Author Topic: best bank or cash options  (Read 7098 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: best bank or cash options
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2008, 09:25:13 PM »
Chase actually does have the right to change WAMU's CD rate. However if they do you will have the right to opt-out of the CD penalty-free.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2008, 03:29:49 AM »
I think that once the money is in and the document is signed they can't get out of it no matter what. That's the whole point. If the rates go up you are locked in as well.

5% for just leaving your money somewhere is not bad if you don't need the money for something else. A good investment will pay 10-15% but it's risky. Here it's pretty much a guarantee (although with banks shutting down every day and the FDIC unsure if they can afford to insure everyone's money, I'm not sure if I should be making that statement).

The FDIC is backed by the government (which still has a solid credit rating, at least on paper). So I guess that means a CD is at least as safe as hording paper currency (since if the government went bust that would be worthless as well).

DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Eli

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2008, 02:52:19 PM »
The FDIC is backed by the government (which still has a solid credit rating, at least on paper). So I guess that means a CD is at least as safe as hording paper currency (since if the government went bust that would be worthless as well).
Probably true. I was just saying it because I remembered hearing or reading somewhere last week that if ALL the banks went bust, the FDIC would not have enough money in their fund to cover everything.

Don't shoot the messenger :)
-Eli

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2008, 02:59:19 PM »
Probably true. I was just saying it because I remembered hearing or reading somewhere last week that if ALL the banks went bust, the FDIC would not have enough money in their fund to cover everything.

Don't shoot the messenger :)
Technically speaking even if one major bank went bust the FDIC couldn't cover it.
The FDIC has about $45B in their fund, Citibank's US deposits dwarf that figure.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Eli

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2008, 12:26:14 PM »
I'm really upset. I was about to deposit a very large sum of money into this CD, and today they changed their rates to 2.96% for 12 months instead of 4.98%!!!

There's a reason for everything. Sometimes we just don't see it. Keep the faith.
-Eli