Author Topic: GOP Master thread  (Read 237263 times)

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Re: GOP Master thread
« Reply #960 on: April 05, 2016, 01:09:38 AM »
This January was pretty nice. Unexpected things happen.
Romney is a bad example. Obama's unpopularity then was worse than Clinton and Sanders right now. Anybody was supposed to be able to beat him. It should've been a shoo in.

Obama wasn't wildly unpopular in 2012. To the contrary, IMO he was significantly more popular then than Clinton is now. Romney wasn't a great candidate. However, one thing that killed him was he went all-in on how Obama was killing the economy and made promises that didn't come true. The economy did pretty well in the months leading up to the election.

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: April 05, 2016, 01:10:24 AM »
As opposed to Trump who has lied about everything, flip flopped on every position he has, tells crowds whatever he thinks they want to hear, and is more vindictive and childlike than anyone?

I'd stay home in November personally if that were the matchup.
I was never sure when public perception of Trump would change from the only guy not embarrassed or scared to say the truth; to the most unabashed and outrageous liar on the stage.
He's a different league liar, though. To him, the truth is simply irrelevant. He's not trying to hide from it; he couldn't care less about it. He's just as comfortable telling you 2+2=3 as he is telling you 2+2=4. I don't think people think of him as a sneaky liar. They see the truth as another politically correct nonsense people try sticking to others. He's the only one that doesn't bother getting dragged down by it. He really says what he believes, reality or fantasy.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #962 on: April 05, 2016, 01:18:10 AM »
He's a lunatic and a compulsive liar, simple as that.
And he'll probably come after me for saying that once he's elected ;)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online mgarfin

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: April 05, 2016, 09:07:52 AM »
For the life of mine I can't understand how people would vote for Hillary, forget about her emails, but someone who lied about the Benghazi attack is not eligible for this position. It just shows how she takes politics before anything. This is the last thing I wait to see from a president.

For the life of mine I can't understand how people would vote for Trump, for a time I was denying that there real ppl are voting for him.

Now I'm only sad, as this campaign brings out how easy it's to persuade people against others, as a Jew that scares me.

Offline churnbabychurn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: April 05, 2016, 09:17:02 AM »
And someone who filibusters for 21 hours doesn't take politics before anything? Both Clinton and Cruz are career politicians that have a history of lying to the American people. And Trump has a history of cheating people once it's too late to back down. I don't want any of them as my president.
+1

The USA is on a downward slope.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #965 on: April 05, 2016, 09:52:46 AM »
And someone who filibusters for 21 hours doesn't take politics before anything?
What does one have to do with the other? When Rand Paul filibustered the NSA bill he brought attention to the level of surveillance . Of course there is politics in a political body like the senate. Putting politics before anything means someone who compromises their principals for politics or has none in the first place. How does a filibuster show that?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #966 on: April 05, 2016, 09:54:42 AM »
What does one have to do with the other? When Rand Paul filibustered the NSA bill he brought attention to the level of surveillance . Of course there is politics in a political body like the senate. Putting politics before anything means someone who compromises their principals for politics or has none in the first place. How does a filibuster show that?

Or takes advantage of the political system to achieve his "principles". Both are bad.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #967 on: April 05, 2016, 09:56:44 AM »
Or takes advantage of the political system to achieve his "principles". Both are bad.
Why? Wouldn't you be electing someone for their principals?

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #968 on: April 05, 2016, 10:03:55 AM »
Why? Wouldn't you be electing someone for their principals?

I'd rather vote for someone whos principles include acting with integrity, including as someone in the political system. I think Cruz is better than Trump, but don't kid yourself into thinking he isn't a sleazy politician. Example: what he did to Carson in Iowa. While we might never know if he knew about the pamphlets before they were sent out, he is responsible for his campaign.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #969 on: April 05, 2016, 10:06:43 AM »
I'd rather vote for someone whos principles include acting with integrity, including as someone in the political system. I think Cruz is better than Trump, but don't kid yourself into thinking he isn't a sleazy politician. Example: what he did to Carson in Iowa. While we might never know if he knew about the pamphlets before they were sent out, he is responsible for his campaign.
Of course he is a politician. That is the only way to get things done. Trump is a sleazier poilitian than any of them. Carson may not have been a politician but look what happened to him. It was as if he didn't exist.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #970 on: April 05, 2016, 10:09:55 AM »
Of course he is a politician. That is the only way to get things done. Trump is a sleazier poilitian than any of them. Carson may not have been a politician but look what happened to him. It was as if he didn't exist.

I don't disagree with what you say about Trump. Even when he wasn't in politics, he made a career out of telling people what they want to hear only to stab them in the back later.

Question for you: If the Cruz cheating story doesn't stop by August, do you still think he should be the nominee? True or not, it can present a tremendous liability for him and the GOP.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #971 on: April 05, 2016, 10:11:58 AM »
I don't disagree with what you say about Trump. Even when he wasn't in politics, he made a career out of telling people what they want to hear only to stab them in the back later.

Question for you: If the Cruz cheating story doesn't stop by August, do you still think he should be the nominee? True or not, it can present a tremendous liability for him and the GOP.
It stopped already.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #972 on: April 05, 2016, 10:14:18 AM »
It stopped already.

That's definitely not true.

Offline Ephcc90

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: April 05, 2016, 10:27:14 AM »

I love the double standard that when Trump takes advantage of the system it's because he's a "winner" but when Cruz does it he's a cheater.

Personally, I really admire how shrewd Cruz is and couldn't care less how he gets his votes. It doesn't scare you Trump supporters how incompetent he seems to be handling the behind the scenes side of the campaign despite always hiring "the best people"?

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #974 on: April 05, 2016, 10:29:39 AM »
I love the double standard that when Trump takes advantage of the system it's because he's a "winner" but when Cruz does it he's a cheater.

Personally, I really admire how shrewd Cruz is and couldn't care less how he gets his votes. It doesn't scare you Trump supporters how incompetent he seems to be handling the behind the scenes side of the campaign despite always hiring "the best people"?

Eh, I think many of the "incompetence behind the scenes" is done deliberately. He's a master at manipulating the media and has always been. I do think his comments this past week will hurt him significantly, though.

Offline Buruch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #975 on: April 05, 2016, 11:14:47 AM »

Being a politician without "principles" and working "in the political system" is what got us into this mess in the first place.

@Dan, while Kasich did cut some taxes, he also raised others for you guys. Granted, it was a net cut. However, he also expanded medicaid as part of obamacare - that's a long-term issue that you guys will have to deal with. It's costing OH much more than Kasich projected (as do all gov programs), and is getting more and more expensive. That's growing government. If you net the tax cut with the medicaid expansion, is that a net gain for OH, or net loss? And he thinks those opposed to that are going to hell. If Rs won't vote for Kasich, but Ds will, doesn't that say something?

How do all the Kasich guys propose to pay off the skyrocketing debt? We're currently adding .5 trillion+ per year on top of the 19 already accumulated. And that will get worse as more boomers retire. At some point we turn into Greece, and everything will collapse. When do you you think that is, and how do we prevent that?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 11:24:21 AM by Buruch »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #976 on: April 05, 2016, 11:18:26 AM »
Push come to shove, do you want Clinton or Kasich in the WH?
Kasich eliminated taxes on small businesses, drove down income brackets, etc. He's been vetted twice and won in landslides in a swing state. Maybe it takes a compassionate conservative to win the WH back?

Cruz and Trump and seriously flawed candidates. They have no electoral path to the WH even against someone as flawed as Clinton.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #977 on: April 05, 2016, 11:26:07 AM »
My problem with Kasich is he won't do anything to repeal ObamaCare or the Iran deal. Something the other R's said they would do.

Although yesterday is said some very pro-Israel things, so that's good.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 11:29:24 AM by jj1000 »
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: April 05, 2016, 11:31:01 AM »
Something the other R's said they would do.
Talk is cheap. Neither will happen.

Offline Buruch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: April 05, 2016, 11:31:57 AM »
Push come to shove, do you want Clinton or Kasich in the WH?
Kasich eliminated taxes on small businesses, drove down income brackets, etc. He's been vetted twice and won in landslides in a swing state. Maybe it takes a compassionate conservative to win the WH back?

Cruz and Trump and seriously flawed candidates. They have no electoral path to the WH even against someone as flawed as Clinton.

Honestly, I don't think there would be much of a difference between Kasich and Hillary. Hillary may be a bit worse just because her base is pushing her, but they would both pretty much leave things as is. Kasich may get taxes back down to 35%, but that's too little too late. See my edit in last post, and the article I quoted a page or two back. I'd likely stay home if it was Kasich or Trump.