Author Topic: What kind of miles can you earn on a non-partner codeshare flight?  (Read 2572 times)

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
After all these years, I still never managed to get a definitive answer to this question: what kind of miles can you earn on a codeshare flight where the marketing and operating carriers are not common partners in (almost) any mileage program? For example, for a flight from Zurich to Tel Aviv that has a Swiss flight number, but is actually operated by El Al, can you earn:

1) ...Star Alliance miles?
2) ...Matmid points?
3) ...only miles from a program that is partners with both El Al AND Swiss, such as South African?
4) ...no miles whatsoever of any type?

If anyone has any actual experience (or at least first-hand knowledge) that they can share - not just guesswork and speculation - I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Offline mileagejunkie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 607
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of miles can you earn on a non-partner codeshare flight?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 03:03:13 PM »
After all these years, I still never managed to get a definitive answer to this question: what kind of miles can you earn on a codeshare flight where the marketing and operating carriers are not common partners in (almost) any mileage program? For example, for a flight from Zurich to Tel Aviv that has a Swiss flight number, but is actually operated by El Al, can you earn:

2) ...Matmid points?
3) ...only miles from a program that is partners with both El Al AND Swiss, such as South African?

If anyone has any actual experience (or at least first-hand knowledge) that they can share - not just guesswork and speculation - I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Very simple, you earn miles as per the airline that issued your ticket. Doesn't matter who operated the flight.

Offline yochai

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 03:41:48 PM »

2) ...Matmid points?

Thanks!
Had the opposite situation: ticketed by LY and operated by LX and got matmid points.

Offline a mirrer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 01:34:52 AM »
Very simple, you earn miles as per the airline that issued your ticket. Doesn't matter who operated the flight.
not exactly see here

Offline yessory

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 01:57:11 AM »
You can also claim on the airline operating the flight if you wish.
You may need to know the operating carriers internal confirmation to do this...

Offline mileagejunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 09:18:00 AM »

not exactly see here

I just read the thread, how is it any different from what I said? In his situation, he's booked through LX and will earn miles and more miles. When they say in  the case of an LY flight number in the email, it means let say you book a ticket through orbitz that is put up together in their system, then yes he could earn matmid points. But an LY flight number means that this part of the ticket is issued by LY, as he would need to check in through LY system even though some people are checking in through LX on the same flight if it is a codeshare.

Offline mileagejunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 09:26:45 AM »

You can also claim on the airline operating the flight if you wish.
You may need to know the operating carriers internal confirmation to do this...

Do you have experience and examples with that? I've tried that in the past on flights operated by UA/LX on each other's metal to see if I could buy a fare that is considered discounted by one carrier but not the other and get full mileage but it did not work. Although in this case you can credit on either since they are alliance partners, if you fly UA metal but are issued through LX and credit to UA, you will get as per the the alliance mileage chart of UA for flying LX and not UA.

Offline a mirrer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 09:37:33 AM »
I just read the thread, how is it any different from what I said? In his situation, he's booked through LX and will earn miles and more miles. When they say in  the case of an LY flight number in the email, it means let say you book a ticket through orbitz that is put up together in their system, then yes he could earn matmid points. But an LY flight number means that this part of the ticket is issued by LY, as he would need to check in through LY system even though some people are checking in through LX on the same flight if it is a codeshare.
correct but not *a partners as they generally don't award for partner codeshare if its not another *a carrier

Offline yessory

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 10:05:11 AM »
Do you have experience and examples with that? I've tried that in the past on flights operated by UA/LX on each other's metal to see if I could buy a fare that is considered discounted by one carrier but not the other and get full mileage but it did not work. Although in this case you can credit on either since they are alliance partners, if you fly UA metal but are issued through LX and credit to UA, you will get as per the the alliance mileage chart of UA for flying LX and not UA.
Irrelevant. Never said anything about how much miles you can get. Was just talking about the possibility of earning ANY miles. And yes, talking from experience (unless this policy has changed in the last year since my flight).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 10:11:49 AM by yessory »

Offline mileagejunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 10:15:00 AM »

correct but not *a partners as they generally don't award for partner codeshare if its not another *a carrier

The email in the post that you linked me to clearly states that he will earn award miles on LY metal which is not in the same alliance. My point here to OP was to answer that it doesn't matter who the flight is actually operated by.

Offline mileagejunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 10:16:33 AM »

Irrelevant. Never said anything about how much miles you can get. Was just talking about the possibility of earning ANY miles. And yes, talking from experience (unless this policy has changed in the last year since my flight).

Would you mind sharing the details?

Offline yessory

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 10:28:49 AM »
Would you mind sharing the details?
Yes, was TLV-ZRH on LY coded (LX operated), and had the miles credited to United I believe.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 01:27:48 PM by yessory »

Offline yochai

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 11:50:40 AM »
Not true about check in. you always check in with the operating airline

Offline mileagejunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 01:29:05 PM »

Yes, was TLV-ZRH on LY coded (LX operated), and had the miles credited to United I believe.

And you were ticketed via LY? I've never heard of anything like that. In the link posted by a mirrer it's clearly written in the email from Swiss that you wouldn't get miles in that case.

Offline mileagejunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 01:34:30 PM »

Not true about check in. you always check in with the operating airline

You are correct. However your reservation is in the system of the airline you were ticketed with. The operating airline can fetch your itinerary and change your seat, reschedule if it's a last minute issue on their end, but that's that's pretty much it.