Author Topic: Hikind Wants to Boycott Amazon  (Read 5416 times)

Offline Could have been Dan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Hikind Wants to Boycott Amazon
« on: November 24, 2015, 05:23:51 PM »
from YWN:

Assemblyman Dov Hikind (D-Brooklyn) is urging people to shop anywhere but Amazon this holiday season. Hikind is putting out this message in light of Amazon’s insensitive use of Nazi Germany and Imperial Japanese insignia all over the MTA Times Square shuttle train to promote one of their television shows.

“We live in a society where anything goes, with no regard to the shock value. This PR campaign by Amazon is incredibly offensive and insensitive. Amazon knows exactly what they are doing. The pain they are causing by plastering the subway with Nazi regalia is disgusting. As the joyous holiday season approaches and people buy gifts for Chanukah and Christmas, I urge everyone to spend their money elsewhere—don’t buy from Amazon. Buy whatever you want, but at least once this season, say no to Amazon. Make them your last choice.”

To promote their television show Man in the High Castle, Amazon has blanketed symbols of Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan across buses, subway trains, and online ads.

- See more at: http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/headlines-breaking-stories/363666/hikind-say-no-to-amazon-this-holiday-season-disgusted-by-use-of-insensitive-nazi-insignia-as-part-of-pr-movie-campaign.html#sthash.xHpvX5fx.dpuf

I happened to watch the first 7 episodes, and it puts nazis in a very bad light and jews in a good light (it is co-produced by a jew)

Offline ShlockDoc

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Re: Hikind Wants to Boycott Amazon
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 05:26:17 PM »
from YWN:

Assemblyman Dov Hikind (D-Brooklyn) is urging people to shop anywhere but Amazon this holiday season. Hikind is putting out this message in light of Amazon’s insensitive use of Nazi Germany and Imperial Japanese insignia all over the MTA Times Square shuttle train to promote one of their television shows.

“We live in a society where anything goes, with no regard to the shock value. This PR campaign by Amazon is incredibly offensive and insensitive. Amazon knows exactly what they are doing. The pain they are causing by plastering the subway with Nazi regalia is disgusting. As the joyous holiday season approaches and people buy gifts for Chanukah and Christmas, I urge everyone to spend their money elsewhere—don’t buy from Amazon. Buy whatever you want, but at least once this season, say no to Amazon. Make them your last choice.”

To promote their television show Man in the High Castle, Amazon has blanketed symbols of Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan across buses, subway trains, and online ads.

- See more at: http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/headlines-breaking-stories/363666/hikind-say-no-to-amazon-this-holiday-season-disgusted-by-use-of-insensitive-nazi-insignia-as-part-of-pr-movie-campaign.html#sthash.xHpvX5fx.dpuf

I happened to watch the first 7 episodes, and it puts nazis in a very bad light and jews in a good light (it is co-produced by a jew)

Ugh, this culture of victimhood and nitpicky sensitivity is insane....

Offline Aaaron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 05:29:12 PM »
A.  They're taking the ads down.  http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/24/9793096/amazon-pulls-man-in-the-high-castle-nazi-subway-ads

B. People get too butthurt over these things.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 05:36:00 PM »
Do companies purposely use nazi & holocaust symbols to get everyone talking about it (PR), or are they really that clueless ?

Offline ShlockDoc

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 05:40:31 PM »
Do companies purposely use nazi & holocaust symbols to get everyone talking about it (PR), or are they really that clueless ?

Well, it is a show about nazis.  And a provocative show as well.  I think this was a great campaign and got people interested in the show.  People need to chill out...

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 05:43:18 PM »
Well, it is a show about nazis.  And a provocative show as well.  I think this was a great campaign and got people interested in the show.  People need to chill out...
I get that, but if a clothing company wants to put a star on, does it need to be yellow & look exactly like those stars ? Can't they use a different color or design ? They know there's still survivors alive.

I personally don't care, I was just wondering if its all about the PR.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 09:01:18 PM »

Just want to check with you if you have said the same thing about Black victimhood. Not that I support Hikind or anything, but just checking.

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 10:52:31 PM »
+100.

Dov hikind lives for such stuff

Offline htg123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 10:53:20 PM »
Gotta love Hikind...boycotting Amazon is almost as illogical as BDS...

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 10:55:01 PM »
+100.

Dov hikind lives for such stuff
He actually helps (and fights for) survivors all the time. His parents are survivors as well IINM.
But yes, boycotting amazon sounds silly.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 11:31:12 PM by TimT »

Offline mrprez27

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 11:12:26 PM »
Watched the show and have been following the news... interesting how long it took for the MTA thing to be picked up by the major networks ... it was first reported a few days ago on some random small blogs..

The idea of Nazi entertainment is very complex ... on one side its 100 percent NOT ok to wear a nazi costume (think the prince harry nazi costume scandal for Halloween).

Yet on the other side Nazi references are used a-lot in scifi..and culture and its accepted.

In one of the X-MEN it started off with a flashback during a concentration camp type of setting where the little (presumably jewish) boy was being pulled away from his mother and somehow he was pushed into a metal fence and his super strength caused it to bend...the degree of clear Nazi and Jew references in movies range from the above story, worse and "fake nazi" -- Think Hydra of the Avengers.

The show (Saw 1st two episodes) is fiction yet its clear their not making a fake "nazi" group...they want it to be realistic... in one point one of the main characters a Jew is thrown in a cell while his sister and her families are put in a "updated" gas chamber with a new "zclone b" ... One scene in the movie has the main character being pulled over by a cop on the country road... its raining ash... he asks "whats falling from the sky" ...  the cop answered something along the lines of.. "oh its Wednesday this is the day the nazis are burning the terminally ill and crippled".

Note: I may have gotten some of the story lines wrong and names...

--- All of what I have been speaking of is movie entertainment... the NAZI market though is huge .... not NEO-Nazis just people who love the history... Nazi coins sell all the time etc.

I am currently an undergrad in a New York University -  My sociology Prof. showed the class this video - its fascinating - I recommend it... its hows how Hitler has become a icon in many countries...this video shows Thailand

My opinion on the current issue is this : They changed the Swasticka to a cross for the public ads ... this doesn't make it really less tasteful but it still makes it less "nazi like" ... I would not boycott Amazon over this -> and my opinion is fighting something like this will just undermine more important fights.

Though it showed how stupid a lot of the media is -- many published that the symbol was showing as a swastika...which is not the case.

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 11:34:45 PM »
Am I the only one laughing at the Irony of it being Hikind behind this?  Remember this?

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 11:40:21 PM »
Am I the only one laughing at the Irony of it being Hikind behind this?  Remember this?

I thought that was much ado about nothing. Now if there would've been a noose around his neck, that would be baaad.

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 11:45:02 PM »
I thought that was much ado about nothing. Now if there would've been a noose around his neck, that would be baaad.

Because we're only really sensitive to our own issues.  When we disagree with others' sensitivities we have a "just suck it up" attitude. 

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 11:47:46 PM »
Because we're only really sensitive to our own issues.  When we disagree with others' sensitivities we have a "just suck it up" attitude.
I don't see being black as anything wrong. If someone wants to dress up as a jew on Halloween, I don't see anything wrong either.

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 11:49:12 PM »
+180
Hikind is a jewish politician. if he's not screaming at someone for antisemitism or toevah he thinks he's not doing his job. sad he can't find important things to do.

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 11:49:36 PM »
I don't see being black as anything wrong.

Neither do I, but that's not the point.  The black community takes blackface as an insult.  That should be enough.  Who are we to questions other people's/groups' sensitivities?

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015, 11:50:52 PM »
If amazon puts out a costume of a chossid, i don't know if he'll be pushing for a boycott.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline MosheD

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 02:01:42 AM »
I didn't know anything bout this but am an Amazon prime member (aren't we all) and saw this advertised on the homepage. Before drawing any conclusions I watched a couple of episodes.
It is definitely fiction, yet I still find it very distasteful. I don't find the "what if?" it is portraying at all entertaining. I think the artists sometimes forget that at the end of the day they are entertainers and instead go for something shocking and thought provoking.
I don't like it, and I support any logical campaign to end it. I sincerely hope it does not go to a second season and it ends as something Amazon is not proud of. That said, you can't boycott Amazon

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 07:25:34 AM »
I'm not sure if he knows about the concept of amazon sellers, but by boycotting amazon, a lot of people lose their livelihood, unzers included.