Author Topic: Benjie's Mini-Getaway thanks to Hyatt's Diamond Match  (Read 6157 times)

Offline benjie1305

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Benjie's Mini-Getaway thanks to Hyatt's Diamond Match
« on: December 25, 2015, 03:23:47 PM »
How this came about:

The seeds for this trip were laid back on November 19th when I first saw that Hyatt was seemingly matching people from different programs into their Diamond Tier through 2017. I, having had nothing but SPG Gold (Thank you Amex Platinum and MP for reminding me of that) and Hilton Gold (Thank you again Amex) decided to email them on my wife's and my behalf and soon after got an email welcoming me into their Diamond Status. That was easy!

I now had 4 DSU's x2 to use by February 2016 which were nice but which I thought would simply end up expiring.

Last week my wife called me to let me know that she saw this and decided to have her parents come visit us from FL. Flights were confirmed soon after and we were already planning activities for that week. It was Sunday when she came up with the idea of potentially going away for Shabbes and I instantly started thinking that this would be a great way to use some of the DSU's I have anyways.

We quickly zeroed in on the Hyatt Regency Long Island as it is close and very inexpensive (to be exact, C&P: 4k+$55). Thankfully the Outage was over and I was able to transfer some UR into Hyatt account and got my 2 rooms booked in a matter of minutes. I then called the Passport line and was confirmed into 2 Executive Suites immediately. We were all set for our Nittel-Shabbes.

Work hard, Play harder!

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
Re: Benjie's Mini-Getaway thanks to Hyatt's Diamond Match
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 04:17:05 PM »
Day 1:

Being that December 25th is the busiest day in my daughters school due to parents bringing and picking up the kids that day, my wife was obviously going to make sure I part take in the madness called "school parking lot". We picked her up at 12:45 and were off to Hauppage.

[On a side note: A day prior I decided to email the GM of the property in order to introduce myself, mention my upcoming stay and status and how much I was looking forward to the stay and hope to possibly score the best room in the house a.k.a the Presidential Suite. I heard back hours later and he told me to check back upon check-in but he believed that, while they would love to give it to me, the room was taken and unavailable until Sunday night.]

It took us around 45 minutes to get to the Hotel and at 1:30 we pulled up. I went in to check us in while the rest was finding parking and got a bell boy to get all of our luggage, kids toys and Shabbes food out of the car.

I went to the check-in counter and was greeted by Karen, who had also helped me on the phone prior. She was great. I don't know if this is "just" Diamond status or if she was just in a good mood but they sure bent over backwards for me (I could really get used to this). She first confirmed that the Presidential Suite was indeed taken and wouldn't be available for my stay and could not stop apologizing for it. She decided that she had to make sure that in addition to my amenity points that I get for both rooms she is also going to put together a welcome kit for me. She ended up organizing fruit platters, several bottles of sparkling water and a draft beer selection for me. She also said that she would throw in some extra Hyatt points for me (we will see how many afterwards). I really couldn't complain and she did everything she could to make me happy.

We are now in the room warming up food and getting ready for Shabbes while they are in the process of bringing up the Pack N' Play.

Pictures and more to follow..

[There also happens to be an Orthodox convention of sorts going on here this weekend which we are all kinda bummed out about a bit. (Just wanted to get away from everyone for a bit) but at least there is a Shabbes elevator operating.]
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline alpicone

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 06:56:49 PM »
I think you inspired me to take a trip to this hotel. Also have a few DSU and won't be able to use it before they expire.

Looking forward to the report.

Offline yochiek93

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 07:07:11 PM »
Sounds great

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 11:58:45 AM »
Pictures:

Bedroom

IMG_1810 by BLR, on Flickr

Living Room

IMG_1816 by BLR, on Flickr

Walk-In / Living room Panorama

IMG_1820_censored by BLR, on Flickr

View from my window

IMG_1813 by BLR, on Flickr

Welcome Kit for each room

IMG_1815 by BLR, on Flickr

Breakfast Area

image by BLR, on Flickr

Breakfast Seating

IMG_1825 by BLR, on Flickr
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 12:15:39 PM »
Day 2/3:

Shabbes was very nice and uneventful. Friday night my daughter "slept over" in my In-laws suite while my son was in his Pack N' Play in our living room.

Couch turning into bed (for my daughter)

IMG_1822 by BLR, on Flickr

Shabbes morning we walk up around to the sound of my son talking and were out and about around 7am (we happen to be early risers). We didn't do too much but read, walk around the property, eat our delicious food my wife prepared and drink our heavenly wine. Shabbes was over around 5:15pm and we headed to the closest restaurant possible > Walmart. We bought Ice cream and had a little party in our room accompanied by a movie before eating the real Saturday night meal, leftovers. Yum! (it actually was delicious!)

This morning we walk up around 6:45am and went down a floor to check on the rest of the family just to find an empty room. They got a head start I guess. So we walked down to breakfast, where we met them(we were on the 7th, my in-laws on the 6th floor). We were greeted by the waiter who arranged a corner for us and brought 2 big tables together in order for the whole family to fit. We had coffee, fruit, some cereal and some other stuff they had available. It was actually a very nice breakfast and the staff was very nice and on top of their game without being too intrusive.

We are soon going to head down to the indoor pool (again) to let the kids "splash around" one last time before eventually returning home.

Overall this was a great stay and I'd do it over and over again. Amenities, staff and area are pleasant and close enough to do this again in the near future. Again, I am not sure how "Diamond" status is supposed to feel, but they sure made me feel like a gem while I was here.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 01:39:22 PM »
Nice little getaway. Sounds like it was relaxing. Was there a minyan due to the convention?

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 01:46:51 PM »

Nice little getaway. Sounds like it was relaxing. Was there a minyan due to the convention?

There was. It was one mega event for orthodox mental health professionals and I believe I ran into rabbi twersky and what not. Kinda the opposite of what I expected from this weekend lol. While they had a minyan, they didn't provide siddurim (byos) so it was a bit all over the place for me and I merely crashed the party for a little before retreating again.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline alpicone

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 04:27:42 PM »
Was the breakfast area for the whole hotel or was it just in the regency club? How was the indoor pool?

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 04:48:11 PM »
Was the breakfast area for the whole hotel or was it just in the regency club? How was the indoor pool?

There is no Club Lounge here which means full complimentary breakfast.

The pool was totally fine and we went with the kids multiple times. I can't wait to go in the summer as well to use the outdoor pool as well.

Here some pictures of the pool (hot and cold) as well as the gym:

AnZjapbBCpiCaoFYlHUIp0wsQIoITOXJOzdv5nF7OztB by BLR, on Flickr

An-flFY70kiyGGfu02SHzkjsj3Ot716Xkqo3_vxvFFS9 by BLR, on Flickr

AvPBWoHXua02x1IkYYde7fU3rpPJN8RcOwNo4NgZcbak by BLR, on Flickr

AjgBFsuaBlo7VD1TEe9j3WKIp8URwlrtxB5UmTQ-PlHk by BLR, on Flickr

Work hard, Play harder!

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 02:43:21 AM »
Nice, going to probably do something similar in the coming weeks using some expiring DSUs.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 04:37:10 AM »
Nice, going to probably do something similar in the coming weeks using some expiring DSUs.

Yep. I'll be going again soon for the same reason and will try for the Presidential Suite. They made it sound like I can get it upon my next visit.

Also want to try the Grand Hyatt in Connecticut. Hear good things about it. 
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline zow

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 10:04:04 PM »
Excellent report.
A few things I really like about it:
1. You show how a regular person (not some super-traveler like Dan) can score status and upgrades and, now, be able to rub elbows with the "big boys." There's hope for the rest of us!
2. You appreciate the special attention that hotel staff show you.  I know it's their job, but I appreciate it, too, and I hope I never take it for granted.
3. You turned what could  have been just another weekend at home into a terrific memory for you and your family, and did it on a shoestring budget.  Love that!

Offline Jm1248

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 10:29:00 PM »
Awesome! Still awaiting a response from Hyatt and then I can hopefully do the same thing.

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 09:39:09 AM »
Excellent report.
A few things I really like about it:
1. You show how a regular person (not some super-traveler like Dan) can score status and upgrades and, now, be able to rub elbows with the "big boys." There's hope for the rest of us!
2. You appreciate the special attention that hotel staff show you.  I know it's their job, but I appreciate it, too, and I hope I never take it for granted.
3. You turned what could  have been just another weekend at home into a terrific memory for you and your family, and did it on a shoestring budget.  Love that!

Thanks!

1) All of us can. Less then a year ago I had nada and through DDF and help from individuals I learned the ropes to get started.
2) I definitely do. It probably helps that I am relatively new to this and have only recently started taking advantage of all this. Others have experiences that outweigh mine by a mile so this would have possibly not been noteworthy to them. I get it.
3) I did have a great time and will definitely go back and can only recommend the place.

Awesome! Still awaiting a response from Hyatt and then I can hopefully do the same thing.

Great!
Work hard, Play harder!