Topic Wiki

Author Topic: The Two-Stop Pacific Hop: Bora Bora & Melbourne (A Mrs. AJK Special)  (Read 104070 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: The Two-Stop Pacific Hop: Bora Bora & Melbourne (A Mrs. AJK Special)
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2015, 12:37:00 AM »
IINM he was booked on TN and there was a cancellation (or something like that), so he got rebooked onto AF.

Bingo.

Though, it is possible to book AF J straight out using DL.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
Re: The Two-Hop Pacific Stop: Bora Bora & Melbourne (A Mrs. AJK Special)
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2015, 01:27:48 AM »
Incredible TR, as always. Wonderful pictures as well (is it just me or did the quality level of TR pictures around here increase exponentially in the last year or so? Compare these to, for example, your HKG TR).

Something tells me that this TR will end up hurting my wallet eventually ;)...

Due to a small snafu having to do with a misplaced camera lid, we deplaned with some of the last people left on the flight. [AJK: Seriously, anyone with the Sony Alpha line should understand this irritating eventuality, but why in the world did Sony not include a string to attach the lens cap to the camera?!  >:( >:( >:( This boggles the mind and frustrates me to no end.]

The reason for a string not being included is because the only thing more annoying than losing a lens cap is having it dangle from your camera at all times.

You want my advice? Throw your lens cap down a well and never look back. The only things lens caps are good for is for forgetting to take them off and missing the shot, or losing them constantly. People don't understand a. how resilient the front element of a lens is, and b. how utterly inconsequential a scratch on a lens is.

Here's an exercise: take a piece of post-it note around 1/4" square and stick it over the center of your lens. Set your camera to a large aperture (small number) and take a random picture. Now look at the result - nine out of ten times you'd never know that there's a blob of yellow paper stuck on the lens. Now of course this is an extreme example; if you'd use a smaller aperture it may begin to be noticeable. But the point is that it takes an incredibly large imperfection to show up in your pictures. A whole bunch of pictures in my Alaska TR were taken by a lens that not only was it scratched up, but it actually had a chip in it - a chuck of glass around 1/2x1/8" was actually missing. Did anyone notice? I think not. I looked for it and did not find any indication, not even once.

The other point is that lenses are made out of thick, hardened glass. On top of that they have multiple layers of coatings (usually around 12-16), the outermost of which provide an additional hardened and protective layer. Take a blade to your lens (don't :o!) and you'll see how difficult it is to scratch it.

I've been lens cap-free for years, and not once did I regret it. My lens hoods never come off, and these protect the lens from 90% of the scary world already. My only caveat is a particularly wide and bulbous lens, such as the Nikon 14-24 or the GoPro. These lenses if kept uncovered will always bump into things, and due to their particular shape it'll always be on the same spot. Not that even a significant scratch will be visible on those; it's just that due to their wide angle of view light will often be hitting them at an acute angle, which may strike the scratch and create a tiny reflection. But for regular lenses, ditch the lens cap and keep the hood on. It'll change your (photographic) life.

You're welcome ;).
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2015, 01:29:16 AM »
If you insist, though, you could buy a Cap Keeper for all of seventy-three cents.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 02:15:02 AM by Something Fishy »

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2015, 02:04:12 AM »
Can you now answer the million dollar question, the question that you spent a lot of time debating on two or three separate threads on DDF.

How does BOB compare to MLE?

I also would love to know that answer to that question, so how do BOB and MLE compare?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: The Two-Hop Pacific Stop: Bora Bora & Melbourne (A Mrs. AJK Special)
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2015, 05:59:59 PM »
Incredible TR, as always. Wonderful pictures as well (is it just me or did the quality level of TR pictures around here increase exponentially in the last year or so? Compare these to, for example, your HKG TR).

Something tells me that this TR will end up hurting my wallet eventually ;)...

Thanks. Yes, I personally believe my photos have gotten better for a couple reasons, not the least of which having some proper tutelage :P

And, just wait, if you think these pics are good, BOB is a place that will make me look like Ansel Adams.

The reason for a string not being included is because the only thing more annoying than losing a lens cap is having it dangle from your camera at all times.

You want my advice? Throw your lens cap down a well and never look back. The only things lens caps are good for is for forgetting to take them off and missing the shot, or losing them constantly. People don't understand a. how resilient the front element of a lens is, and b. how utterly inconsequential a scratch on a lens is.

Here's an exercise: take a piece of post-it note around 1/4" square and stick it over the center of your lens. Set your camera to a large aperture (small number) and take a random picture. Now look at the result - nine out of ten times you'd never know that there's a blob of yellow paper stuck on the lens. Now of course this is an extreme example; if you'd use a smaller aperture it may begin to be noticeable. But the point is that it takes an incredibly large imperfection to show up in your pictures. A whole bunch of pictures in my Alaska TR were taken by a lens that not only was it scratched up, but it actually had a chip in it - a chuck of glass around 1/2x1/8" was actually missing. Did anyone notice? I think not. I looked for it and did not find any indication, not even once.

The other point is that lenses are made out of thick, hardened glass. On top of that they have multiple layers of coatings (usually around 12-16), the outermost of which provide an additional hardened and protective layer. Take a blade to your lens (don't :o!) and you'll see how difficult it is to scratch it.

I've been lens cap-free for years, and not once did I regret it. My lens hoods never come off, and these protect the lens from 90% of the scary world already. My only caveat is a particularly wide and bulbous lens, such as the Nikon 14-24 or the GoPro. These lenses if kept uncovered will always bump into things, and due to their particular shape it'll always be on the same spot. Not that even a significant scratch will be visible on those; it's just that due to their wide angle of view light will often be hitting them at an acute angle, which may strike the scratch and create a tiny reflection. But for regular lenses, ditch the lens cap and keep the hood on. It'll change your (photographic) life.

You're welcome ;).

Ahh, you have put my mind at ease. I will not be spending $10 to replace the lost cap this time! I will keep in case and be careful when it's out.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2015, 06:00:43 PM »
Can you now answer the million dollar question, the question that you spent a lot of time debating on two or three separate threads on DDF.

How does BOB compare to MLE?

I also would love to know that answer to that question, so how do BOB and MLE compare?

A fair question, the answer to which will come in good time.

This is Mrs. AJK's show.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2015, 06:58:07 PM »
A fair question, the answer to which will come in good time.

This is Mrs. AJK's show.

Ok fine, we'll wait here patiently for the official pronouncement on the BOB/MLE debate from Mrs. AJK (I was being polite not to mention it but you know we all love her TRs and honestly think value her opinion the most anyway)!  ;) 8) ;D

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2015, 06:59:19 PM »
value her opinion the most anyway)!  ;) 8) ;D

Anything else would be foolish :P

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2015, 08:50:03 PM »
Great TR so far!
Did they ask for your PADI ID?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2015, 08:59:44 PM »
Yep.

Offline lunatic

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2015, 09:02:21 PM »
Thanks all! Mrs. AJK is inspired by your kind comments and she's furiously writing the rest.
Hope she is doing it at work as well

Offline TimT

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2015, 09:23:47 PM »
Great TR, thanks. Those pics out the plane window are absolutely breathtaking!

Offline yakrot

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2015, 12:47:34 AM »
This trip report kinda makes me forget that sf and the crew are still leaving me hanging in middle of the Iceland tr

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2015, 10:50:56 AM »
Thanks. Yes, I personally believe my photos have gotten better for a couple reasons, not the least of which having some proper tutelage :P

And, just wait, if you think these pics are good, BOB is a place that will make me look like Ansel Adams.

Well that's aspirational ;D

Looking forward.

Ahh, you have put my mind at ease. I will not be spending $10 to replace the lost cap this time! I will keep in case and be careful when it's out.

I don't want to take this TR too far off topic, there's more discussion of this subject here.

Offline Sholom123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2015, 08:11:30 AM »
Am I the only one who checks every hour for the next installment?

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2015, 08:20:11 AM »
Am I the only one who checks every hour for the next installment?
Yes. Everyone else just has thread alerts set

Offline E-MAN

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2015, 01:26:49 PM »
Wow! Can't wait for the rest

Offline Sholom123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2015, 03:56:27 PM »
Haha.
You know what I mean.

Offline Luvtotravel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2015, 01:36:54 AM »
Yes. Everyone else just has thread alerts set
doesnt that alert you every time any comment comes in (like this one  :P)?
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline D93

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2015, 02:40:29 AM »
Great TR so far!
Did they ask for your PADI ID?
Yep.
When and where did you get certified?