Author Topic: Will AMEX Platinum purchase protection help me here?  (Read 819 times)

Offline DaveInLA

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Will AMEX Platinum purchase protection help me here?
« on: November 14, 2015, 02:35:38 PM »
I just made a very large purchase at Restoration Hardware for my home. To maximize purchase protection, I used my AMEX Platinum card, which I've only had for 3-4 months. Now, 4 days after my purchase, I can get the items for ~$760 less. BUT it's not that straightforward.

I made the purchases (dining set, sideboard, sofa, etc.) when RH was advertising a 20% off everything sale. It was made in-store, and the salesperson had to enter in a code to get the 20% deduction. On top of that, I had a 33% off everything coupon (from a class-action lawsuit) that stacked with the 20%. The total was just over $14K.

The day after the 20% promo code ended, most of the items I bought went "on sale" (of course)to 10-20% off the full price (which is what I bought them at, before applying the 20% coupon). That's not a surprise. But today, RH is advertising a 10% off everything promo code that applies to sale items as well. If I were to buy the same items today, with the sale prices, 10% off promo, and the 33% off coupon (which I no longer have), it would be $760 less than I paid 4 days ago. It's not as straightforward as a simple price drop. The listed prices now are lower than when I bought them, but I used a 20% off promo. But the prices today PLUS the 10% off promo make them even lower now.

Does the AMEX Plat offer any sort of price protection in this situation? Thanks

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Will AMEX Platinum purchase protection help me here?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 07:39:24 PM »
No
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Will AMEX Platinum purchase protection help me here?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 08:54:31 PM »
Why the new thread?
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!