Author Topic: Kids are expensive!!  (Read 16551 times)

Offline MnM1130

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Kids are expensive!!
« on: February 23, 2011, 03:19:43 AM »
Kids are expensive!! I remember i wanted to have a boy to make a pidyon haben and and a bris- well i so regreted it when i saw those prices... in the end we made the bris ourselves and it was much much cheaper... but we had little helpers (siblings) and it was really tough on me (i was after birth).. so just stick to catering and next time have a girl.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:58:18 AM by Dan »

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
Re: Re: Bris Catering Cost?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 03:44:46 AM »
are you seriously saying you regret having a boy?!

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 04:06:31 AM »
absolutely not. i love my li boy.. just its expensive in the beginning.... so u gotta pay the price.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 04:23:37 AM »
it sure sounded like it

Offline Avid Reader

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 05:57:19 AM »
Kids are expensive!! I remember i wanted to have a boy to make a pidyon haben and and a bris- well i so regreted it when i saw those prices... in the end we made the bris ourselves and it was much much cheaper... but we had little helpers (siblings) and it was really tough on me (i was after birth).. so just stick to catering and next time have a girl.

LOL...

If cost is the deciding factor, girls end up costing wayyyy more with all the clothing they buy. And if you marry them off to a Kollel guy, you may end up paying for 'life support'.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 09:55:21 AM »
LOL...

If cost is the deciding factor, girls end up costing wayyyy more with all the clothing they buy.
At least in the Chabad system I don't buy that for a second.

A boy will have a Bris, Upsherin, and Bar Mitzvah.  And for a boy you'll be paying for some 5 years of zal (beis medresh)/smicha after mesivta (high school).  Now most people don't pay full tuition, but they're still paying a big chunk and the asking price for room and board at these places is now pushing an insane $20,000/year.  (Nobody is quite sure what exactly costs so much to learn b'chavrusa, have a shiur once in a while, and get terrible food.  But don't you dare make waves...)

A girl has 1 year of seminary after high-school, that's it.

And it's not like boys clothes are free either!  You still have to have suits, and a new Borsalino, etc, etc.

Then there's the wedding, but these days the boys family isn't getting off that much cheaper than the girls family either.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:37:24 AM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline twentie4hrs

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 09:57:26 AM »
I think we should start a new topic for this...maybe " life is expensive"
A penny saved is 1 cent

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Kids are expensive!!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 10:06:31 AM »
I think we should start a new topic for this...maybe " life is expensive"

But it's worth it!
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 10:32:18 AM »
Alright, so the cheapest is to raise a boy as non chabad, and turn him into chabad when he is ready to marry.

Girls should be raised as chabad, and turned into non chabad when they are married.

Borsalino? I thought lubs pick them up from the....

My own hats that are worn out, I give to chabad friends.

@m&m:  not sure in what crowd you are, but in mine, you actually have to stop people to help you out if you want to cater, otherwise, all will be beautifully prepared by some nice ladies, with top of the line food, etc.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »
Alright, so the cheapest is to raise a boy as non chabad, and turn him into chabad when he is ready to marry.

Girls should be raised as chabad, and turned into non chabad when they are married.

Borsalino? I thought lubs pick them up from the....

My own hats that are worn out, I give to chabad friends.
LMAO!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline eliteflyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 10:42:16 AM »

A boy will have a Bris, Upsherin, and Bar Mitzvah.  And for a boy you'll be paying for some 5 years of zal (beis medresh)/smicha after mesivta (high school).  Now most people don't pay full tuition, but they're still paying a big chunk and the asking price for room and board at these places is now pushing an insane $20,000/year.  (Nobody is quite sure what exactly costs so much to learn b'chavrusa, have a shiur once in a while, and get terrible food.  But don't you dare make waves...)

And it's not like boys clothes are free either!  You still have to have suits, and a new Borsalino, etc, etc.

Then there's the wedding, but these days the boys family isn't getting off that much cheaper than the girls family either.
From a family of all boys :-)

There is one thing that you forgot to mention about the chabad system. If you play your tuition cards right, you can get away with just 2 years of paid tuition @ 10-20k per year + 1 year of smicha, and walk away with a BA, the title of Rabbi, and a stellar GPA...just saying.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:45:25 AM by eliteflyer »

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 11:32:54 AM »
like new title. lol

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 11:36:00 AM »
From a family of all boys :-)

There is one thing that you forgot to mention about the chabad system. If you play your tuition cards right, you can get away with just 2 years of paid tuition @ 10-20k per year + 1 year of smicha, and walk away with a BA, the title of Rabbi, and a stellar GPA...just saying.
How can you do just 2 years of zal before shlichus and smicha? 3, sure, but 2?

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 11:36:27 AM »

Tuition is heavier for the boys, but your numbers are a bit inflated. I did 3 years of Zall, not 5, and my parents definitely didn't pay 20K a year.  Learning local also plays a factor on tuition cost, and I understand there are no Chabad Beis Medrash' in CLE. I didn't pay a penny to study Smicha in 770, and neither did most of my friends (unless you're an out-of-town're and need room and board etc.). My sisters typically did two, not one, years of seminary.

With all the cloths girls buy though, they usually have some sort of income as teenagers to support their buying habits, first baby-sitting and then as teachers, which the boys don't have till they're married (unless you're a DD type guy ;)).

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 11:37:54 AM »

Aside from smicha, isn't this the case with all AARTS accredited yeshivos, not just Chabad?

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 11:45:28 AM »
i c.. love how this thread was "started" by me... kids are def expensive... although i dont think i wud start a thread bout it.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 11:47:33 AM »
Tuition is heavier for the boys, but your numbers are a bit inflated. I did 3 years of Zall, not 5, and my parents definitely didn't pay 20K a year.  Learning local also plays a factor on tuition cost, and I understand there are no Chabad Beis Medrash' in CLE. I didn't pay a penny to study Smicha in 770, and neither did most of my friends (unless you're an out-of-town're and need room and board etc.). My sisters typically did two, not one, years of seminary.

With all the cloths girls buy though, they usually have some sort of income as teenagers to support their buying habits, first baby-sitting and then as teachers, which the boys don't have till they're married (unless you're a DD type guy ;)).

Yes, if you live in CH, you're right, you will pay much less.  But from anywhere else you'll be paying $$$$

Even if you live in LA which has a zal (If the rosh doesn't kick out all of the local LA boys that year...), you still have to dorm and while most don't pay the full 19K, you're not getting away with paying less than $12K AFAIK.

And I have friends who tried doing smicha in 770 and spent literally years learning there and have only been tested on 1 section.  It takes true discipline, that many guys don't have.  If you want to go to a program in LA these days and be done by June, expect to pay $$$$ for it!

So 3 years of zal at a minimum, and a year of smicha, it is expensive for boys!  My father's been doing that for 6 boys...

From my dating experience, the vast majority of chabad girls seemed to have done 1 year of sem and then worked for a shliach or taught.  I don't buy the whole "girls are more expensive" line.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 11:50:51 AM by Dan »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 11:57:21 AM »
i c.. love how this thread was "started" by me... kids are def expensive... although i dont think i wud start a thread bout it.
It was just asking to be split off so it just took your subtitle.
Fun discussion though :)

Offline eliteflyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 12:52:25 PM »
How can you do just 2 years of zal before shlichus and smicha? 3, sure, but 2?

If you do smicha at the Yeshiva that you did Zal in (i.e Morristown), you even could get away with 1 year of zal + 1 year of smicha + 1 year on shlichus + 1 year of credit "received" from a mesivta (not sure how that works, but I have credits on my transcript from mesivta) = enough credit hours for a BA with a great GPA with a cost of about 16k (at least when I graduated, smicha was only $1200 and a year of zal was about 15k)

MOtown counted the year of shlichus as a 30 credit year of studies. Keep in mind that you must be on campus for at least 2 academic years, but I digress.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 01:01:46 PM »
If you do smicha at the Yeshiva that you did Zal in (i.e Morristown), you even could get away with 1 year of zal + 1 year of smicha + 1 year on shlichus + 1 year of credit "received" from a mesivta (not sure how that works, but I have credits on my transcript from mesivta) = enough credit hours for a BA with a great GPA with a cost of about 16k (at least when I graduated, smicha was only $1200 and a year of zal was about 15k)

MOtown counted the year of shlichus as a 30 credit year of studies. Keep in mind that you must be on campus for at least 2 academic years, but I digress.
Yes, but in order to get into Shiur Daled in Morristown you'll have already paid for 2 years of zal.
I don't think they'll accept you if you bummed around the other 2-3 years between mesivta and zal!