM »
We drove through Hilo on the way to Mauna Kea, stopping to explore Kaumana Caves. We went in to the cave on the left, and it was very cool. Make sure to bring flashlights, it was pitch black.
IMG_0765 by n d, on Flickr

IMG_0759 by n d, on Flickr

We drove to the Mauna Kea Visitors Center and hung out there for a little to acclimate. There is not really much to do there but we browsed the gift shop for about half an hour, as is recommended. The drive up to the summit took about 30 minutes, the first part of the road is unpaved and goes pretty slow. We were afraid we would miss sunset, but then the paved road began and we made it up pretty quickly. It was cold at the top, however we saw a group in snowsuits which was major overkill. We had sweatshirts, I was pretty cold but DH was fine.

IMG_0810 by n d, on Flickr

IMG_0798 by n d, on Flickr

IMG_0808 by n d, on Flickr

IMG_0771 by n d, on Flickr
Sunset was amazing, the pictures do not do justice! It was very cool being above the clouds. The drive back to the visitors center was also incredible. We hung out there for a while unitl the stars came out, and it was very cool looking through the telescopes and having a “tour” of the sky by one of the guides.

Offline mgoldhammer18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: American Airlines, Citi thank you, British Avios, Hilton, SPG, AMEX Platinum, Jetblue
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2016, 02:43:42 PM »
Awesome! Was that the end?

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2016, 02:46:22 PM »
Nope :)

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2016, 06:32:54 PM »
Monday morning we planned to do the East side of the island. Due to that pesky hurricane, we knew that we might have to skip the water activities (beaches, tidepools etc), We drove to Waipio Valley even though we weren’t planning to drive down. However, the ranger there was really nice and told us that we should just take it slow and it’s not that bad. Wow, I am so glad we listened! It was definitely one of the highlights of our trip. Downhill traffic always yields to uphill traffic on the road, but there are places to pull to the side on most parts of the road. I was surprised at the number of people who actually hiked up and down the road.
We drove through some very muddy areas at the bottom of the valley, and we finally decided to park the car and walk the rest of the way to the beach when we reached what looked like a river. We parked about a 10 minute walk from the beach. The black sand beach was beautiful, and the waves were huge. The twin falls were also beautiful (Hi’ilawe Falls, I think). I cant find the picture, but we passed a sign that said “Waipio is like Heaven, Don’t drive like Hell. Slow Down, Mahalo”

IMG_0825 by n d, on Flickr

IMG_0857 by n d, on Flickr

IMG_0842 by n d, on Flickr

IMG_0828 by n d, on Flickr