Topic Wiki

Join the widespread whatsapp group geared specifically for Kivrey Avot & Zadikim by clicking here

List of TR's:
CGR

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:
WARSAW:
Kosher Delight - http://www.kosherdelightpoland.com
Grzybowska 2, Warszawa, Poland - 1st floor.

Galil Restaurant - http://www.galil-restaurant.pl/
Zielna 37, 00-108 Warszawa, Poland

Taim - Offers catering, for 6 or more people according to it's website: http://koshercateringtaim.com.pl/o-nas/?lang=en

Shabbos
Chabad in warsaw offer shabbos meals by night and day - reservations in advance required and they have a suggested donation of $18 per person per meal.
Donate - http://www.chabad.org.pl/component/content/article/75-chabad-lubawicz/458-wsparcie

LODZ

KRAKOW

Synagogue:
WARSAW:
Noyzyk Shul English Website: http://warszawa.jewish.org.pl/en/nozyk-synagogue
Twarda 6, 00-001 Warszawa, Poland

Chabad Shul - English Website: http://www.chabad.org.pl/component/content/article/114-nieprzypisana/469-english
Zygmunta Słomińskiego 19, 00-001 Warszawa, Poland

Things to Do:
WARSAW:
You can visit The Noyzyk Shul:
•    from Monday to Friday at: 9.00 AM – 7.00 PM,
•    Sunday at 11.00 AM – 7.00 PM.
The cost of admission is 10 PLN.

Kevarim
Jewish cemetery near the Old Powazki. Established in 1809, it is one of the largest Jewish cemeteries in the world. Spread over an area of nearly 44,000 square feet (3160 square meters), the cemetery was left largely intact by the Nazis and includes the graves and tombs of a quarter of a million people, including the great Rabbanim of Warsaw as well as many secular giants in literature and the arts.

The Jewish Ghetto
The infamous Warsaw Ghetto, the scene of the only organized uprising.
On the left side of the Praga River, where the Ghetto used to be, you can visit several monuments commemorating the Jews of Warsaw, including the Monument over the Ghetto Heroes at Zamenhof Square, and Umschlagplatz, a memorial raised at the very spot where Warsaw Jews were gathered in 1943, loaded on cattle wagons and transported to the death camp at Treblinka. It is still possible to see how Jews lived in Warsaw ulica Prozna, a street left largely intact from before the Holocaust.

Hotels:
WARSAW:
Intercontinental - 5 min walk from the Noyzyk Shul

Getting Around:

Notes:

Helpful map of Kevorim and phone numbers

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zhZzyXUv-dV0.kYv6ziQDH_n8

Polish Kosher Food List https://www.koszernapolska.pl/
« Last edited by cgr on October 15, 2023, 07:20:01 PM »

Author Topic: Poland Master Thread  (Read 142736 times)

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
Re: Poland Master Thread
« Reply #100 on: December 30, 2012, 07:47:05 AM »
Any ideas for a cell rental for eastern europe?

I found it cheaper to buy local prepaid SIMs for each country.

Offline yid

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 30, 2012, 08:23:49 AM »
Thanks.
Is Warsaw safe?
What can I do with in a 4 hour stopover? any sights, addresses etc;
You can go to ger which is near the airport.

Offline U-no-me!

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 30, 2012, 01:57:21 PM »
You can go to ger which is near the airport.

Like how near?
Is there still anything to see in Ger?
Thanks!
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline U-no-me!

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2013, 06:30:06 PM »
In Warsaw you can go to:
"Umschlagplatz" it's the spot where about 300,000 jews were deported to the death camps.
The Nozyk shul located at Ul. Twarda. Before the war there were many Shul Bulding's and additionally there were aprox 300 - 400 Shtiblach (where the chasidim Davened)
The Warsaw cemetery (Ul. Okopowa) where over 250,000 jews are buried including such greats as R' Chaim Brisker and the Netziv. The cemetery was only 1 of many, it was only opened in 1806. Warsaw was aprox. 40% jewish before the war.

Alot of jewish history is close by, such as ger which is about 1 hour away, Aushwitz 3.5 hours etc;

Taxis are cheap but try to know what the aproximate price should be before getting in to a cab because they can really rip you off. The aprox fare from the airport to city center, jewish area is about 35 - 40 zloty definitel never more than 50 with heavy traffic.
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline chucksterace

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2013, 04:02:23 PM »
Have a 13hr layover 9am to 10pm at WAW in about two weeks. Anyone here have suggestions of what to do/see/ or where to eat in Warsaw? I would like to hopefully see the Warsaw ghetto, what else is worth seeing?

Also, anyplace to lock up carryon bags in the airport when I go out?
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2013, 04:07:52 PM »
Have a 13hr layover 9am to 10pm at WAW in about two weeks. Anyone here have suggestions of what to do/see/ or where to eat in Warsaw? I would like to hopefully see the Warsaw ghetto, what else is worth seeing?

Also, anyplace to lock up carryon bags in the airport when I go out?
What day of the week?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline chucksterace

• View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2013, 04:11:47 PM »
What day of the week?

I'll be there Wednesday July 24
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline chucksterace

• View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2013, 06:09:45 AM »
Any one here have a number of a tour guide for Warsaw for a few hours? And what would the cost be around?

If I take public transport is it easy to get around and find the sites?

Offline chucksterace

• View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2013, 10:57:12 AM »
Heres a quick trip report for my layover in Warsaw. Enjoy.

I had a layover in Warsaw on July 24th. After coming in from Chicago (ORD) on the Boeing 787 (I landed 9:30am) I had about a 13 hour layover till my flight to Tel Aviv (TLV) at 11PM. The plane was actually pretty good (I was in Business) and I do hope to fly on the 787 again soon. For the day I booked myself a room at the Sheraton Warsaw which I got on special for about 80 Polish Złoty which came to about $90. Well worth it.

To get from the airport to the hotel was about 30 Złoty. I checked in, they had a room available at 10AM so even better. After relaxing for a bit I went to do my touring. I visited the Nozyk Synagogue, the Jewish Cemetery, and the The Ghetto Wall. I took taxi's around the city to each place. They are all relatively close to from each place to each place it was about 10-15 Złoty.

The cemetery was BIG. The moment I walked in I just felt something and after a few minutes was over whelmed. It still amazes me how I could have walked around for hours and probably got lost someplace in it. The ghetto wall was just that, a piece of the wall that is being preserved and has a few signs and descriptions on/around it.

I started going around to these places at noon and got back to the hotel around 4:30. I stayed in the hotel till about 8:30 which I then took a taxi to the airport. The ride to and from the hotel is about 10-15 minutes from what I remember so you don't need a long layover to see some of the sights. The restaurant was closed/moving when I was there so I didn't get a chance to try it out.

Can someone please explain why LOT has the Titanic on their map? ???

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2013, 02:44:14 PM »
Nice TR, only 1 pic of the 787? :P

Online chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #110 on: August 09, 2013, 06:36:38 PM »
The cemetery was BIG.

I think its the biggest in Europe

Can someone please explain why LOT has the Titanic on their map? ???

Can you pls reload this pic? Very unclear

Offline Frostboot

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2014, 03:29:59 PM »
I will be in Warsaw and Krakow for a day each in about two weeks…I read previous posts but I am still unclear about a couple of points.

1. Is it worth it to hire a guide/driver or just go around on my own?  In Warsaw, I would like to visit the cemetery (Will it be easy to find R' Chaim and the Netziv?) and go to Gur (Will I be able to get in to the old beis medrash and the kevarim of the two rebbes on my own? I went once some years ago and there was an old polishe yid who opened things up for me for a couple of zloty). I have never been in Krakow before.

2. Whats the deal with Kosher food in Warsaw/Krakow? I see there is a place called Kosher delight. Has anyone had experience with them?

3. Does anyone have contact info for a cheap driver/guide in Warsaw and Krakow

Thanks in advance for the help.

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2014, 03:53:34 PM »
I will be in Warsaw and Krakow for a day each in about two weeks…I read previous posts but I am still unclear about a couple of points.

2. Whats the deal with Kosher food in Warsaw/Krakow? I see there is a place called Kosher delight. Has anyone had experience with them?

Was in Krakow a few years back, there was a Kosher restaurant running out of Eiziks Shul/Chabad House, The Holiday Inn also had Kosher meals by order.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2014, 05:27:34 PM »
theres a chabad in warsaw that sells kosher meals

Offline Chapshnell

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Skypesos, AA Shilling, AS Pounds.
« Reply #114 on: February 03, 2014, 02:48:02 PM »
I was in June of 2013 in Krakow, the Holiday Inn warmed up food I think it is from Chabad.
The service was good, just had to call in advance.
Going back this June again & I hope they still serve food

Offline boropark123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 03, 2014, 04:37:13 PM »

1. Is it worth it to hire a guide/driver or just go around on my own?  In Warsaw, I would like to visit the cemetery (Will it be easy to find R' Chaim and the Netziv?) and go to Gur (Will I be able to get in to the old beis medrash and the kevarim of the two rebbes on my own? I went once some years ago and there was an old polishe yid who opened things up for me for a couple of zloty). I have never been in Krakow before.

I was actually there last month, the kosher delight place is basically a restaurant that caters mainly for groups in the winter time, but if you call him, he will be more than glad to serve you a nice meal, for a good price. He's a very nice Israeli guy, we ate there a non dairy breakfast as well.

Offline boropark123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 03, 2014, 04:43:27 PM »

Regarding krakow I was there two years ago, we ate at a place called olive tree, food was phenomenal!!! Could easily compete with a ny restaurant! Although I'm not sure if they're still open.

I dont think a driver is necessary, we were there and used the app on google play store called "kosher trip advisor europe" and it actually worked very well and the cemetery poi's were very accurate.

Offline Frostboot

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 03, 2014, 07:48:49 PM »

I dont think a driver is necessary, we were there and used the app on google play store called "kosher trip advisor europe" and it actually worked very well and the cemetery poi's were very accurate.

How did you get around? Taxi?

Did you go to Aushwitz?

Offline boropark123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 03, 2014, 07:59:33 PM »

How did you get around? Taxi?

Did you go to Aushwitz?
No we rented a car.

Yes.