Topic Wiki

Author Topic: The Two-Stop Pacific Hop: Bora Bora & Melbourne (A Mrs. AJK Special)  (Read 102753 times)

Offline CS91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: The Two-Stop Pacific Hop: Bora Bora & Melbourne (A Mrs. AJK Special)
« Reply #100 on: December 14, 2015, 12:15:07 PM »
This TR is kind of making me less excited for my trip to MLE and has me wishing that I had booked BOB instead...  :(

Offline Hershelsdeals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2015, 12:15:16 PM »
Do you snorkel/dive?
Yes, but there are nicer, easier and cheaper places to dive, do people really go to MLE just for the snorkel/diving?

Offline Hershelsdeals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 14, 2015, 12:18:04 PM »
Oh, that's your question? That one is easy.

No. BOB does not dwarf MLE as CUN would dwarf Coney Island beach. Not even close.

(But, why are we taking away the advantages of MLE? That's like asking, "If you took away Michael Jordan's height, his right arm, and his sight, could you beat him in a one-on-one?")

Back to regularly scheduled programming :)

I don't think anyone argues here. BOB is prettier than MLE and MLE has the better premium cabins and OWB options.

But no way is MLE Coney Island Beach. It's just not as heavenly looking as BOB.
In other words, will i find MLE boring after visiting BOB ( without the premium cabins being part of the argument)
 Like this guy is afraid of.

This TR is kind of making me less excited for my trip to MLE and has me wishing that I had booked BOB instead...  :(

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2015, 12:21:23 PM »
Yes, but there are nicer, easier and cheaper places to dive, do people really go to MLE just for the snorkel/diving?
People go to relax and have an OWB.
The incredible snorkeling/diving is a bonus.

Yes it will be similar to BOB if you had an OWB with a pool there.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2015, 02:02:45 PM »
do you really travel with Tabasco sauce wherever you go?

No, but I do take sriracha everywhere.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2015, 02:04:43 PM »
I love this thread- can't wait for more Mrs. AJK commentary and AJK pictures. Planning for BOB myself now (and at an IHG hotel) so love all the details.

Can you comment a little more on the food situation also? I'll probably be coming from SYD so I don't think I'll have access to POM meals- is French Polynesia pretty strict about bringing food in (non-packaged, etc)?

Absolutely no issue with bringing in Kosher food, just like MLE (minus the pork and alcohol).

There's a lot to be said for what's under the water at MLE

+100
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2015, 02:06:21 PM »

Are there nicer and cheaper places to dive than MLE? There are probably some, but not many.

And, yes, I'd say it's worth it to go to MLE just for diving, which was otherworldly.

Offline MC

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2015, 02:15:10 PM »
Gosh, you and my husband would get along so well.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2015, 02:17:26 PM »
Gosh, you and my husband would get along so well.

I choose my friends and business partners basically along these lines, so feel free to introduce us :P

I have a fundamental distrust for people who dislike Sriracha...

Offline benjie1305

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 14, 2015, 02:17:34 PM »

Certainly a must. Thus >> this
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 14, 2015, 02:17:50 PM »
I choose my friends and business partners basically along these lines, so feel free to introduce us :P

I have a fundamental distrust for people who dislike Sriracha...
Sriracha meatloaf ;)
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 14, 2015, 02:22:25 PM »
Certainly a must. Thus >> this

Chief, that wouldn't last me a week :P

Sriracha meatloaf ;)

Is that what made it spicy?? I knew I liked it.

Offline benjie1305

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 14, 2015, 02:27:02 PM »

Make this kosher please!
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline AJK

• View Profile

Offline Marco Polo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 14, 2015, 02:38:55 PM »

Is that what made it spicy?? I knew I liked it.
Amongst other spicy ingredients.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Dawie

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 14, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 14, 2015, 02:57:50 PM »
People go to relax and have an OWB.
The incredible snorkeling/diving is a bonus.

Yes it will be similar to BOB if you had an OWB with a pool there.

Ok back from the Siracha discussion to the MLE comparison (although benjie1305 thanks for the link to those keychains, those are ridiculously awesome)! ;)  I know when I was trying to decide, we went ahead and booked MLE because it just felt so much more private and exclusive.  Would you say that is correct? 

The pool in the OWB was definitely a factor but for example I was cracking up about Mrs. AJK's stray dog story but when I was deciding between the two locations, I wanted to get the full package couples "getaway" and have zero interest in any local "color" and thought that MLE would be better that way (the idea of taking a seaplane to the resort seems really cool and since I grew up overseas in third world countries, not interacting with people living in poverty or stray animals is super appealing to me also).  :P  Also were more people on the beaches and around in the hotels in BOB? 

From FT, it seemed like MLE would give the utmost privacy and many people noted that they never saw others on the beach or at all around the hotel (except in the restaurants) since the whole island is the resort.  So not just external beauty but from issue of privacy and exclusivity that contributes to the whole package on a couples vacation like this, which one do you think was better from that perspective?

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 14, 2015, 03:08:15 PM »
since I grew up in third world countries,
i agree Denver is bad, but that bad?  ;D

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 14, 2015, 03:12:32 PM »
Ok back from the Siracha discussion to the MLE comparison (although benjie1305 thanks for the link to those keychains, those are ridiculously awesome)! ;)  I know when I was trying to decide, we went ahead and booked MLE because it just felt so much more private and exclusive.  Would you say that is correct

The pool in the OWB was definitely a factor but for example I was cracking up about Mrs. AJK's stray dog story but when I was deciding between the two locations, I wanted to get the full package couples "getaway" and have zero interest in any local "color" and thought that MLE would be better that way (the idea of taking a seaplane to the resort seems really cool and since I grew up overseas in third world countries, not interacting with people living in poverty or stray animals is super appealing to me also).  :P  Also were more people on the beaches and around in the hotels in BOB? 

From FT, it seemed like MLE would give the utmost privacy and many people noted that they never saw others on the beach or at all around the hotel (except in the restaurants) since the whole island is the resort.  So not just external beauty but from issue of privacy and exclusivity that contributes to the whole package on a couples vacation like this, which one do you think was better from that perspective?

Nope.

If it's seclusion you're after, skip the Le Moana (or indeed any resort on Vaitape) and head to IHG Thalasso (or indeed any resort NOT on Vaitape).

You won't have to interact with anyone (or anything for that matter (including dogs)) other than the people who are paying $1,000/night, and even then, you probably won't see anyone unless you're at the main pool or restaurants.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #119 on: December 14, 2015, 03:14:52 PM »
Nope.

If it's seclusion you're after, skip the Le Moana (or indeed any resort on Vaitape) and head to IHG Thalasso (or indeed any resort NOT on Vaitape).

You won't have to interact with anyone (or anything for that matter, (including dogs)) other than the people who are paying $1,000/night, and even then, you probably won't see anyone unless you're at the main pool or restaurants.
Or 73 handwritten envelopes/night ;)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.