Topic Wiki

Summer 2014 - Coors Factory Tour, Celestial Seasonings Tea Factory Tour, Buffalo Bill's Museum & Grave, Vail (in the summer), Piney River Ranch, Denver Zoo, Cave of the Winds, East Side Kosher Deli, Brooklyn Pizza and Bonnie Brae Ice Cream.
Thanksgiving 2015 - Denver Museum of Natural History, Bonnie Brae
December 2015 - Denver Aquarium, Bonnie Brae, East Side Kosher Deli, Brooklyn Pizza, Outlets at Castle Point, Monaco Lanes, Colorado Adventure Park - snow tubing
Pesach 2016 - Breckenridge, Grand Lodge on Peak 7
Labor Day 2016 - Seven Falls
Pesach 2017 - Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
Pesach 2018 - Avon, Sheraton Lakeside Terrace Villas
July 4th 2018 - Garden of the Gods
Pesach 2019 - Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, Betty Ford Botanical Gardens
Summer 2019 - Garden of the Gods, St. Mary's Glacier Hike
Succos 2019, Succos 2020, Pesach 2021 - Lower Maxwell Falls Trail, Evergreen Lake, Lake Dillon, Aqua Mini Golf
« Last edited by @Yehuda on July 14, 2021, 03:36:23 PM »

Author Topic: @Yehuda's Trips to DEN  (Read 36883 times)

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
@Yehuda's Trips to DEN
« on: December 02, 2015, 02:00:34 PM »
Since I started dating my wife 2.5 years ago, I've been to Denver 11 times (as of Nov '15) and expect many more trips to come iy"h. In fact, flying to Denver was actually the main reason I started getting into the credit card game. Southwest and the Companion Pass have been absolutely invaluable to us during our travels, saving us over $3000 on tickets for my wife that we simply didn't have to pay for (aside from the $5.60 taxes). Most of our trips were short Shabbos/Yom Tov stays, which don't give much to write about, but I figured I'd keep a collection of the trips which we've actually done activities on.

Ah, Colorado, how beautiful you are.

Here is my TR from our Summer 2014 trip with a drop about one of my Summer 2013 trips. In that TR, I covered Coors Factory, Celestial Seasonings Tea Factory, Buffalo Bill's Museum & Grave, Vail (in the summer), Piney River Ranch, Denver Zoo, Cave of the Winds, East Side Kosher Deli, Brooklyn Pizza and Bonnie Brae Ice Cream.

Up next: Thanksgiving 2015

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
Re: @Yehuda's Trips to DEN
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 02:02:56 PM »
Thanksgiving 2015

I booked this trip back in August, and as SW usually goes, if you book 6-8 weeks in advance, you can generally find very cheap rates. The RT EWR-DEN cost about 28K and with the magical CP, that's 7K per person each way - a steal! These pictures are my first TR pictures taken with an iPhone 6S. I personally think they're better than the pictures from my iPhone 5 - let me know what you think.

Thanksgiving, Thursday, 11/26
I checked in for the flight exactly 24 hours before and got boarding numbers in the A50 range - not bad. We couldn't fly until Thursday itself and flying on Thanksgiving day turned out to be quite normal, as most travellers likely flew to their destinations on Wednesday night. After leaving the car at my mother's house, she kindly drove us for the short trip to EWR. We got there 1.5 hours before the flight and without checking bags, already having our BPs printed and having TSA Precheck, we were at the gate with over an hour to spare. What can I say? We prefer to give ourselves extra time rather than rush. We picked up a Fresko sandwich from the market; they're pricey, but tasty, and it's especially convenient to have the Kosher option while travelling. Before we knew it, they called boarding, and we got seats next to each other pretty close to the front of the plane. Right on time, we backed away from the gate and took off.

The beautiful view of what must be Linden, NJ.

It was our pilot's retirement flight and boy did he land that bird smoothly to a round of applause. Upon entering DEN, we were shocked to see a new airport kiosk.

I wasn't familiar with Coffee Beans that don't have a Hechsher, so we decided not to get anything. Now I know that the drinks are Kosher everywhere and only the food products need to be avoided. Good to know for next time!

Thankfully we had just slight turbulence and no delay on our flight despite landing in snowy Denver. It was our first snow of the winter - and interestingly my first time being in Denver when it was snowing! - and boy, it's much nicer here than in NYC.

After a sumptious Thanksgiving dinner prepared by my MIL, I was hoping to meet up with a Denverite DDFer, but alas, the travel + food knocked me out.

Black Friday, 12/27
Having bought the printer I needed a few days ago, there was nothing really on my shopping list for today. After Shacharis at the East Denver Orthodox Synagogue (EDOS), we headed to the Denver Museum of Natural History, specifically for the temporary Sherlock Holmes exhibit.

We got there a bit early, so we had time to revisit some of DW's fond childhood memories of the museum, including dinosaurs (!) mummies and gems/mines.

Brachiosaurus

Woolly Mammoth

Our Zaidah? ::)

Crazy how her teeth and eyelashes are still intact!

Stalactites and stalagmites

Seeing these exhibits took less than 30 minutes. Once it was our scheduled time for Sherlock Holmes, we headed that way. The exhibit first goes through Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's character creation process, where he was influenced from, etc. and shows up some original handwritten copies of his books. After that, the displays teach you different investigative techniques in preparation for a case you have to solve.

Learn Morse code at the telegraph display.

Once you've picked up all your skills you head to Sherlock Holmes' apartment, where you hone your skills a bit more.

After that, you're taken to the scene of a crime where you need to study certain aspects like the splatter of blood on a wall and dragged footsteps.

Then it was time to test theories by seeing for example, how blood looks when it drips from a cut versus being shot forth from a bullet impact and how footsteps look when being dragged versus running away.

At the big reveal, you just look kinda confused as you never would have guessed who was the culprit. Nu nu, it was a fun exhibit. My only complaint is that it was too crowded. There were way too many people at each station throughout the exhibit, which made the interactive displays hard to use. At the end, there were some displays showing props from the different Holmes' movies/TV shows.

The original Beats by Dr. Dre?

After the museum, we were hungry but with Shabbos so soon, getting a full meal didn't make sense. Have no fear, winter and snow can't stop us from getting Bonnie Brae. ;D

So many fresh, homemade flavors. How to choose??

As always, the ice cream didn't disappoint.

Shabbos was very nice with family, even with the frigid temperatures on the walks to Shul. On Motzai Shabbos - Israel time - I had a fellow, kind DDFer check in for our Sunday morning SW flights for us. Despite checking in exactly 24 hours before, we still somehow got B30s. Must have been a lot of people who paid extra for EarlyBird Checkin.

Sunday, 11/29[/u]
On Sunday morning, we said our goodbyes and headed to DEN. This was our first trip where we couldn't see the Rockies at all during our stay, but we did get to see the airport's first on-premises hotel finally open - the Westin.

Bad quality, I know.

DEN airport, with it's snow-capped mountain roof and the Westin in the background.

Without checking bags, quickly printing BPs at the self-checkin kiosk and TSA Precheck, we were at the train to the terminals in no time. We had less time at the airport than we did in EWR, so we were boarding the plane shortly after arriving. This was my first time that I recall a flight I was on offering to bump a passenger, but $300 wasn't enough to make us wait around all day and then land in LGA 2 hours from my parked car in Jersey. SW offers free live TV and on a winter Sunday, it's awesome to catch the entire Giants game from the moment you step on the plane all the way till landing. (Tough loss :() My mother picked us up and before we knew it, we were heading back home.

Another fun trip to DEN!

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 02:10:01 PM »
Nice! Thanks for sharing

Offline shwarmabob

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 02:30:38 PM »
Nice pics and TR!

Offline Joe4007

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 03:03:54 PM »

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 07:48:20 PM »
Nice TR.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 02:14:53 PM »
Thanks y'all.

Offline zow

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 11:10:16 PM »
Thanks for another great TR.

I enjoyed, "The original Beats by Dr. Dre?"

Great to know about Bonnie Brae ice cream -- looks delicious.

Shabbat Shalom.

Offline Denverite

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 11:31:02 PM »

Shabbat Shalom.

Bonnie Brae is good but I think the new kosher icecream shop is way better.  Next time check out Highpoint Creamery right across from EDOS, where you davened.  Now you've got another reason to come back!  Everything they make is ridiculously good including their ones made from Coconut milk and sorbets (DE)...we enjoyed those after our turkey on Thanksigivng and everyone said they are literally the best non-dairy icecream they've ever had!

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 09:45:46 AM »

Shabbat Shalom.

Bonnie Brae is good but I think the new kosher icecream shop is way better.  Next time check out Highpoint Creamery right across from EDOS, where you davened.  Now you've got another reason to come back!  Everything they make is ridiculously good including their ones made from Coconut milk and sorbets (DE)...we enjoyed those after our turkey on Thanksigivng and everyone said they are literally the best non-dairy icecream they've ever had!
My wife refuses to go to Highpoint. After growing up on Bonnie Brae, she can't fathom that another place could be better.  ;D At least from the looks of the places, BB feels much more homey than Highpoint. My SIL has tried both and said BB is better, so that's another factor keeping us at BB. But good to know that another person thinks Highpoint is good!

Offline Denverite

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 09:30:45 PM »
My wife refuses to go to Highpoint. After growing up on Bonnie Brae, she can't fathom that another place could be better.  ;D At least from the looks of the places, BB feels much more homey than Highpoint. My SIL has tried both and said BB is better, so that's another factor keeping us at BB. But good to know that another person thinks Highpoint is good!

Lol, I know everyone is loyal to Bonnie Brae but tell them they at least gotta let you try the new place ;)

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 09:31:38 PM »
Lol, I know everyone is loyal to Bonnie Brae but tell them they at least gotta let you try the new place ;)
Heh, I may have to sneak out on my own one night.

Offline Yuey

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 06:05:41 AM »
Nice! Thanks for sharing. There's really no place on earth like Colorado!

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 07:46:34 AM »
Nice! Thanks for sharing. There's really no place on earth like Colorado!
My wife agrees. :D

See you soon, CO!

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 04:09:17 PM »

Good Shabbos!

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 04:16:22 PM »
Good Shabbos!
Good Shabbos! 
#Jealous

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2015, 04:26:27 PM »
Good Shabbos! 
#Jealous
Thanks, hehe.

Wow, Tapatalk really kills a pic, eh?

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2015, 04:28:00 PM »
Thanks, hehe.

Wow, Tapatalk really kills a pic, eh?
Still looks better than Brooklyn. :)

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2015, 04:29:17 PM »
Still looks better than Brooklyn. :)
;D doesn't take much for that.

Offline Mountain Man

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2015, 02:45:46 AM »

Good Shabbos!
You always get great pics of the front range from Peņa. Enjoy Hawaii.
Quote from: JTZ link=topic=10531.msg1695873
If you never had to eat crow then you lived one boring life.