Author Topic: My Boston 2018 Summer trip  (Read 2885 times)

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
My Boston 2018 Summer trip
« on: October 19, 2018, 01:19:00 PM »
Here is my trip report for Boston 2018

Boston 2018
2 adults and 3 kids, 10,6, & 3

My wife has wanted to go to Boston for some time. We decided that we would go for 4 days and 3 nights.
We left Long Island on Sunday Morning. It took us way longer then expected but that is what happens when you have a 3 year old who needs multiple bathroom breaks.

We drove straight to Salem and toured the witch museum and the surrounding shops. We stopped at a wand store. It’s a very cute town. We also saw the Bewitched statue. The museum is a little scary and may not be suitable for all little kids. It’s mostly a tourist trap. There is also an art museum that is supposed to be good but we did not do that. It is about a half hour past Boston.

After doing research on a hotel in the city and we wanted a pool we decided to stay at the Hyatt Regency Boston. I thought originally we would need 2 rooms but then I posted on the Hyatt board. A member helped me out and transferred my 45k (15k a night) points to him who is a Globalist and paid him a $100. He booked 1 room which got upgraded to a king suite so we could all fit –the kids had a pull out couch and we had a separate king size bed-and we saved on points. A major benefit to being booked by a Globalist is the free valet parking with in and out privileges. Parking at the hotel was $40 overnight and $54 for valet. Parking in Boston is very expensive and this hotel was centrally located.

After going to the hotel we ate dinner in our room.  After dinner we went swimming.
The only complaint with the hotel was the pool. They have a saltwater pool, which personally we did not like. Besides for being saltwater it was not the nicest pool-one weird thing was no steps to get into the pool, they only have ladders. It was a little hard for my younger kids to get out.

We got free breakfast for being booked by a Globalist in the morning.  After breakfast we walked to Boston Common which was close to the hotel. We downloaded an app that explained all the stops on the Freedom Trail. We didn’t see every stop as some were in cemeteries and some were in churches. The kids really enjoyed it and the adults as well. It is a lot of walking so be prepared. We ate our pre-made sandwiches at Faneuil Hall and watched some of the street performers. The last stop we saw was the Paul Revere House. After that we walked back to our hotel. We then walked to Boston Public Garden and did the swan boats. The boats were very cute and were not that expensive. My wife and I were surprised that there was no line and how in NYC there would be a much bigger wait. After we walked to JP Licks, which was not as close as we thought. We Ubered back the hotel and then went to Taam China for dinner. It was very good food and very decently priced.  After dinner we went swimming again.

On Tuesday we drove to Fenway and took the tour of the stadium, which was fascinating and really cool to see the history of the stadium and the Red Sox. My son wore his Yankee t-shirt and the tour guide had fun with him.  The tour is not that long and you don’t get to see the locker rooms but you do see the oldest seats in the stadium behind home plate, the Green Monster, the Ted Williams seat and the press room. The tour is about 1 and ½ hours.  After the tour we went back to the hotel and rested. In the afternoon we went to the Boston Tea Party Museum and Boat. It’s a little bit expensive but it is very cute.  They have actors in costume. They reenact the Tea Party and every kid has a chance to throw tea overboard into the harbor. The whole thing is about 2 hours. The kids said it was the best thing they did in Boston. We then went back to JP Licks before dinner. We went to Rami’s for dinner. Decent food but long wait and not a lot of seating. After dinner we went back the hotel and went swimming.

On Wednesday we woke up late.  We walked to the Boston Public Garden and just hung out. There is a playground that the kids played on and beautiful grounds. We then walked to Milk Street Café for lunch. We got a pie of pizza that was good. Did not try any of their meat dishes. It was a little confusing about where you have to order everything but overall a very nice place to eat lunch. After lunch we went back to the hotel to pack up and leave. By booking as a Globalist we also were entitled to late checkout.

Boston was very nice and while we didn’t see everything we did a nice amount. You can probably squeeze more in per day and do most of it in 3 days if necessary. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 02:02:54 PM by mercaz1 »

Offline Geshmak25

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: My Boston 2018 Summer trip
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 01:47:12 PM »
The only complaint with the hotel was the pool. They have a saltwater pool, which personally we did not like. Besides for being saltwater it was not the nicest pool-one weird thing was no steps to get into the poll, they only have ladders. It was a little hard for my younger kids to get out.
That's actually funny because for me the pool was a big positive. The shallow side is something like 3 feet and was great for the younger kids while the deep end was great for the older kids.
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 02:14:04 PM »
you should walk around with a name tag

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 02:36:39 PM »
you should walk around with a name tag
huh
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 03:17:33 PM »
huh

there was a post that was deleted

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 03:25:45 PM »
there was a post that was deleted
Ahh. Hate that.
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline jose34

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 06:23:02 PM »
Here is my trip report for Boston 2018

Boston 2018
2 adults and 3 kids, 10,6, & 3

On Tuesday we drove to Fenway and took the tour of the stadium, which was fascinating and really cool to see the history of the stadium and the Red Sox. My son wore his Yankee t-shirt and the tour guide had fun with him.  The tour is not that long and you don’t get to see the locker rooms but you do see the oldest seats in the stadium behind home plate, the Green Monster, the Ted Williams seat and the press room. The tour is about 1 and ½ hours.  After the tour we went back to the hotel and rested. In the afternoon we went to the Boston Tea Party Museum and Boat. It’s a little bit expensive but it is very cute.  They have actors in costume. They reenact the Tea Party and every kid has a chance to throw tea overboard into the harbor. The whole thing is about 2 hours. The kids said it was the best thing they did in Boston. We then went back to JP Licks before dinner. We went to Rami’s for dinner. Decent food but long wait and not a lot of seating. After dinner we went back the hotel and went swimming.

Seems like a similar tour that give in Baltimore of Camden Yards - without the really old seats  :o.