Author Topic: GOP Master thread  (Read 241963 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: GOP Master thread
« Reply #1720 on: June 14, 2016, 11:44:10 PM »
Is that your best argument?
Did you read more than just that post?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: June 14, 2016, 11:46:36 PM »
Did you read more than just that post?
Unfortunately

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: June 14, 2016, 11:49:43 PM »
Unfortunately
So then what exactly is your question?

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: June 15, 2016, 12:17:13 AM »
So then what exactly is your question?

Just look at how when everyone was laughing him off for GOP nomination he went and won big.

I'm assuming you realize there is little comparability between the republican nomination battle and the white house battle. As for some of the differences, consider:
1. Electoral math. Trump needs the vast majority of the swing states, many of which have a large number of minorities voting, to win. He polls poorly in many of those states.
2. More people identify as democrat than republican. Trump needs to beat Hillary among independents by a healthy margin. Now that Sanders appears to be supporting Hillary, Trump can count on losing the majority of his supporters (recent polls confirm this). This is in contrast to a month or two ago, when Sanders' supporters appeared more split, as he focused on attacking Hillary. This is a big loss for Trump
3. All major polls have been consistently trending toward Hillary. The result summary isn't as important as the trends in responses to several key questions, such as if you'd even consider voting for Trump vs. Hillary, likeability (which has a strong correlation with results), trust (Hillary's weak area, where she's nearly even with trump), etc. And general election polls are much more accurate than primary polls.
4. Trump is now being vetted like a real candidate. Despite the fact that Bush and co spend a significant amount of money to try and defeat him, he wasn't attacked by the media and press as much (and as effectively) as Trump is currently being attacked.
5. Trump benefited significantly from being the first presumptive nominee, but that advantage is now over

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: June 15, 2016, 12:29:09 AM »
I'm assuming you realize there is little comparability between the republican nomination battle and the white house battle. As for some of the differences, consider:
1. Electoral math. Trump needs the vast majority of the swing states, many of which have a large number of minorities voting, to win. He polls poorly in many of those states.
2. More people identify as democrat than republican. Trump needs to beat Hillary among independents by a healthy margin. Now that Sanders appears to be supporting Hillary, Trump can count on losing the majority of his supporters (recent polls confirm this). This is in contrast to a month or two ago, when Sanders' supporters appeared more split, as he focused on attacking Hillary. This is a big loss for Trump
3. All major polls have been consistently trending toward Hillary. The result summary isn't as important as the trends in responses to several key questions, such as if you'd even consider voting for Trump vs. Hillary, likeability (which has a strong correlation with results), trust (Hillary's weak area, where she's nearly even with trump), etc. And general election polls are much more accurate than primary polls.
4. Trump is now being vetted like a real candidate. Despite the fact that Bush and co spend a significant amount of money to try and defeat him, he wasn't attacked by the media and press as much (and as effectively) as Trump is currently being attacked.
5. Trump benefited significantly from being the first presumptive nominee, but that advantage is now over
I don't think that you followed what I was writing at all and totally missed the boat on what I was trying to say. My point is that his unconventional style, which many here (myself included) find repulsive, may not be the lightweight insanity you think it is and the support for that is that it work against what is arguably the strongest R lineup in a long time. Will it work in the general? Maybe not, but that has nothing at all to do with my point.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 12:38:22 AM by aygart »

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #1725 on: June 15, 2016, 12:30:25 AM »
I don't think that you followed what I was writing at all and totally missed the boat on what I was trying to say.

I followed what you wrote. It's possible that's different from what you meant.

Offline JTZ

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: June 15, 2016, 12:33:14 AM »
Is that your best argument?
Will I disagree with most of his posts that is one strong argument.
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: June 15, 2016, 12:35:41 AM »
And I don't think most people will agree with your claim that trump has been acting with a legitimate strategy in mind. His campaign staff sure doesn't. I know a number of people that have dealt with him personally

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: June 15, 2016, 12:40:38 AM »
And I don't think most people will agree with your claim that trump has been acting with a legitimate strategy in mind. His campaign staff sure doesn't. I know a number of people that have dealt with him personally
WHether people will agree or not is a losing argument with me. I don't know that he is, but Scott Adams sure is making a good argument for it.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: June 15, 2016, 12:41:56 AM »
WHether people will agree or not is a losing argument with me. I don't know that he is, but Scott Adams sure is making a good argument for it.

Sorry - that wasn't supposed to send I'm tying w sprained wrist and will continue hopefully over the next few days

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: June 15, 2016, 01:05:50 AM »
BTW, note the edit here.
I don't think that you followed what I was writing at all and totally missed the boat on what I was trying to say. My point is that his unconventional style, which many here (myself included) find repulsive, may not be the lightweight insanity you think it is and the support for that is that it work against what is arguably the strongest R lineup in a long time. Will it work in the general? Maybe not, but that has nothing at all to do with my point.

Online Moshe123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 06:21:11 PM by aygart »

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: June 15, 2016, 06:26:20 PM »
Im voting gary johnson

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1734 on: June 20, 2016, 09:29:34 PM »
He can't win the GOP nomination because he's not extreme like the other guys and that's what the base wants right now. Doesn't matter what kind of campaign he would run.
But there's a reason he's the only one that dominates Clinton in the national polls when the other guys don't. The R base is too small and it's only shrinking.

With Trump or Cruz you're going to see a landslide D victory (assuming that Hillary doesn't get indicted before November). Take it to the bank.

In all likelihood this will be the biggest electoral landslide since the 80s and the biggest D landslide since 1964. Trump doesn't have a shot, Clinton will draw from Ds, Is, and Rs.

I'm going to go on record disagreeing with you strongly on that  8)

This trend will continue, Trump will win handily.

I'd go and quote all the previous posts that said Trump will lose in a landslide but too lazy.

Still think I'm wrong?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: June 20, 2016, 09:47:44 PM »
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #1736 on: June 20, 2016, 09:51:05 PM »

Still think I'm wrong?

With out any debates  you can't really ask that yet. trump only started becoming popular due to the debates.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: June 20, 2016, 09:51:34 PM »
Yes.
I'll give you odds. I'm already invested heavily in this election and wouldn't mind increasing my position

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1738 on: June 20, 2016, 10:07:42 PM »
Not trying to settle anything, just wondering if you still have you head in the sand.

And Kasich would be leading Clinton right now, so I don't see how I was wrong there when Trump is getting clobbered.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: June 20, 2016, 10:12:19 PM »
Not trying to settle anything, just wondering if you still have you head in the sand.

And Kasich would be leading Clinton right now, so I don't see how I was wrong there when Trump is getting clobbered.
No sense in debating it now. Let's wait and see.

From what I've seen, Trump always seems to come out on top. I believe the same will happen in this election.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD